Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 June 2012, 04:28   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: surrey
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 322
kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonmark35 View Post
We borrowed a brand new Kuga the other day to tow a SR 6m down to Cornwall from Portsmouth. Lovely car and surprisingly upmarket for a Ford. I think the price reflects this fact though.... It too was an AWD model but I must admit I cant agree with regards to the comment "it tows like its not there". Sure its a great tow car and I like it a lot but as for towing like the boat was not there - I'm not sure about that.

Nice car though but I think residual prices are still quite high at present.
i should have stated it's the higher output tdci model with the towing stability program activated. (for some reason you have to specify this when you have the tow bar fitted, a simple software update at your ford dealer)
__________________

__________________
wellhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 04:47   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
MMSI: -
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 504
Thanks everyone. The Kia which has received a lot of comments appears to be uneconomical (avg 35.8mpg, slowish, very heavy on co2 emmisions (209g/km) etc. Sure it would suit lots of people, but if I was buying something that heavy on fuel and co2 I'd defintiely go for an Audi Allroad. Test drove one last night, for a 2004 model with half a billion miles it drove like a new car still. Faultless.

I tested the diesel Outback at a Subaru dealership yesterday and when I querried clutch problems they admitted they had dozens of problems and that they had been adding electronic updates to the ECU's on all diesel subaru's to limit torque when pulling away. Not really what you want for a tow car!

Think I'm going to look for a newer Passat 4motion and try and source some VW 'rough road' springs from europe to increase ground clearance a couple of inches and stiffen the suspension.

44mpg, 0-60 in 10.5 sec, only 159g Co2 and its fully galvanised. Can't go too far wrong with that!
__________________

__________________
diver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 07:50   #23
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Thanks everyone. The Kia which has received a lot of comments appears to be uneconomical (avg 35.8mpg, slowish, very heavy on co2 emmisions (209g/km) etc. Sure it would suit lots of people, but if I was buying something that heavy on fuel and co2 I'd defintiely go for an Audi Allroad. Test drove one last night, for a 2004 model with half a billion miles it drove like a new car still. Faultless.
Totally agree. My 2005 Allroad was a brilliant car, but I have to admit I got a little scared by the whisperings of high cost failures of the air suspension that seem to happen at around 100K miles. So I have now gone for the fastest tow car award with a new 3.0 Tdi A6 Quattro
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 08:02   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: EXETER
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90HP 4stroke
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
Totally agree. My 2005 Allroad was a brilliant car, but I have to admit I got a little scared by the whisperings of high cost failures of the air suspension that seem to happen at around 100K miles. So I have now gone for the fastest tow car award with a new 3.0 Tdi A6 Quattro
I have an A4 Quattro 3.0 tdi (2006) and i am thinking of having a removable tow bar fitted to tow my 5.6m Avon rib. Does anyone on here have experience of this cars towing capabilities? I think my rib, engine, trailer combo is around 1350kg and no brakes on trailer at present Will this car be up to the job????
__________________
Wahoo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 08:26   #25
Member
 
Landlockedpirate's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo! View Post
I have an A4 Quattro 3.0 tdi (2006) and i am thinking of having a removable tow bar fitted to tow my 5.6m Avon rib. Does anyone on here have experience of this cars towing capabilities? I think my rib, engine, trailer combo is around 1350kg and no brakes on trailer at present Will this car be up to the job????
You need to fit brakes, its not legal ( or safe ) without them over 750kg. Audi will pull it easily, used one to tow a heavier plant trailer, really good tow car.
__________________
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 15:34   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
I like the car but one more breakdown means it goes........
Bruce I can't decide whether I am just lucky or you are plain unlucky!
Virtually same car and boat set up and we haven't had a problem with either - but your humber and kia have apparently both caused grief. I'm not gonna ask you to buy me a lottery ticket bud
__________________
Dave M
www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 18:36   #27
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Bruce I can't decide whether I am just lucky or you are plain unlucky!
Virtually same car and boat set up and we haven't had a problem with either - but your humber and kia have apparently both caused grief. I'm not gonna ask you to buy me a lottery ticket bud
You should-Sod's law says the ticket will only win if he buys it for someone else
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 19:16   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Length: 5m +
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,908
Its funny in that my last car, a Jeep Cherokee, was treated like s*it and never looked after but ran for 10 years without missing a beat and was still going strong when I sold it.
The Kia is cossetted, serviced, does fewer miles cos we have a second car for work and seems to be breaking down without warning twice a year roughly since we got it.

As far as boats are concerned its not just me, my mate with a similiar aged Destroyer sent me a pic today and his transom is cracked in exactly the same place and he doesn't know why either.............
To be fair it was only the first crack on my boat that was unexplained, the second one was simply caused by an initial botched repair at the factory of the original crack...........

Personally I think I am extremely lucky, generally............
__________________
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 05:42   #29
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,270
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Think I'm going to look for a newer Passat 4motion and try and source some VW 'rough road' springs from europe to increase ground clearance a couple of inches and stiffen the suspension.

44mpg, 0-60 in 10.5 sec, only 159g Co2 and its fully galvanised. Can't go too far wrong with that!
Good luck with your search. It's a rare car to find, especially within budget.

A comparable car would have been the Audi A4 1.9 TDI avant quattro (130PS). The B6 model was made up to 2004, managed 52 mpg coupled with 6 speed manual transmission, 157g CO2, galvanised bodywork, 0-60 in 10.4 seconds, etc. However now über-rare but still sought after - only high mileage cars on the market, although to be fair they'll do 200k easily. The Passat still wins hands down in terms of interior space though.

This one is outwith budget, but something similar with slightly higher miles should bring the cost down. 2009 Volkswagen Passat 2.0 SPORT TDI 4MOTION 5DR
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 11:58   #30
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Personally I think I am extremely lucky, generally............
good on ya then Brucie
__________________

__________________
Dave M
www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.