Click Here to Login

Old 27 June 2016, 22:47   #1
alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Replacement jockey wheel with beach wheel?

Hi all,
Jockey wheel (whole assembly) is knackered on my Thundercat trailer... as in it won't screw up and down.

So, need to replace the whole assembly. As we tend to just drag the trailer round the yard by hand and often on a beach, why not get a fat beach buggy style wheel.... you know what I mean, sure you've seen them before... wheel with air on it as opposed to solid.

I'm looking for one with a long shaft / rod / arm / whatever-its-called so that the bow of the boat sits at least level (don't want water collecting in the boat).

Anyone got any recommendations as to where to purchase? I'll be purchasing online as i'm in Ireland.
Old 28 June 2016, 07:17   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I have one like this https://www.bodyshop-tools-supplies....Fagy0wodJ9gDEA

Inner tubes don't lay long so get a spare there are double wheel ones if load is heavy but a thunder at is light on soft sand it's useless even with low pressure
Old 28 June 2016, 10:14   #3

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
I've had one of these from the start of this year and so far pleased, we launch/recover from the beach so it's made things easier

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152047923802
Old 28 June 2016, 12:30   #4

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Hi all,
Jockey wheel (whole assembly) is knackered on my Thundercat trailer... as in it won't screw up and down.

So, need to replace the whole assembly. As we tend to just drag the trailer round the yard by hand and often on a beach, why not get a fat beach buggy style wheel.... you know what I mean, sure you've seen them before... wheel with air on it as opposed to solid.

I'm looking for one with a long shaft / rod / arm / whatever-its-called so that the bow of the boat sits at least level (don't want water collecting in the boat).

Anyone got any recommendations as to where to purchase? I'll be purchasing online as i'm in Ireland.
Jockey Wheels, Jockey Wheel for Caravan - Towsure.com
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2016, 17:06   #5

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
PUNCTURE PROOF PU TYRE on Red Wheel ONE ONLY - jockey wheels / spare wheel etc. | eBay

Had a lot of jockey wheels in the past rust finds its way into the internal thread it pays to spray/flush up with water after a dip in the briney but I would recommend the yellow tyres
Old 03 July 2016, 02:04   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
There are various options in the Maypole catalogues, I have a MP9745 48mm ribbed jockey wheel on mine which is superb and very easy to use as it can take up to 500kg noseweight, I also use them on my Ifor trailers and on the boat trailer it is high enough to let the boat drain out the trunk even with 32" Land Rover tyres on the boat trailer. That comes with a solid wheel but they also supply various pneumatic wheels for very low cost so you could mix and match. Only downside is Maypole themselves are trade only so you need to find an outlet but if you Google the Maypole number you will get loads of returns.

Whole assemblies:

JOCKEY WHEELS

Wheels:

JOCKEY WHEEL SPARE WHEELS

The PDF catalogues give all the specs on everything inc all measurements etc

As already said, any small wheel will be useless on a soft surface.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2016, 22:38   #7

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
something that might prove interesting to some is I made a double wide jockey wheel from a pair of split rim trolley tyres ,I did this for a beach fishing cart originally as follows ,
if you buy a couple of split rim trolley wheels and cut some tube spacers to put between the two halves ,(you will need tubes as well as there is no inner dia seal ) then buy the old fashioned type tyres like originally used on a builders barrow but smaller , with your spaced rim because those tyres have no defined side walls when inflated on the wide rim they will inflate wide and rounded , perfect for a beach jockey wheel ,same diameter bolt as a jockey and put one wheel either side
probhably at this stage many think I have gone mad but its true its the cheapest solution you will ever see ,I must be honest and my fishing trolley was useless on shingle where I mainly fish but I gave them to a friend who mounted them on an old jockey wheel mechanism for his fishing boat and they enable him to winch the boat up the beach from the promenade without being near the boat ,
I will try and get a picture and upload ,