Old 30 December 2013, 22:11   #1

Town: Midlands - Wolverhampton
Make: BWM DS21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Silly question no1

Ok so here's the first question I could do with some help with.

Before I start on the rib itself I've got to get it off the trailer to fix the trailer up but what do I put it on, stands etc?

For info it's a BWM Deep sea 21 with a 150 outboard hanging off the back. Lifting it isn't a problem and I have a friend who will make/weld whatever sort of stand I need I just don't know what to ask him to make!

Thought's were to make whatever it is I have made high enough to enable me to do any work on the hull (hint for a future question there!) I need to do without having to lie on the floor for hours.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 30 December 2013, 22:53   #2

Town: Plymouth
Get yourself plenty of car tyres, some blocks of wood and assuming your trailer is a roller model simply roll it off onto the tyres. Then recover when done.

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 31 December 2013, 09:23   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
have a look at SBS Trailers website, they make showroom dollies which sound like what you're after
Old 31 December 2013, 17:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
have a look at SBS Trailers website, they make showroom dollies which sound like what you're after
Thanks Chris

They do look like they would do the trick, I won't need to move the boat though so no need for wheels. I was thinking about trying to make some V shaped stands, maybe a stand at the transom and a second stand under the console, maybe with tyres on the top to protect the hull. That way I could make it a bit taller to make working on the hull easier. While a pile of tyres may work, trying to get the antifoul off the hull will be tricky that way.

One thing I forgot to say was I am planning to leave the engine on the transom so figured I would need support quite far back. Being very new to this I don't know how strong these hulls are and how much support they need on land.

I'll maybe do a fag packet sketch of what I was envisaging and post it up for people to point and laugh and tell me how I'm about to break the boat
Old 31 December 2013, 17:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
Thanks Chris

They do look like they would do the trick, I won't need to move the boat though so no need for wheels. I was thinking about trying to make some V shaped stands, maybe a stand at the transom and a second stand under the console, maybe with tyres on the top to protect the hull. That way I could make it a bit taller to make working on the hull easier. While a pile of tyres may work, trying to get the antifoul off the hull will be tricky that way.

One thing I forgot to say was I am planning to leave the engine on the transom so figured I would need support quite far back. Being very new to this I don't know how strong these hulls are and how much support they need on land.

I'll maybe do a fag packet sketch of what I was envisaging and post it up for people to point and laugh and tell me how I'm about to break the boat
I don't think leaving the engine on will cause much problem as it won't be getting bounced around like it does when being towed on a trailer, you could fit some rollers instead of bunks so you could move the rib on the frame to get at the hull, the hulls are usually fairly strong so you should be ok, I'm sure someone will be along with a better suggestion once you post your fag packet designs
Old 01 January 2014, 12:19   #6

Ok this was the sort of thing I had in mind.

Can anyone see any pitfalls/problems?

Told you it would be fag packet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	88715  
Old 01 January 2014, 12:29   #7

think one of the reasons SBS make a frame is to give it strength with cross bracing etc, your fag packet design will need extra bracing to stop it just folding up, so by the time you have built 2 or 3 frames you would be better of with something similar to the SBS design, just what I think of course
Old 01 January 2014, 12:31   #8

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
It won't need a load of support, ease the back end offf the trailer to just before the balance point, jack it up as high as you can get it and prop the arse end up, pull the trailer out to just before where it starts to rise at the front and shove a big block under it, it's off.
It helps to tie the back end to something that won't move before you try pulling the trailer out
Old 01 January 2014, 14:05   #9

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yam 115
Agree with the above post about getting it off the trailer & on to blocks or tyres. Just a thought about the support though. I have been working under a 23 ft cruiser (2 & 1/2 ton) the last couple of weeks, using the metal supports that can be wound up or down. A bit like 'acro' props? Just support temporary with wooden stays/beams to enable you to slide the metal supports into a different position!
I'm sure if you contact your local marina or yard they would hire you these supports for little cost? Have fun!
Old 01 January 2014, 14:51   #10

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnscubanut View Post
Agree with the above post about getting it off the trailer & on to blocks or tyres. Just a thought about the support though. I have been working under a 23 ft cruiser (2 & 1/2 ton) the last couple of weeks, using the metal supports that can be wound up or down. A bit like 'acro' props? Just support temporary with wooden stays/beams to enable you to slide the metal supports into a different position! I'm sure if you contact your local marina or yard they would hire you these supports for little cost? Have fun!
I know they guy who makes the stands, he's a gent, he does centre blocks to match
Old 03 January 2014, 22:37   #11

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Are ya gonna huve tae do owt ti' bottom o' t'hull?

If so rolling it over has to be the best option. Don't ask me how I know - I might swear at ya!
Old 03 January 2014, 23:22   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Are ya gonna huve tae do owt ti' bottom o' t'hull?
I am yep (see my other recent thread for those questions lol) but I'm really trying to avoid turning it over as I really don't want to attempt taking the engine off.

I am going to make the stands quite tall though so I can work on the hull with the boat at a convenient height.
Old 03 January 2014, 23:51   #13

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I got a friend with a sling off the back of a tractor's back actor to lift mine well high.

If you do anything to the bottom of the hull standing over it will more than compensate for the engine removal.....

Working with your hands above about shoulder height will last a matter of minutes before you want to stop.
Old 04 January 2014, 02:54   #14

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Engine: Suzuki 250
I did my 24' zodiac 733 with a bunch of old tires (tyres?) and a few big young football (american style) players from my local college. I had a roller trailer. Pulling the engine off is easy if you have a auto engine hoist. I used one for a suzuki 250. Don't over design it. Here is a guy who purchased some commercial jacks. It's an 18' plywood and glass boat. Might weigh less than yours but not by much, Bateau2 - Builder Forums • View topic - Phantom 18 Repairs

Jason