Old 04 October 2011, 18:45   #1

Town: Porthtowan
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp Outboard
More trailer set up questions.

Hi I've just bought a hallmark/indespension roller coaster trailer for the SR4. Which I know is over kill but I wanted some thing that I could keep when and if I upgrade the boat. My questions are:

1 Should I strip and grease the rollers on the trailer before I put the boat on it? or do they not need greasing?

2 Should the rollers be locked at a set angle (which is as the trailer is set up currently) or should they be free to swing?

3 I've got the option of using our yard crane to move the boat to it's new trailer. How much wider than the tubes should I make the spreader bars? I'm thinking of using the crane to dangle the boat over the trailer to set the rollers up.

Cheers

Ross
Old 05 October 2011, 14:29   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishRoss View Post
Hi I've just bought a hallmark/indespension roller coaster trailer for the SR4. Which I know is over kill but I wanted some thing that I could keep when and if I upgrade the boat. My questions are:

1 Should I strip and grease the rollers on the trailer before I put the boat on it? or do they not need greasing? Would not bother

2 Should the rollers be locked at a set angle (which is as the trailer is set up currently) or should they be free to swing?Leave them loose

3 I've got the option of using our yard crane to move the boat to it's new trailer. How much wider than the tubes should I make the spreader bars? I'm thinking of using the crane to dangle the boat over the trailer to set the rollers up.

Cheers

Ross
I have a new Indy trailer for my SR4 & I had to move the axle to get some weight over the hitch & bring the rollers in a bit, also nothing was tighten up so mud guards came loose roller arms moved!"
The one thing I would do is strip & grease the bearings as mine had next to nothing & only lasted 6 months & I do not even dunk the trailer!!
If it is braked I have in the past after I fitted 2 new axles to a previous trailer covered everything bar the brake shoes in copper spay on geese to give the brakes a bit of a chance!

Nick
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2011, 15:07   #3

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
spray on geese to give the brakes a bit of a chance!
Yep, there's nothing as good as a bit of goose fat on trailer brakes
Old 05 October 2011, 15:43   #4

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Yep, there's nothing as good as a bit of goose fat on trailer brakes
If you want you can also use grease!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2011, 09:56   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishRoss View Post

1 Should I strip and grease the rollers on the trailer before I put the boat on it? or do they not need greasing?

2 Should the rollers be locked at a set angle (which is as the trailer is set up currently) or should they be free to swing?

Cheers

Ross
1. I use an oil can to put a few drops of oil down each spindle.

2. My rollers are held loosely - ie they will move as the hull rolls over them as the shape varies but stay pretty much where they are left. This allows compliance whilst preventing them tripping outboard.

3. I would be wary of lifting with slings around the tubes. When we lift ours we use rope bridles from the eye inside the bow and the two on the outside of the transom.

4. Fit bearing savers to the wheel bearings and keep them pumped up with grease.
Old 06 October 2011, 13:14   #6

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Another vote for be careful with slings around the tubes speaking from (bad) experience.
Old 06 October 2011, 16:39   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
honestly - its an SR4 ... they are so light I think you could tweek the set up with it sitting on the rollers.
If my Gemini doesnt sit right on the rollers on recovery I can get my shoulders under the tube on one side and easily give it a litte shove to straighten it up, and thats with a 90 on the back.
My Rollercoaster experience is that they come fairly close to set up
from the factory....at least symmetrical enough to get you going.
Good choice on the trailer - it should last you some time.
Old 06 October 2011, 20:09   #8

Town: Porthtowan
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 30hp Outboard
Cheers for the replys. I think I'm going to forget the crane idea and just take the winch post and tow hitch off the old trailer. Then just winch it forward on to the new trailer. Sounds simple enough just go to make sure I've got enough body's around to support the boat. I'll try to get some pictures.

I put a couple of pumps of blue grease under the rollers which seems to of helped the move a bit more freely.