Old 26 August 2014, 20:20   #1

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Manovering my trailer - high tech help ?

OK, Ive now come to the conclusion my dear wife does not understand how a van + trailer moves, be that forwards or backwards.

So, does anyone know of a cheap reversing style camera I can use instead of my wife ?
Old 26 August 2014, 20:25   #2

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
If you have a gopro and iphone or similar you could rig that up or try 2 way radio I have used them in the past .
Old 26 August 2014, 20:42   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
OK,
So, does anyone know of a cheap reversing style camera I can use instead of my wife ?
Wont makes a tits bit of difference. Reversing a trailer is an acquired skill which requires practise, confidence and concentration. Very, very few women even attempt to reverse a trailer. Mine is a farmer's daughter. She''ll drag a 3500kg plant trailer 100s of miles, going forward.

I've seen blokes give up trying to back a boat down a slip because it's gotton so bad that everyone is laughing.

I've done 1000s of miles towing trailers, they hold no fear whatsoever, I can make a howling mess of it, if I'm not either paying enough attention or rushing the job.

If your's doesn't get the going forward bit, defo give up!
Old 26 August 2014, 20:54   #4

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Wont makes a tits bit of difference. Reversing a trailer is an acquired skill which requires practise, confidence and concentration. Very, very few women even attempt to reverse a trailer. Mine is a farmer's daughter. She''ll drag a 3500kg plant trailer 100s of miles, going forward.

I've seen blokes give up trying to back a boat down a slip because it's gotton so bad that everyone is laughing.

I've done 1000s of miles towing trailers, they hold no fear whatsoever, I can make a howling mess of it, if I'm not either paying enough attention or rushing the job.

If your's doesn't get the going forward bit, defo give up!
We have had that problem at puffin divers held up for 30 mins by some plonker PD was going balistic
Old 26 August 2014, 21:27   #5

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Quote:
I've spent my entire life in fear of being that guy. I think I've done OK so far. usually when I get myself in trouble there is no one around to see.

A van might be a different story. I tow with pickups and so I usually turn and look out the back. A good friend who is a metal fabricator/cowboy does all his backup up using just his side mirrors, very impressive.

jason
Old 26 August 2014, 21:27   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Quote:
OK, Ive now come to the conclusion my dear wife does not understand how a van + trailer moves, be that forwards or backwards.

Loads of different ones on ebay, but this is the setup I have on my motorhome.

Motorhome Twin Camera Rear View Reversing Kit & Mirror Monitor (white camera) | eBay

You can adjust one for the long view and the other looking at the hitch or whatever.

You can of course get a single camera setup alot cheaper

Old 26 August 2014, 21:38   #7

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
I went for a decent second hand one off ebay - £30 ish .
i drive a nissan interstar pannel van the mirrors are great but where i live - down 2 miles of mirror touching lanes i need it .
I can never see the back of the boat or what is behind you just the rubbing strake - although i can pretty much put a trailer anywhere i still like the added security of knowing how close things are behind or how close the outboard leg is to anything .
Also when at home i have to reverse the boat round a hair pin in to our woods entrance which is fine in the day time but i have added 2 high power led work lights so night is now day

£30 is better than digging the prop in to the hedge or worse
Old 26 August 2014, 21:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtalljv View Post
does all his backup up using just his side mirrors, very impressive.
As do I, it's much easier than it looks. By constantly monitoring each mirror, you can see exactly what the trailer is doing and keep it on track with small but numerous steering wheel movements. Not big ones after it's gone wrong.
Old 26 August 2014, 21:47   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
As do I, it's much easier than it looks. By constantly monitoring each mirror, you can see exactly what the trailer is doing and keep it on track with small but numerous steering wheel movements. Not big ones after it's gone wrong.
Agreed, providing you can see the trailer/boat through the wing mirrors, I cant, thats why I have the twin reversing camera set up to be live all the time whilst driving.
Old 26 August 2014, 21:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
Agreed, providing you can see the trailer/boat through the wing mirrors, .
Nope, we used to tow a pedestrian roller on a short trailer behind a high bodied 12.5t tipper. We couldn't see it at all, we used to reverse it back down narrow country lanes by anticipating what it was doing back there.

No such thing as "can't", reversing cameras are for girls.
Old 26 August 2014, 22:09   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Nope, we used to tow a pedestrian roller on a short trailer behind a high bodied 12.5t tipper. We couldn't see it at all, we used to reverse it back down narrow country lanes by anticipating what it was doing back there.

I bow to your superior knowledge and expertise

I must [B]try harder[B]
Old 26 August 2014, 23:05   #12

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:

Yep same here bud i ust to deliver towed water bowsers here there and everywhere and only used mirrors or my 6th sense to reverse but with a truck or pick up you can see there is nothing behind so really there is no worries .
i still only use mirrors mainly so i can say i can but the camera is there for a quick glance to be sure there is nothing pulled up behind me and also to see over the low hedges if reversing round corners and mirrors dont see round corners - the last thing i want to do is prang my pride and joy or someone else s.

Also on busy slips or the local one i dont want to be backing over the dumb guy - girl or kid who walks behind me when backing down while the sailing - rowing club takes over 90% of the slip its like a reverse slarlem track sometimes

the initial reason for fitting the camera was when a twat on a scooter pulled right up behind me on one of the lanes [ out of mirror view ] - i reversed he didnt move or beep and without me seeing him or him approach i knocked in to him He admitted being a twat but it could of ended worse

Ime sure the op asked if some one could recommend a cheap reverse camera

Ile get the details of mine once the van comes back from the garage and pass on
Old 26 August 2014, 23:16   #13

Town: Gillingham
Boat name: Harrys Game
Make: Avon WB 450
Engine: Yamaha F50
Towing is straight forward . Reversing seems to be the problem. My answer was to fit a front tow ball life is sooooo much easier. Regards Jim
Old 27 August 2014, 00:08   #14

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Never have a problem with boat trailers due to the long drawbars but my little trailer is a right little $hit because I can't see it behind the Landy until it's sideways....

Have to agree with Mollers, cameras are for girls !!!
Old 27 August 2014, 05:38   #15
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Never have a problem with boat trailers due to the long drawbars but my little trailer is a right little $hit because I can't see it behind the Landy until it's sideways....

Have to agree with Mollers, cameras are for girls !!!
Well done!! you have just contradicted yourself
Old 27 August 2014, 05:56   #16

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Not really bartiny, I still reverse the small trailer but due to the short drawbar it doesn't appear until it's locked over and the mudguards appear as it's narrow. A camera wouldn't help......

Started on tractors & trailers as a kid so no issues with boats but you need to watch the guys with timber articulated lorries to see real skill !!
Old 27 August 2014, 06:09   #17

Town: Haugesund
Boat name: Katrina
Make: Hurricane
Engine: 100 Hp Merc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Not really bartiny, I still reverse the small trailer but due to the short drawbar it doesn't appear until it's locked over and the mudguards appear as it's narrow. A camera wouldn't help......

Started on tractors & trailers as a kid so no issues with boats but you need to watch the guys with timber articulated lorries to see real skill !!
Like this?
Superb Skills - Log Truck 360 Turn Around Above Dangerous Cliff Edge - YouTube
geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 06:15   #18

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i have two cameras on my trooper, though not for reversing as such, i have one mounted over each hitch (front and rear) to speed up the job of reversing onto the trailer. people watch me get my hitch right under the coupling first time and think its down to practice! mine is only made up of cheap ebay cameras and a cheap ebay screen.
Old 27 August 2014, 06:16   #19
RIBnet supporter

To answer the OP again, Another cheaper option is one of these wireless kits, easy to install but can suffer from signal breakdown if any intereference.

Wireless Car Rear View Kit 4.3" TFT LCD Monitor + 7 LED Reversing Backup Camera | eBay

Hope this answers your question
Old 27 August 2014, 06:44   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:

Your vans a high top so put a wired camera on the back high up (you can also use it to line up the hitch etc), hope your reversing is ok later