Old 21 October 2016, 11:11   #1

Town: Christchurch
Make: Zodiac Medline 2
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Merc Saltwater
Planning a trip to Spain Summer 2017

Hi all, we are in the early days of planning a 3 week holiday next year.

Thinking of towing the rib (Medline 2) down to Tarragona after overnight ferry to Santander.

I've done a few searches and am seeing various options on Spanish law and legal requirements.

Our trailer is only a couple of years old but came from Australia - we purchased the rib with trailer after it had been brought over in a shipping container. So not sure if that will cause me issues!

Happy to get any certification done if that's possible or hire an E.U spec one to get the job done.

So just thought I'd pose the question to get any sage advice from the forum and any handy tips - I've not done this kind of trip before so all new to me!

Cheers

Nick
Old 02 November 2016, 08:19   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I've towed the length of Spain. If the total length of the car and trailer is over a certain length (was for me) then you have to display two yellow/orange reflective boards on the back of the trailer (a quick Google will give you more details. I got my boards off eBay). That's about it really - the rest is the same as here in terms of lights/prop bag etc. The speed limits are different but again a quick Google should find the answer for you. I found towing across Spain very easy (was a 9m boat) - hardly any traffic.
Old 03 November 2016, 09:52   #3

Town: Christchurch
Make: Zodiac Medline 2
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Merc Saltwater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I've towed the length of Spain. If the total length of the car and trailer is over a certain length (was for me) then you have to display two yellow/orange reflective boards on the back of the trailer (a quick Google will give you more details. I got my boards off eBay). That's about it really - the rest is the same as here in terms of lights/prop bag etc. The speed limits are different but again a quick Google should find the answer for you. I found towing across Spain very easy (was a 9m boat) - hardly any traffic.
Thanks Tim, I think my biggest concern is the trailer is from Australia so no EEC marks. Thought that might be a bit of a problem from what I've read.
Old 12 December 2016, 20:20   #4

Town: Altrincham
Length: 5m +
Hi Nick,

The Spanish won't like your Aussie trailer and it would be a nightmare to get it approved. Chances are the drawbar, axle, lighting wouldn't meet the required standard anyway. If the trailer is older than Oct 2012 and you're towing it with a UK registered car the it would be ok to use but remember if you have any issues (breakdown, accident) with the UK car then you wouldn't be able to tow it with a hire car (and recovery vehicle couldn't tow it either) so you'd be looking at a low loader type recovery. Very happy to offer you more advise if you email me marine@indespension.co.uk regards Jeremy