Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 28 November 2015, 07:49   #11
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,388
RIBase
Powering an electric winch

Dave we have these fitted to the rear of all the wagons at work for jump starting it would work with a winch I'd fit a plug on the winch post & one in the boot of car & just make a long lead with male connectors on 👍https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/f.../img/jsp_l.jpg
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S NW Division
All good thing's come to those who wait!!.
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 08:07   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,579
RIBase
The winch comes with a set of the mini version of those Andy. I wanted to make the trailer independent of the vehicle if I could, I'm thinking about the future & the possibility of towing with a camper.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 10:59   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
I would do away with the ss box for your lights, fabricate a new box to take the battery and junction box for lights fix a 10 pole Bulgin socket on it, swap the Disco to a 13 pin set up , make a lead from 13 pin to 10 pin. Job done
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 12:49   #14
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Can you fit a remote to it Dave that would be well handy
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 12:59   #15
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
done a similar job a few years back, had a trailer mounted crane for rally recovery fitted with a 12v Superwinch Huskey winch, battery was mounted on the trailer, but in a galvanised box (top quality from machine mart ) worked great, dragged many a rally car out of a ditch just one comment to make re the charging supply from the car, I used the standard 12N & 12S sockets as per a caravan etc, but I fitted a relay in the charging supply to disconnect the supply while winching, otherwise it just blows the fuse in the car
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 13:09   #16
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,085
You can fit a remote on any winch if you don't mind a bit of basic wiring.

If/when I get the tw9000 it will defo be getting a remote.
__________________
dubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 13:11   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,579
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I would do away with the ss box for your lights, fabricate a new box to take the battery and junction box for lights fix a 10 pole Bulgin socket on it, swap the Disco to a 13 pin set up , make a lead from 13 pin to 10 pin. Job done
No need to do away with the lighting J box. I already have the 13 core coming in to the box. All I need to do is put another gland in the j/box & bring out the charging circuit to a Bulgin 2 pin plug. Put a Bulgin bulkhead fitting on the battery box, job done. I can then plug an external battery charger into the same bulging socket at home.

Chris, good call on the relay. I'm thinking about putting a solenoid in the battery box to act as an isolator. I'd put an E/stop button on the outside of the battery box wired into the coil of the solenoid. Knock the E/stop in & the winch is isolated. It'd be easy enough to put some auxiliary contacts in, that isolated the charging circuit when the winch is powered up.

I still cant get Alan's idea re. the electric fence controller out o' ma heed
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 13:16   #18
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
done a similar job a few years back, had a trailer mounted crane for rally recovery fitted with a 12v Superwinch Huskey winch, battery was mounted on the trailer, but in a galvanised box (top quality from machine mart ) worked great, dragged many a rally car out of a ditch just one comment to make re the charging supply from the car, I used the standard 12N & 12S sockets as per a caravan etc, but I fitted a relay in the charging supply to disconnect the supply while winching, otherwise it just blows the fuse in the car

Now them Huskys are a proper winch 😁
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 13:17   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
No need to do away with the lighting J box. I already have the 13 core coming in to the box. All I need to do is put another gland in the j/box & bring out the charging circuit to a Bulgin 2 pin plug. Put a Bulgin bulkhead fitting on the battery box, job done. I can then plug an external battery charger into the same bulging socket at home.

Chris, good call on the relay. I'm thinking about putting a solenoid in the battery box to act as an isolator. I'd put an E/stop button on the outside of the battery box wired into the coil of the solenoid. Knock the E/stop in & the winch is isolated. It'd be easy enough to put some auxiliary contacts in, that isolated the charging circuit when the winch is powered up.

I still cant get Alan's idea re. the electric fence controller out o' ma heed

Was just thinking of neat & tidy
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2015, 13:30   #20
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Now them Huskys are a proper winch 😁
them Huskys are great winches Mick, mine have done excellent work for donkeys years, but I've recently turned to the dark side, got a warn zeon on the 90 now, did the business last weekend
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.