Old 27 April 2015, 16:51   #21

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yup.. the eye bolt that you attach the winch to.. or tow the boat with..it was a 10m one just like this. Sticks out the front of the bow just under the gunwhale

However as stated..it was my own fault..winching the boat on the trailer loaded..normally it would be floated onto the trailer... only I wasn’t waiting for the tide to come in. You can tow the boat on water no problem. I didnt say I was winching it from the water..perhaps that has caused the confusion.

My reply was to answer the question..will the eyebolt snap..or will you pull the GRP front off your boat. On the boat I had then..the eyebolt went through the grp hull which has a metal band embedded in the grp..then a large metal washer before the nut on the inside of the hull. On this particular boat..it was easy to get to the inside nut to replace the eyebolt..just open the bow locker in the cuddy..and it was there.

The eyebolt should be the weak link..my winch tape wasn’t.. I snaffled it from work..and they use them to hold down JCB’s onto transporters. The eyebolt sheered on the threaded part..not the loop. Its a pain trying to get a boat on a trailer without an eyebolt..hence my reason for carrying the spare.

As originally stated..in a well designed boat..the eyebolt should break before you pull the front off your hull. Some people like me can abuse the load it is expected to pull .. so its like a fuse to save the hull.
Old 27 April 2015, 17:01   #22

Length: 7m +
Sounds like youve done sensible things but I would not thread a strap or rope through A Frame and then through the d rings at the back if I read that correctly, in an accident the A frame may shift, use the d bolts with the ratchet straps at the back but not through the a frame. As to ropes over tubes, if you have a boat cover you could put ropes over just to keep cover on but not too tight. I tow my boat with winch strap nattached plus two ratchet straps at front through bow ring, plus two at back through d rings, then with cover in place two over the cover, one at front and one at back just to stop it flapping in parts.

Tags
rib