Old 25 June 2012, 13:02   #31

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
MMSI: -
Just had a look at a 2008/08 Passat 4motion, great car but VW advised me they have quite a few problems with the electronic gubbins on the rear cailipers which operate the electronic handbrake. They said if I get the rear wheels / caliper wet with sea water it will probably cost be between 200 and 500 quid each and every time. Some of the slips I use this is a hard to avoid without messing around for ages with bits of rope..

Will look at the Skoda options without an electric handbrake or possibly even look at a Honda CRV with the extra ground clearance, still more economical than an Allroad

Old 25 June 2012, 13:43   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
A lot of cars seem to have EPB these days never had any trouble with my D3 & D4 got them wet loads of times
Old 25 June 2012, 14:21   #33

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Just had a look at a 2008/08 Passat 4motion, great car but VW advised me they have quite a few problems with the electronic gubbins on the rear cailipers which operate the electronic handbrake. They said if I get the rear wheels / caliper wet with sea water it will probably cost be between 200 and 500 quid each and every time. Some of the slips I use this is a hard to avoid without messing around for ages with bits of rope..

Will look at the Skoda options without an electric handbrake or possibly even look at a Honda CRV with the extra ground clearance, still more economical than an Allroad
Had the previous model CR-V from new, reliable, brisk (for an SUV), good tow car even with over the plated weight on the back. No faults at all over 120k miles. Had an X-trail as well with similar qualities. Both had real life mpg around 40.
Old 25 June 2012, 14:48   #34

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
anyone any experience with the mitsubishi outlander????
Old 25 June 2012, 14:56   #35

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Yep. I did a fair bit of work for Mitsubishi at the time of the launch. Did some fairly hefty off road tracks in it, way more than the average Joe would do towing a horse box across a field. It went well and didn't need towing out by the pick ups with heavy tread tyres.

Personal views are that it was very plasticky and wouldn't stand the test of time and no idea how it stacks up four years later. Fundamentally the same as the Peugeot and Citroen but with different engines IIRC.

Not for me and I've been dissed on here for owning a Land Cruiser. Apparently that's a hair dressers car too!!!!