Old 15 June 2014, 17:19   #1

Town: Midlands - Wolverhampton
Make: BWM DS21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Setting up rollers

I've tried a search but not found anything yet and I'm sure this must have come up but how do you setup the rollers on the trailer in the correct position?

Basically I've totally refurbed my trailer and fitted new swing beam etc but don't really know where to start with positioning the roller sets.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rob
Old 17 June 2014, 22:44   #2

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Setting up rollers

I just went through this with my new trailer (with help from Steve of South Coast Trailers).

First I put the rear rollers at a "looks about rightish" width. Then I pulled the boat onto it and adjusted the bow stopper to put the boat in a position where the rear roller is about 1" from the transom to minimise overhang (& weight of the motor pulling down on the boat).

I then looked more closely at the width of the rear rollers and set them across the swing beam so that they straddle the chines (I also managed to get my inner rollers to fit just outside of the step in the hull, thus locking the hull in so it can't move side to side). This does mean I have to be more precise when recovering the boat but it's not too bad.

The front rollers were just set up to straddle the chines and the middle bow roller adjusted up to just take a bit of weight.

Which chines you straddle is up to you but the wider the rollers are, the lower the boat will sit & lower centre of gravity is. Hopefully giving a better ride.

I hope this makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2014, 22:46   #3

RIBase
Setting up rollers

Forgot to say - make sure you pick a quiet day at the slip as I took three attempts to tweak it into the right position!

Old 17 June 2014, 23:32   #4

Many thanks for the reply. I actually had a go at this tonight with a friend or 3 and as luck would have it we actually did pretty much the same thing as you.

Measured the hull and set the rear rollers where we thought they should go, we actually ended up moving them in about 15mm each as when we first tried to winch the boat on the keel just hit the swing beam before the rollers picked it up. Then set the winch post so it gave 25mm overhang at back of rear roller.

I have to add though that we didn't have a slip way so we were simulating a worst case scenario of a beach launch and winching the boat off the floor onto the trailer.

Then set front rollers to straddle chines and moved bow keel roller to take some weight.

As luck would have it when we fitted the new axle we guessed at its position and the tow hitch weight was almost spot on so we didn't need to move it.

Brake cables, flush kit and lighting board to fit tomorrow and that should be it!
Old 17 June 2014, 23:33   #5

RIBase
Happy with that!

Old 19 June 2014, 23:48   #6

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: Ribcraft 6.4 Pro
Engine: Suzuki DF150
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
I've tried a search but not found anything yet and I'm sure this must have come up but how do you setup the rollers on the trailer in the correct position?

Basically I've totally refurbed my trailer and fitted new swing beam etc but don't really know where to start with positioning the roller sets.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Rob
Hi Desertrat
Just looking at your details on the left and it appears we both have a BWM deepsea 21.
I currently have a bunked trailer. Although quite new it's a royal pain in the arse launching and recovering.
I would be interested in see pics of your boat on its trailer as i am considering converting the trailer to rollers.

Thanks
Simon.
Old 20 June 2014, 00:05   #7

No probs, I'll take some tomorrow and post them up.

Cheers
Rob