Old 18 June 2008, 14:53   #1

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Recovery with strong cross tide

Being new to Ribbing, my wife and I were fairly nervous about our first launch. We went down to Itchenor a few weeks back and launched our pride and joy at low tide with the greatest of ease.

Recovery however was a totally different experience. The tide was on its way in and the current was extremely fast. We tried and failed to recover about 5 times before we repositioned the trailer so that we could point the rib more into the current. Eventually after about 1/2 an hour of trying and failing (including mounting the wrong side of the trailer scratching the hull and dinking the prop) we finally recovered all be it with the rib not quite straight on its rollers.

Are there any quick fixes or easy ways to recover and launch when the current (or wind) is very strong. Having thought about it a solution might be to have a man in the water up wind/current of the trailer with a bow and stern line to the rib holding it straight. The problem I can see with this is that if one of the lines gets dropped and ends up round the prob.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated
Old 18 June 2008, 15:38   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
i too use a slip which is usually sideways to wind and tide and is only 75 meters from the main shipping lane so we catch big wash too , most boats using the slip from fishing boats ,yachts ,ribs all have 2 posts mounted on the side of the trailor like a goal post ,even just one mounted on the down wind side makes a big difference when recovering. most of us make them out of scaffolding poles and mine uses a clamp so it can be removed for road use, have a look at rnli atlantic lifeboats as their trailors have the same idea only they can extend 4 meters high for when the surfs up,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	own boat 021.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	35621  
Old 18 June 2008, 16:49   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
As said, two or even four guide poles on the trailer are probably the best bet, so you can stick the bow in between the poles and then use hard left or right on the wheel to straighten things up before going ahead. They are on my round tuit list, one day

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 16:56   #4

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Ghost
Make: Scorpion
Length: 10m +
Hi MT
We launch and recover at Itchenor, have done for the last few years, like you in the early days had our occasional dramas, what we have picked up is that subject to tide heights the flow varies, guess you have got that bit, but as a rule we lay the trailer up so that we drive into the current/wind as much as pos, drive with conviction and as soon as you get on the first rollers let her come round and settle, check set up ok and drive/steer her round, assume your roller set up is good, she should ride on level. Another option is to pop into the chi marina slip and practice away from all the ice cream on lookers staring at all the mishaps, think we provide a lot of entertainment for them. Also look out for the WW divers when they come in for any other top tips, whats your rib will look out for you. Hope that helps and goodluck.
Phil
Old 18 June 2008, 18:27   #5

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
We recovered the training RIB at the end of the PBII course a year ago. Just steered the bow into the roller set, used the engines to position the stern inline with the trailer, then we used the power from the engines to push the bow up and onto the rollers, using the engine thrust to hold us there whilst we checked the front rollers where properly positioned and connected the winch for recovery. Took up slack of the winch strap and switched off engines and tilted up.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2008, 20:30   #6

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
We recovered the training RIB at the end of the PBII course a year ago. Just steered the bow into the roller set, used the engines to position the stern inline with the trailer, then we used the power from the engines to push the bow up and onto the rollers, using the engine thrust to hold us there whilst we checked the front rollers where properly positioned and connected the winch for recovery. Took up slack of the winch strap and switched off engines and tilted up.
Rollercoaster trailers are great for this. Not so easy with bunk type trailers though, as a kid I remember struggling many times with my Dad, it really used to stress him out!
Old 18 June 2008, 22:08   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
...2 posts mounted on the side of the trailor like a goal post ,even just one mounted on the down wind side makes a big difference when recovering. most of us make them out of scaffolding poles
I have seen a modification which would seem to reduce the risk of damage to your tubes. Fit plastic drain/waste pipe loosely over the the metal upright and it will rotate as the boat moves forward.
Old 18 June 2008, 22:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I have seen a modification which would seem to reduce the risk of damage to your tubes. Fit plastic drain/waste pipe loosely over the the metal upright and it will rotate as the boat moves forward.
yes another good idea will try that next time i use her, will save on the varnish ,the only pic i could find with poles was the one with my other boat on errrrrr hard boat ., well some one has to have one ,but only used her 3 times in 2 years much prefer the sib.
Old 18 June 2008, 22:57   #9

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
One of the biggest mistakes most people make is to have the trailer in too deep and try and float the boat on - you need to be able to drive onto the trailer so that the rollers will guide the boat properly.
Old 19 June 2008, 05:46   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
One of the biggest mistakes most people make is to have the trailer in too deep and try and float the boat on - you need to be able to drive onto the trailer so that the rollers will guide the boat properly.
Depends on your set up my rib floats on over a trailer which is deep then settles as we pull it out, with removable steel poles covered in clear plastic pipe either side to guide it onto the rollers. They are also great if you have a side wind/tide or the wash from other boats to contend with

Jim
Old 19 June 2008, 07:35   #11

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
waders and the hand winch usually sort the problem out. how big is your rib?

The real solution to this however is practice, it's how I got better, spend a quiet day on the slipway launch and recover the boat 10 or so times maybe have an experienced buddy with you and work out the best way for you.

When I used to instruct I really used to enjoy the slipway section but to me it's the most dangerous part of the whole boating experience. If you want to pick my brains (quite a quick process normally) call me on 07859886431 but be quick cos I'm back offshore soon .

stu
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2008, 15:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
waders and the hand winch usually sort the problem out. how big is your rib?

The real solution to this however is practice, it's how I got better, spend a quiet day on the slipway launch and recover the boat 10 or so times maybe have an experienced buddy with you and work out the best way for you.

When I used to instruct I really used to enjoy the slipway section but to me it's the most dangerous part of the whole boating experience. If you want to pick my brains (quite a quick process normally) call me on 07859886431 but be quick cos I'm back offshore soon .

stu
I think your right R.W about the slipway bit been dangerous i have seen more backs done in , crushed toes ,fingers caught in winches ,eye lost and bloodpresures set to boiling point, welds breaking and all on the slipway,
Old 22 June 2008, 20:39   #13

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
omg for once i agree with codders!!! roller trailers tend to be used best when driven onto not floated!! Havin said that this weekend i had great deal of trouble getting the rib onto the trailer with 90deg crosswind and tide! in the end i retreated to a calmer slip!

I had bars fitted on the hard boats trailer!! anyone used em on a rib and not been worried bout it goin POP!
Old 01 July 2008, 06:48   #14

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
One other thing to consider is to plan your day so that you avoid launching or recovering during those times when the tide is at its worst. Especially when Spring tides are at their peak.

Dont forget the rule of twelfths (RW will be proud)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_twelfths

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote