Old 17 November 2011, 20:14   #1

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Retro fitting bearing savers

I am considering fitting bearing savers to my twin axle it's an Admiral trailer with peak axles, what I want to know is when you take the drum off are the B savers easy to get off.
Old 18 November 2011, 08:20   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
See my post here bearings. They are tricky if you don't use the right technique.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 15:40   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
You take them off before pulling the drum, as they block access to the castellated nut.

Usually I use a mallet or hammer, and whack the bearing saver from 4 points around the diameter, which walks them out of the bore. Some are more stubborn than others (which is a good thing, as they are less likely to go solo rolling down the road.)

Only other advice I've got is to not get too crazy pumping grease into them. It's fairly easy to blow out the rear seal if you are overzealous about greasing. Pumping it in until the spring loaded cap moves a bit is about right.

jky
Old 18 November 2011, 18:54   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by discomick View Post
I am considering fitting bearing savers to my twin axle it's an Admiral trailer with peak axles
The bearings savers you see fitted to Indespension's trailers (the sprung loaded type) generally (only generally - before anyone shouts! ) fit only their own drums. The bearing saver size is 50.25mm.

Most Peak drums, for twin axle trailers, have a 51mm dust cap size (200mm and 203mm). The larger drums (250mm and 300mm) have a 70mm dust cap size. It'd be worth whipping a dust cap out and accurately measuring the internal boss diameter. Don't be tempted to measure the dust cap as they often distort and will give you a false measurement! Obviously, that 0.75mm means that the bearing savers will just drop out though if you have the 70mm size boss then you could get a packer / shim to make up the difference.

Beware false imitations too! You can buy 'bearing savers' and 'bearing buddies', but they're not sprung loaded. Ergo, you've just paid for a glorified dust cap with a grease nipple in it....

Sorry, all sounds a bit gloomy, which wasn't my intention - just want you to make sure you get the right thing!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2011, 19:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy

The bearings savers you see fitted to Indespension's trailers (the sprung loaded type) generally (only generally - before anyone shouts! ) fit only their own drums. The bearing saver size is 50.25mm.

Most Peak drums, for twin axle trailers, have a 51mm dust cap size (200mm and 203mm). The larger drums (250mm and 300mm) have a 70mm dust cap size. It'd be worth whipping a dust cap out and accurately measuring the internal boss diameter. Don't be tempted to measure the dust cap as they often distort and will give you a false measurement! Obviously, that 0.75mm means that the bearing savers will just drop out though if you have the 70mm size boss then you could get a packer / shim to make up the difference.

Beware false imitations too! You can buy 'bearing savers' and 'bearing buddies', but they're not sprung loaded. Ergo, you've just paid for a glorified dust cap with a grease nipple in it....

Sorry, all sounds a bit gloomy, which wasn't my intention - just want you to make sure you get the right thing!
I emailed peak the other day to see if they can tell me the size where is the best place to get them.
Old 18 November 2011, 19:46   #6

Any news from them?
Old 18 November 2011, 20:18   #7

No might ring them next week we have a indespension centre near by will go there and ask I have all the serial no, the trailer needs new brakes bearings etc towing a 6.5 m rib with no brakes is not much fun.
Old 18 November 2011, 22:01   #8

if you have any trouble identifying the bits just drop me a line, I'll be happy to help.
Old 19 November 2011, 23:22   #9

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post

I've got Bearing Buddies fitted to mine and I've just seen off the third year without bearing replacement.

Am I lucky? What's your experience of these?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2011, 09:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I've got Bearing Buddies fitted to mine and I've just seen off the third year without bearing replacement.

Am I lucky? What's your experience of these?

Hi Hightower, I think you're one of the sensible ones who keeps them topped up with grease ...

A lot of people assume they work the same as a 'bearing saver' i.e. continuous pressure pushing grease in, where as they just act as a reservoir. So if you don't keep them full of grease they won't do much.
Old 20 November 2011, 14:00   #11

Town: Fareham
I do keep them topped up and have a little sprung loaded releaf valve so that I don't blow the seals out the back when topping up.

I'm running out of grease and need some more stocks. What do you recommend?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2011, 14:44   #12

I use Castrol Pyroplex Blue (don't eat it or get it in your eye ):

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...roplexBlue.pdf

I buy the big drums, but you can get it in tube form too. Quick search brought this up:

2 x 400g cartridges of Castrol Pyroplex Blue 4x4 | eBay

Though you may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere. It's quite expensive, but I'll be damned if I change someone's bearings and they ring me up to tell they've gone the next season, for the sake of the grease!