Old 28 May 2009, 12:03   #1

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
Roller Verses Bunks?

My trailer is currently set with rollers that all need to be repositioned. Someone suggested that I just go ahead and replace the rollers with bunks.

I see where my SR6 will sit lower on the trailer by a few inches.

Yesterday I looked at the US Coast Guards trailers that are bunk style with some sort of poly on the bunks which they said allows the boat to slide nicely on the bunks. I more commonly see bunks being only carpeted.

What do you think?
Old 28 May 2009, 13:26   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Bunks are more popular in the USA but Rollers in the UK. It could be because of the tidal conditions we have - some of us have 40' tides to deal with!!!

I have used both but prefer rollers - you can drive the boat up onto the trailer and it is also much easier to launch.

A common mistake people make with rollers is to put the trailer in too deep - letting the boat float onto the trailer - the rollers aren't doing their job in helping position the boat.

You say they all need adjusting - is that a problem?

When you mentioned the bunks being plastic it was an idea I had a long time ago - it was discussed on here somewhere. Basically you can use something slippery like polypropylene and attach it with countersunk screws or bolts.
Old 28 May 2009, 14:22   #3

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
Adjusting is not really a problem. It was just recommended that if I was going to take the time to reposition a lot of the rollers that I might as well go a little further and replace with bunks and lower the boat a few inches on the trailer to assist in loading the boat with dive equipment. Currently I see that some of the rollers are hitting on the chines and not on flatter portions of the hull.

In Michigan it is unacceptable to “power load” your boat onto the trailer. It tends to wash the material away at the bottom of the ramp which creates a ledge that larger trailers may drop off of at the bottom of the concrete. Not a problem with normal water levels but we have been bellow normal levels for several years now.

I do have poly strips on my Personal Water Craft trailer and I can make those slide with little effort bone dry.

One thing I just thought about is that if I lowered the boat on the trailer the skeg of the motor will be closer to the ground. That couple of inches could be a safety margin in case I pull a bone head move and leave the motor in the down position while pulling out of the water.
Old 28 May 2009, 15:04   #4

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Having had both I would always go for Rollers. Much easier to launch etc.
Old 28 May 2009, 16:04   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Minnow View Post
Yesterday I looked at the US Coast Guards trailers that are bunk style with some sort of poly on the bunks which they said allows the boat to slide nicely on the bunks. I more commonly see bunks being only carpeted.
FWIW, I looked into this a while back. The plastic glide thingies on the CG SAFE boat trailers are standard equipment from the SAFE Boat factory; they sell them direct. Don't remember pricing, but they said they come sized to fit 4" and 6" bunks, and they didn't seem to me to be particularly cheap.

I was thinking of putting them on the forward portion of the bunks only, for when I need to winch the boat up (rear will have the least pressure as the boat will be floating; then, when out of the water, the lack of glide pieces at the back will give it a bit of traction.)

http://www.safeboats.com/default/contact.php

and tell them you are interested in the bunk slick pieces they use on the Defender trailers.

jky