Old 09 June 2020, 20:02   #1

Length: 8m +
Engine: 300HP Yam
Motorised Jockey Wheel?

Hi there,

Haven't posted in a long time but often have a quick gander on this forum!

I will be collecting my new rib in a couple of months, a big step up from my current 4.2m on a single axel trailer (c500Kg) which I can manoeuvrer by hand in and out and around my garage no problem. However my new rib is 8.1m on a twin axel trailer weighing in at c2250Kg! Hence I think having a motorised jokey wheel could help me somewhat.

I have tried searching this forum/the net but not much joy TBH. The general opinion I found re motorised jokey wheels is that they are simply not very good, unless on a flat hard surface, which fortunately is the case for me! I found this £220 one on ebay; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jockey-Wh...w0~dexQCi#rwid but my gut feeling is that it would be a waste of time.

What are people's thoughts? Can anyone recommend one or anything else similar to help move a trailer about? Price is important!

I have read that if you raise the normal standard jockey wheel high enough so that the front axel wheels no longer touch the ground (thus making the trailer single axel) then this helps the manoeuvrability by hand. Fortunately I will be having a friend help me, so if a motorised jokey wheel is a no go, would 2 average Joes be able to push and turn a 2250kg boat/trailer circa 20m on a hard surface, with a bit of manoeuvring involved?

Thanks in advance.

James
Old 09 June 2020, 21:16   #2

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
If there is no incline yes I can pull mine around in a circle on my own on the flat twin axle trailer
Old 09 June 2020, 21:32   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
If there is no incline yes I can pull mine around in a circle on my own on the flat twin axle trailer

Likewise. I can shove my 1900kg twin axle outfit around on smooth level concrete.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2020, 06:58   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
I'd take a look at the caravan forums. Although they prefer motor movers (axle mounted) attached to the wheels, some have tried Mr Shifta;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mr-Shifta...QAAOSwsnFe1DKA
Old 10 June 2020, 07:49   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If it’s completely level and with a smooth surface you can move a boat that size on your own especially if you raise the jockey so the front axel is off the ground. The quality of the jockey wheel will make a difference too - a flat tire will make it almost impossible.

I’d have reservations about anything you permanently fit to the trailer surviving - whilst you probably aren’t close to immersing they jockey wheel on a trailer that size it’s almost inevitable that something that close to the sea will suffer corrosion. The Mr Shifta approach would be what I would look at if I really wanted a motorised jockey.

If the surface is not smooth (even small imperfections make quite a difference), I would consider a front tow bar on the car before I would do anything motorised (but obviously some places are very tight so that won’t work).

Be very aware when we say level we do mean level though. Even a slight incline (drainage levels) presents two problems... pushing it uphill becomes much harder, when you are coming downhill you are relying on the brakes working on the trailer - the time to discover that they’ve seized is not when you are standing in front of 2 tons!
Old 10 June 2020, 09:17   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i had a mr shifter on a 6m rib it would struggle pulling the boat up a drop kerb into my yard. look for a small quad bike they work a treat
Old 10 June 2020, 11:03   #7

Thanks for all the replies guys, it seems with any luck that I should be able to just about cope with a friends help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
I'd take a look at the caravan forums. Although they prefer motor movers (axle mounted) attached to the wheels, some have tried Mr Shifta;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mr-Shifta...QAAOSwsnFe1DKA
Monkey, thanks for the link. Mr. Shifta looks good, shame it is no longer in production though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If it’s completely level and with a smooth surface you can move a boat that size on your own especially if you raise the jockey so the front axel is off the ground. The quality of the jockey wheel will make a difference too - a flat tire will make it almost impossible...
Poly, my trailer will be a brand new SBS one, I don't know if it comes with a solid wheel or Pneumatic wheel TBH. Which is best for manoeuvring the trailer by hand? Thanks
Old 10 June 2020, 11:52   #8

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
If you are operating on a hard surface, then the solid rubber wheel will be fine. It avoids any issues with under inflated jockey wheels. If you are getting the trailer new, then it might be worth asking about a heavy duty jockey wheel. They are more confidence inspiring when you are using it to get the front axle off the ground.
Old 10 June 2020, 14:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
If you are operating on a hard surface, then the solid rubber wheel will be fine. It avoids any issues with under inflated jockey wheels. If you are getting the trailer new, then it might be worth asking about a heavy duty jockey wheel. They are more confidence inspiring when you are using it to get the front axle off the ground.
Good idea, thank you!

Here are the SBS jokey wheels, fortunately there is not much difference in price between the standard and heavy duty ones

ps. I don't seem to be getting instant email notifications, or any email notifications whatsoever from this thread, despite having it set up that way. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.
Old 10 June 2020, 19:49   #10

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
This is the one I have

it's a faff getting the jocket wheel fully extended to lift the front wheels off the ground, which is helpful when turning, but more difficult for straight lines and bouncing over kerbs etc.

Are you subscribed to thjis thread?

top of the thread; Thread tools / subscribe to this thread
Old 10 June 2020, 20:08   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
Poly, my trailer will be a brand new SBS one, I don't know if it comes with a solid wheel or Pneumatic wheel TBH. Which is best for manoeuvring the trailer by hand? Thanks
I prefer a pneumatic but I don't have the luxury of very smooth surfaces. I'd rather have a solid wheel than a slightly soft pneumatic though - I often have to juggle other people's boats around to get mine out and soft jockeys are a PITA. But so are jockeys which are seized and don't rotate/steer.
Old 10 June 2020, 22:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
This is the one I have

it's a faff getting the jocket wheel fully extended to lift the front wheels off the ground, which is helpful when turning, but more difficult for straight lines and bouncing over kerbs etc.

Are you subscribed to thjis thread?

top of the thread; Thread tools / subscribe to this thread
OK so avoid the serrated tube and just go for a standard heavy duty one then?!

Yes I am subscribed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I prefer a pneumatic but I don't have the luxury of very smooth surfaces. I'd rather have a solid wheel than a slightly soft pneumatic though - I often have to juggle other people's boats around to get mine out and soft jockeys are a PITA. But so are jockeys which are seized and don't rotate/steer.
Fortunately I have the luxury of solid smooth ground, so think I'll request a solid wheel on a heavy duty jockey.

I always grease my pole!
Old 10 June 2020, 22:21   #13

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
[QUOTE=J@mes;814003]OK so avoid the serrated tube and just go for a standard heavy duty one then?!

The serated tube jockeys are the strongest & dont slip like straight tube ones. If you want to stand a chance of lifting wheels off the ground you'll need the heaviest jockey you can find.
Remember when lifting the front wheels of a loaded trailer with the jockey you are exerting a large percentage of the trailers weight on the jockey
Old 10 June 2020, 23:52   #14

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by J@mes View Post
I have read that if you raise the normal standard jockey wheel high enough so that the front axel wheels no longer touch the ground~
I have never seen a stock tandem trailer in the USA where the tongue jack can get the front wheels off the ground. Might be easier to rig a winch to lift the rear axle giving a better balance.

That is a heavy beast of a boat and turning it while pushing is going to be very hard. You will not be able to just shove the tongue over like with a single axle trailer. Being able to single hand it would be the best situation both in and out of storage. What happens when your buddy can't help? A powered pusher may be your best option, if you can't just park it by tow vehicle.

Folding tongues can offer better options for storage too.

Often a winch mounted/clipped on the floor with a remote control can pull it in and out of storage with a redirect for really cheap. Last 12v winch I bought for pulling my boat onto the trailer single handed was $40 US and came with a remote. Sold as a ATV winch. Not a high duty cycle though. Of course if your vehicle has a winch you could use that, or a clip in winch to the vehicle. The remote control is going to be the important feature.

https://trailervalet.com/shop/trailer-valet-5x/ Uses a cordless drill. It is removable with a single pin, so you can just leave it in the garage.
Old 11 June 2020, 06:11   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Having a 9.75m, and an 8.75m Scorpion and also had to move around a 8.5 Arctic Blue in a shared wharehouse, all on double axled trailers, I can tell you they need some serious shifting. One/two men would be useless at shifting it by hand other than a few feet on a smooth and level surface.
All other sugestions WILL NOT WORK !!
If jeffstevens recommendation of a quad is not on then I suggest something from DJ Products range (https://www.djproducts.com/products/?lang=pt-br).
Why not pick up the phone/email them.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 07:26   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I have never seen a stock tandem trailer in the USA where the tongue jack can get the front wheels off the ground. Might be easier to rig a winch to lift the rear axle giving a better balance.

That is a heavy beast of a boat and turning it while pushing is going to be very hard. You will not be able to just shove the tongue over like with a single axle trailer. Being able to single hand it would be the best situation both in and out of storage. What happens when your buddy can't help? A powered pusher may be your best option, if you can't just park it by tow vehicle.

Folding tongues can offer better options for storage too.

Often a winch mounted/clipped on the floor with a remote control can pull it in and out of storage with a redirect for really cheap. Last 12v winch I bought for pulling my boat onto the trailer single handed was $40 US and came with a remote. Sold as a ATV winch. Not a high duty cycle though. Of course if your vehicle has a winch you could use that, or a clip in winch to the vehicle. The remote control is going to be the important feature.

https://trailervalet.com/shop/trailer-valet-5x/ Uses a cordless drill. It is removable with a single pin, so you can just leave it in the garage.
You can't lift the front axle on a us trailer because the leaf sprung axles are compensated to give more articulation. Uk trailer axles are fixed and have relatively short suspension travel therefore lifing an axle is relatively easy.
Old 11 June 2020, 08:44   #17

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I'd go serrated if you can. As Beamishken says, they are the ones least likely to slip.

You need to wind the jockey wheel all the way up, drop the tube to the lowest position in the clamp and then wind the jockey wheel out. Sometimes the length of the tube means that even with the wheel fully retracted, the wheel hits the ground before the tube is in its lowest position. If this happens, you'll need a block or axle stand to temporarily support the front of the trailer whilst you get the tube in the lowest position.

You may also find if you manage to heave the hitch up to get the tube to its lowest position, when you arrive at the towing vehicle you run out of adjustment to get the hitch low enough. Try not to be tempted to undo the clamp and rely on gravity to land the hitch on the tow ball!

It does sound like a faff and for the first couple of times it is but if you persevere, it does become easier.

A short length of rope can make it easier to pull the trailer into position rather than pushing / pulling on the jockey wheel handle, handbrake, trailer frame etc.

I've moved my Pac 22 around using the method above.
Old 11 June 2020, 10:04   #18

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I'll have to give this a go out of interest, the next time my 9m Ribtec is back on it's trailer... A new form of lockdown exercise.

I relatively happily shove the empty trailer around by hand, but not sure I'd be able to move it far with the boat on it as well!
Old 11 June 2020, 10:51   #19

Town: South West
Boat name: Making Waves
Make: Osprey Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: E-TEC G2 250 HO
Hi there,

this boat of a forum pal is 1880 kg with trailer, the jockey wheel is a 300 kg Al-Ko.

Old 11 June 2020, 20:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The serated tube jockeys are the strongest & dont slip like straight tube ones. If you want to stand a chance of lifting wheels off the ground you'll need the heaviest jockey you can find.
Remember when lifting the front wheels of a loaded trailer with the jockey you are exerting a large percentage of the trailers weight on the jockey
Right OK gotcha! Wonder if you can simply work out the weight load on the jokey wheel? Don't suppose there is a rule of thumb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
That is a heavy beast of a boat and turning it while pushing is going to be very hard. You will not be able to just shove the tongue over like with a single axle trailer. Being able to single hand it would be the best situation both in and out of storage. What happens when your buddy can't help? A powered pusher may be your best option, if you can't just park it by tow vehicle...

I hope my friend will be there to help, because it will be his truck and him driving if I want my boat put in or out the water!

Thanks for the trailer valet link, that looks good, much sturdier than the ebay cheap ones!

A winch idea to the back wall may also be a good idea, I think it is going to be a case of see how we get on the first time round with just plan old man power, and then come up with a plan after that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Having a 9.75m, and an 8.75m Scorpion and also had to move around a 8.5 Arctic Blue in a shared wharehouse, all on double axled trailers, I can tell you they need some serious shifting. One/two men would be useless at shifting it by hand other than a few feet on a smooth and level surface.
All other sugestions WILL NOT WORK !!
If jeffstevens recommendation of a quad is not on then I suggest something from DJ Products range (https://www.djproducts.com/products/?lang=pt-br).
Why not pick up the phone/email them.
Oh dear, sounds like I man need 3 men minimum then for the first time I attempt it! Better to be safe than sorry I guess!

No a quad isn't an option, and neither are those DJ products, they are even bigger than a quad and more expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
You can't lift the front axle on a us trailer because the leaf sprung axles are compensated to give more articulation. Uk trailer axles are fixed and have relatively short suspension travel therefore lifing an axle is relatively easy.
Thank goodness for that then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I'd go serrated if you can. As Beamishken says, they are the ones least likely to slip.

You need to wind the jockey wheel all the way up, drop the tube to the lowest position in the clamp and then wind the jockey wheel out. Sometimes the length of the tube means that even with the wheel fully retracted, the wheel hits the ground before the tube is in its lowest position. If this happens, you'll need a block or axle stand to temporarily support the front of the trailer whilst you get the tube in the lowest position.

You may also find if you manage to heave the hitch up to get the tube to its lowest position, when you arrive at the towing vehicle you run out of adjustment to get the hitch low enough. Try not to be tempted to undo the clamp and rely on gravity to land the hitch on the tow ball!

It does sound like a faff and for the first couple of times it is but if you persevere, it does become easier.

A short length of rope can make it easier to pull the trailer into position rather than pushing / pulling on the jockey wheel handle, handbrake, trailer frame etc.

I've moved my Pac 22 around using the method above.
Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCaptain View Post
Hi there,
this boat of a forum pal is 1880 kg with trailer, the jockey wheel is a 300 kg Al-Ko.
Thanks for the videos, that's a good idea maybe if you cannot get the jockey wheel at the front high enough to lift the front wheels/axel, then put another jokey wheel closer to the wheels. It would have to be securely fitted and weight rated though, doesn't look too safe otherwise!