Old 10 October 2008, 10:35   #31

Length: 4m +
Hi Solent,
looking at the photo on the recovery truck, and i notice you have your boat strapped over the tubes. I'm fairly new to boating, and always wanting to learn, so was wondering if this is ok, or would it be better strapping from the transome to the trailer.
regarding number plates, I buy yellow card from staples and simply print out the number of the towing car on to 2 sheets ,overlap and trim to size, then laminate.

pete

Old 10 October 2008, 10:58   #32

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: Gemini
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin V6 Suzuki DF250
Hello Pete,

Personally, I'm the wrong person to ask, any time i've towed a boat it's been on private property and at reduced speed. E.G. launching, recovering and manoeuvring into sheds.

But always left the winch on and put strops over the top to whilst towing to stop any bounce over uneven launching terrain.

That's my 22 pence worth

Old 10 October 2008, 11:24   #33

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hope its the photo , but to me it looks like its about to fall off the truck !

Maybe the number plate / light board was just an excuse for the copper to look at you. BUt it doesn't look to bad to me in terms of size etc . I bet if you had had a 'proper' number plate etc he would never have stopped you. Generally I'v found if it looks expensive or properly set up you will be OK ( even if its cheap & not well setup) , if it looks a bit 'lashed up' they are all over you.

OH and I have never put a strap over the tubes - they can rub through the tube or do damage & as the tubes compress you are never really strapping much down very tightly.
Old 10 October 2008, 11:40   #34
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Pete View Post
Hi Solent,
looking at the photo on the recovery truck, and i notice you have your boat strapped over the tubes. I'm fairly new to boating, and always wanting to learn, so was wondering if this is ok, or would it be better strapping from the transome to the trailer.
Much better to go from transom to trailer. Strapping over the tubes allows the boat to shift and bounce on the trailer, which isn't really good for the boat or road safety. Usually you'd have one strap at the stern from transom to trailer - running through the towing eyes if the boat has them. A second strap would then be attached to the D ring at the bow vertically down to the trailer. Leave the winch strap attached also.
Old 10 October 2008, 11:47   #35
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
If the trailer max laden weight marked on it is over 750 kg then it needs brakes? Even if its empty.
Yeah - its a bugger that. Its all about the numbers printed on the plate.

The MAM on my trailer is 1500 kg, 35kg over the unladen weight of my car. Which means even though the combined weight of trailer and boat is never going to reach 1500kg or 1465kg for the matter, I still need a B+E license to drive it. If I'd bought an (inferior) trailer from another company I could have towed it on my B license. Makes sense doesn't it - no wonder people have no idea about all the rules..
Old 10 October 2008, 12:32   #36

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Couple of observatons here:

Probably best not post this answer to this unless it's a Landy or a big car that weighs at least 1.5 tons, but the 750Kg Max is only applicable to vehicles that are rated for it. E.g. I could (just) tow my Humber unbraked legally (fully fuelled) with my car, however hitching it on the back of a Corsa or similarly small car I'm not sure it would even be legal on a braked trailer!

Engine - Is that a 2 or a 3 cyl 70? Might just be the angle of the photo making the lid look shorter than it is, but If it's the 2-pot one then you're probably nearer 75-80 KG.

Either way, I'd get it onto a weighbridge!

Strappig it down, just don't use a strap over the toobs. If they are not pumped absolutely hard, simply the sun going behind a cloud as you drive along could reduce the pressure enough for the straps to be as good as useless. I don't leave mine pumped too hard when ashore to take into account temp variations, and I can watch them pump themselves back up if I leave early as the sun comes up & warms the toobs! Go for the U- bolts on the transom, or replace two nuts on your transom braces with eyenuts. Plenty of posts here about securing to a trialer.

That number plate is just asking to be stopped! If it's a roller coaster, Indespension should be able to sell you a couple of extension bars & the clamp screws to told them in. (Mind you, I suspect any make of 'plate holder bars should fit.) You need the lights within a certian distance form the outside edge, easiest way is to buy a lighting board about the width of your boat, will be close enough to legal not to attract attention. and at "rib width" you need a foglamp.
Old 10 October 2008, 12:37   #37

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
He hasn't actually said the GVW of the trailer is marked as over 750kg though.
agreed. I plead in mitigation having just done 14 hours running a commercial boat doing a survey-its enough to addle anyone's brains
Too rough today SW8 gusting 9 so we've wimped out At least I can stay on shore and look after my "man cold" now.

If that trailer was supplied new and unbraked in the uk since the current regs came into force I would have thought it would be rated under 750kgs - does it have its plate on it? and if not is that an offence?, I don't know. You were sorta begging to be stopped though with an obscured number plate thats not really a number plate. The guy has gotta keep his performance indicators in the right sorta area after all-as we're paying his wages he needs to show value for money
Old 10 October 2008, 12:43   #38

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
[QUOTE=9D280;267120] Couple of observatons here:

, however hitching it on the back of a Corsa or similarly small car I'm not sure it would even be legal on a braked trailer!

as i said earlier even with brakes fitted you can only tow weight for weight even though your car vin plate may say you can tow that bit more except for Duel purporse vehicles ,ie landrover .if the trailor is not fitted with brakes you can only trail half the unladen weight of the car ,ie car weighs 1000kgs you can tow 500kgs.
Old 10 October 2008, 12:54   #39
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
and at "rib width" you need a foglamp.
I am not sure I agree with your interpretation of the rules. IIRC trailers wider than 1.3 m require a fog light. However my interpretation is that that is the trailer and not the load.

edit - although looking at the photo this trailer is pretty much rib width itself (unlike mine which is a bit narrower than my relatively narrow boat).
Old 10 October 2008, 12:58   #40

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
you can only tow weight for weight even though your car vin plate may say you can tow that bit more
where does it say that?