Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 July 2011, 06:02   #1
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Gothenburg
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Manufacturer-certificate Rapide-Trailer

Hello!

This spring I bought a second hand Rib with trailer in UK. Extremly happy with the support and the help from those involved!
However to be able to register the trailer in Sweden (mandatory) I need a paper from the manufacturer, (Certificate Of Conformity or a manufacturer-certificate) stating that this trailer has been made by the manufacturer. (I have all receipts, also the very first one. But that is not enough).
The Rapide trailer division was apperently sold (2009?) from Dixon Bate to Mersea trailers. (my trailer is from 2005) I have contacted both companies but both put the "responsibility" on the other one. I really need this document otherwise I need to buy me another trailer....

Anyone having an idea on how to proceed or even some connection within any of thoose companies?

Any kind of ideas/help is very much appreciated!

Regards
Martin
__________________

__________________
Martin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2011, 07:17   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 118
responsibility goes with the Rapide Trailer division - so would be with Mersea Trailers...

might be easier to sell it and buy another!

Alasdair
__________________

__________________
akirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2011, 09:18   #3
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post
Anyone having an idea on how to proceed or even some connection within any of thoose companies?
I have a mobile phone number 07725203407 for a Gareth at Mersea - supposedly their Dixon-Bate expert. The number was given to me by the lady that answers the phone at Mersea.

Result...no-one at D-B on the 0870 number claimed to know anything technically about D-B trailers when I rang, and the mobile was never answered and messages were never returned

Good luck!
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2011, 15:50   #4
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Gothenburg
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks,
Selling a trailer that is barely useable is not so good business... if I can register it it is probably worth the double. Still that is probably the way I must go.

I been in contact several times with Mersea, and judging from their customer support (so far) I would not recommend buiyng one of their trailers. (Hoping I can withdraw that statement)

/Martin
__________________
Martin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2011, 16:15   #5
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 908
Hi Martin. As Your trailer is manufactured 2005, EU/CE regulations for 2005 will apply(more or less). As You have the receipts, those can be considered to be proof that trailer has been taken into use 2005, and this within EU. I registered a Indispension trailer from UK(trailer was made 2005) it was not easy but doable. And the Finnish MOT are really strict and always goes by the book(EU/CE), i am pretty sure they are worse than in Sweden. It might be the case that by changing the person handling the registering, things will improve for You(change location/office).

But things that needed to be documented well already 2005 is the drawbar, axle and brakes. If You have serial plates on the trailer with specification things are looking much better. Also if You can get hold of an owners manual, it helps. ALKO is commonly used subcontractor for brakes and drawbars, if those are used on Your trailer, should not be too tough to get certificates for those components directly from manufacturer, they will full-fill requirements.

joakimhansson here has also trailered a boat from UK, maybe he can help also.


The frame should not be an issue, at lest mine was not welded on critical spots so it was OK. Don't know all the details but don't give in, I am pretty sure its doable.

Good luck!
__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 02:41   #6
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Gothenburg
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Hi,

The authorities in Sweden need to do a "check of origin". Does not have anything to do with if the trailer is safe or so. If the trailer was registred, the register documents would be enough (not done in UK). I just spent 20 minutes in the phone with the Swedish Transport Authority and I will not come forward without relevant document from the manufacturer.
A "simple" document stating that they have manufactured a trailer with this S/N, the type, max weight and it must be signed.

I am seriously disappointed about the support from the UK-manufacturer...
__________________
Martin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 03:01   #7
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
I am seriously disappointed about the support from the UK-manufacturer...
Now why am I not surprised :-(
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 06:35   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Martin,
I have had difficulties just trying to buy spares from Mersea, however, when I did finally get to speak to the MD he seemed genuinely helpful and co-operative. Whilst I am not singing their praises if you make enough of a nuisance of yourself you may eventually get put through to him (as I did). I'll see if I can find his name for you this evening; it may help if you can ask for him by name.
Just a random thought, but have you thought of creating the document yourself and sending it to them so that all they have to do is sign it and return? Might just tip the balance...............
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 07:07   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post
I am seriously disappointed about the support from the UK-manufacturer...
I can understand your frustration - but from their perspective:

- you are not their customer (having bought 2nd hand)
- they have no such requirement for their actual customers (UK regs being more relaxed)
- the company ownership has changed hands (therefore the people who sold the original are probably no longer involved)

So other than politeness and helpfulness why would they divert their attention from their current paying customers to help you?

Is there some way that you can register the trailer as though it were 'home built'? E.g. if I made a kit car in the UK I can put it through a process called a Single Vehicle Authority. I believe people do the same for odd one off imports as well.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 08:07   #10
Member
 
Country: Finland
Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post
Hi,

The authorities in Sweden need to do a "check of origin". Does not have anything to do with if the trailer is safe or so. If the trailer was registred, the register documents would be enough (not done in UK). I just spent 20 minutes in the phone with the Swedish Transport Authority and I will not come forward without relevant document from the manufacturer.
A "simple" document stating that they have manufactured a trailer with this S/N, the type, max weight and it must be signed.

I am seriously disappointed about the support from the UK-manufacturer...
OK. I had litle same issue about the moment of registering in UK. But as explained that trailers are not registered at all in UK(as own units), they accepted that had added to the the sales contract(of the trailer), that the previous owners confirmed when it was taken into traffic in UK. This was the considered as Year of "registering". Serials i needed to stamp into the frame, the serials on the plate is not enough here.

Maybe the self build thing will work, but for sure You need some papers then on drawbar, brakes and axles?
__________________
fun on a boat is inversely proportional to size...sort of anyway
C-NUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 08:17   #11
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 735
I bought a Mersea in may in UK. Same problem and it is now my 30 km/h trailer

Mine is 2007.

Everything went good until 50 km from home, after a 2350 km trip... Swedish Police
__________________
joakimhansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 13:31   #12
RIBnet supporter
 
bogib's Avatar
 
Country: Iceland
Town: Reykjavik
Boat name: Cheesee
Make: Seaquel 600 XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 275 Verado
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,959
Send a message via Skype™ to bogib
Same problem here trying to get CoC for a Rapide trailer 2006 model year which was bought with a Ribcraft 585 Rescue this spring from UK.

Marsea claims no documents needed for trailers in UK and not their problem if exported to Scandinavian country which follows and some cases exceed EU requirements...... so we are kept in the dark

May have to buy new trailer for my customer so they will be road legal

Bogi
__________________
RIBs and ribbing is my life
www.sjosport.is
bogib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 16:35   #13
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
I'll see if I can find his name for you this evening; it may help if you can ask for him by name.
Sorry, been through my old e-mails but it appears that the contact was made by phone.
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2011, 03:52   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,317
I'd have thought that a simple document could be created on your PC, perhaps with a bit of scanning etc, that would satisfy the authorities in Sweden.

It's not like they can contact the original manufacturer to verify that it's genuine.
__________________
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2011, 08:22   #15
Member
 
Country: Sweden
Town: Gothenburg
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Finally!

I want to Thank for the help I got from Mersea trailer. They sent me a document stating that my trailer (with the specific S/N) was built i UK.
I got the approval from the Swedish Transport Authority two days ago and I can now continue the registration process!

Answers to Polwart:
- A second hand customer is also a customer, if you are satisfied with a product and the support from the company you would very likely buy the same brand again. (fact from the car industry)
- In forums like this the word i very fast spread which companies are easy to work with, which has good support etc. Does not matter which country you live in.
- The basic idea by buing an existing company is that the brand already is known. You already have a lot of trailers making PR for the brand out there... As an owner of a Rapide trailer you probably get questions from others if you are satisfied with the trailer, support etc.... ( follow with my first point...)
- I offered Mersea to cover any cost for such document, but they did it for free.

THANKS Mersea! for the support.

Best regards
Martin
__________________
Martin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2012, 11:18   #16
Member
 
Country: France
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post
I want to Thank for the help I got from Mersea trailer. They sent me a document stating that my trailer (with the specific S/N) was built i UK.
I got the approval from the Swedish Transport Authority two days ago and I can now continue the registration process!

Answers to Polwart:
- A second hand customer is also a customer, if you are satisfied with a product and the support from the company you would very likely buy the same brand again. (fact from the car industry)
- In forums like this the word i very fast spread which companies are easy to work with, which has good support etc. Does not matter which country you live in.
- The basic idea by buing an existing company is that the brand already is known. You already have a lot of trailers making PR for the brand out there... As an owner of a Rapide trailer you probably get questions from others if you are satisfied with the trailer, support etc.... ( follow with my first point...)
- I offered Mersea to cover any cost for such document, but they did it for free.

THANKS Mersea! for the support.

Best regards
Martin
Hello Martin,
your last post is quite old now, but i've just discovered the subject.
i've exactly the same problem, i have to get a document for my "rapide 5" trailer if i want to register it overhere in France, 'til now merseas says "no", can you please tell me or PM your contact at MERSEAS,
thanks for your help,
Eric.
__________________
ericmx29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2012, 03:11   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: Jeepster
Make: Marina 16 GT
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 30
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post
Hello!

This spring I bought a second hand Rib with trailer in UK. Extremly happy with the support and the help from those involved!
However to be able to register the trailer in Sweden (mandatory) I need a paper from the manufacturer, (Certificate Of Conformity or a manufacturer-certificate) stating that this trailer has been made by the manufacturer. (I have all receipts, also the very first one. But that is not enough).
The Rapide trailer division was apperently sold (2009?) from Dixon Bate to Mersea trailers.
Thats was in June 2009 but in August 2009 Bradley aquired their towing equipment assets and the Dixon Bate name itself...More info on that here:

Bradley Dixon-Bate - Home Page
__________________

__________________
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×