Old 18 January 2020, 13:55   #1

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Single vs tandem axle trailer

I have a Zodiac Hurricane 590 that lives on a single-axle trailer. We are contemplating a long trip pulling the boat, and I am wondering about adding another axle to the trailer. I've spoken to the mechanic that services my trailer bearings and so on and he thinks the work could be done quite easily. I wouldn't bother with brakes on this axle I don't think, to save cost and complexity.

I am wondering if anyone has any real world comparison. I understand the manoeuvring in tight quarters can be tricky, and that towing mileage suffers a little, but beyond that, is there anything I am overlooking?

I like the idea of redundancy of tires, bearings etc. for a long trip.

Thanks!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 15:07   #2

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I currently have a 17' Dory on a twin axled trailer. Both axles are braked.
Have previously had single axled boat trailers.

I tow with a Range Rover Classic.

As you're in Canada check your local laws re brakes on both axles.

Not aware of any issues affecting mileage per gallon, bit of extra weight but can't say I've noticed anything.

I have a very long jockey wheel assembly & can lift the wheels of the front axle off the ground so manouvering by hand is easy.
If not, you are always trying to slide two of the wheels sideways. That's hard work & best done on the car.

It might get you out of a spot if a bearing goes, 3 wheels on my wagon etc...but I've never tried mine with a wheel off.
That said, years ago I had a tyre completely shred on a twin axle caravan (brand new van, collected it a couple of days previously) & the first I knew of it was other drivers overtaking & making gestures. Hadn't felt a thing.
I'd still advise carrying a spare wheel & hub so might you be better with your single axle carrying two wheels & a couple of hubs?
Spares might be a stowage problem unless your new extra axle is the same as the original & all bits are the same so you just need to carry one set.

I find twins nicer to tow, less snaking caused by sudden crosswinds - or National Express coaches overtaking at warp 8. The whole rig -car & trailer - moves uniformly instead.
Old 18 January 2020, 15:47   #3

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Thanks Paintman. The axle I have now was replaced a couple of years ago. It had gone flat. I think the boat, when it's loaded with fuel and dive gear, is pretty close to the max weight of the trailer. That's part of my thinking as well. Any axle assembly I added would be the same as the current one.

It's really just a piece of mind thing. We're contemplating a tow from Toronto area to the Florida Keys (about 2500 km each way) so I think the piece of mind I'd gain might be worth it.

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote