Old 27 August 2014, 07:09   #21

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinghouse View Post
i have two cameras on my trooper, though not for reversing as such, i have one mounted over each hitch (front and rear) to speed up the job of reversing onto the trailer. people watch me get my hitch right under the coupling first time and think its down to practice! mine is only made up of cheap ebay cameras and a cheap ebay screen.
Another bonus to my camera mount is it is lined up to see door seal between the rear doors - this happens to be in line with the tow bar which makes it one attempt to back up to any trailer within 1/2 inch of perfect .
Old 27 August 2014, 07:12   #22

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Imv. Cameras are great for reversing a vehicle, helpful when coupling, but no aid to reversing a trailer. I'd actually say that that use of a camera when reversing a trailer could be a hinderance.
Old 27 August 2014, 07:27   #23
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Imv. Cameras are great for reversing a vehicle, helpful when coupling, but no aid to reversing a trailer. I'd actually say that that use of a camera when reversing a trailer could be a hinderance.
The Navara Has one for reversing that also shows the hitch which is great for backing onto the trailer but nfu after that
Old 27 August 2014, 07:40   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I realised a long time ago that the best use for anyone who wants to 'help' is to use them to stop muppets walking into the path of the trailer and tell them to STFU unless you're about to hit something with the trailer. Having someone there who's actively stopping idiots who couldn't reverse a dinky toy shouting directions is far more help.

I also doubt a camera will help much. You'd be better off putting the cash towards being trained by someone who does the B+E.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 08:41   #25
keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 55HP
Any trailer with no weight over the wheels is a pig to reverse. They go so much better with weight on.
Old 27 August 2014, 08:48   #26

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
For getting on the hitch, cameras are great if mounted appropriately. Not a lot of use for anything else with trailers.

I found the best way to reverse a trailer is to practise a lot. Find a large open area where there is nothing to hit, a disused car park for example, and keep practising. It is so much easier when you don't have any pressure and lots of time.
Old 27 August 2014, 12:57   #27

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
FWIW wireless security cameras run the same frequency as reversing cameras.....

I would debate the "cameras for wooses" point - I have never managed to get my boat straight into my garage. Why? because I am reversing round a blind corner down a steep which means I get a fantastic view of the fibreglass of my bow in the O/S mirror, a wonderful view of the neigbour's roof in the N/S Mirror and a wonderful view of the bow toob in the rear view. Even once it's all straightened up, the nose of the car is almost on the pavement over the road and in the 6m or so between the "hump" of the pavement and the door I have to be strretching myself so high in my seat I have my head bouncing off the roof of the car to see the top of the garage door.- the back of the toobs have long dissappeared behind the bow.... It is literally a case of reversing blind.

I'm toying with a camera o nthe lighting board, or as per the top of my post possibly a cheap security camera above the garage door to give me a better positional indication.
Old 27 August 2014, 14:01   #28

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
FWIW wireless security cameras run the same frequency as reversing cameras.....

I would debate the "cameras for wooses" point - I have never managed to get my boat straight into my garage. Why? because I am reversing round a blind corner down a steep which means I get a fantastic view of the fibreglass of my bow in the O/S mirror, a wonderful view of the neigbour's roof in the N/S Mirror and a wonderful view of the bow toob in the rear view. Even once it's all straightened up, the nose of the car is almost on the pavement over the road and in the 6m or so between the "hump" of the pavement and the door I have to be strretching myself so high in my seat I have my head bouncing off the roof of the car to see the top of the garage door.- the back of the toobs have long dissappeared behind the bow.... It is literally a case of reversing blind.

I'm toying with a camera o nthe lighting board, or as per the top of my post possibly a cheap security camera above the garage door to give me a better positional indication.

I have mine mounted on top of the rear of the van and get a full view of the whole boat and o/b and 4 ft either side and 15 ft behind .
depending on what you drive would depend on where best to mount it ?

I have seen a local guy down the slip who fitted one to a pole mounted on the winch post of his trailer so it sits 2 ft above the boat and he can see the entire boat with 3 ft or more either side and he just has a jack plug and socket on the back of his landy for connecting
Old 27 August 2014, 14:23   #29

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
We have had that problem at puffin divers held up for 30 mins by some plonker PD was going balistic

Aye & after spending 30 mins trying to reverse the trailer he finally got the boat out & then started washing his boat & diving gear off on the slip. That's when my usual calm & diplomatic personae slipped, tw4t!

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 14:56   #30

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Started on tractors & trailers as a kid so no issues with boats but you need to watch the guys with timber articulated lorries to see real skill !!
I reverse loads of stuff constantly but find I cant use a camera for sh*t ... I just use mirrors, its far easier, although a RIB on a boat trailer is a doddle cos the axle is usually so far away from the hitch point. The hardest thing I ever reversed was a 4 wheel trailer of straw, with an axle at each end of the trailer, and the front one was on its own turntable, coupled with the tow hitch, that gave 2 pivot points ... that would learn ye
Old 27 August 2014, 15:02   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I reverse loads of stuff constantly but find I cant use a camera for sh*t ... I just use mirrors, its far easier, although a RIB on a boat trailer is a doddle cos the axle is usually so far away from the hitch point.

Aye, 4 wheel long trailer doddle. I find that when I've been reversing the boat & try & reverse the car without the trailer, I'm all over the place. I can't look over my shoulder either, can only use the mirrors. I have a rear camera on the Disco & it's great for hitching on, but that's as far as it goes. Waste of time for reversing.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2014, 15:52   #32

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Depends on where the camera is, I'd guess. On the back of the tow vehicle, I agree. If you could mount the camera on the back of the trailer, it would be great for reversing into narrow blind areas (which I seem to do a lot, for some reason.)

That said, I don't use one.

jky
Old 27 August 2014, 15:56   #33

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Aye & after spending 30 mins trying to reverse the trailer he finally got the boat out & then started washing his boat & diving gear off on the slip. That's when my usual calm & diplomatic personae slipped, tw4t!

.....sh1t happens.......
Best I recall was a group of Korean spearfishermen launching for (I presume) the first time: 3 drivers, took 45 minutes to get the trailer far enough down the ramp to have it in the water, only to find that the angle of the trailer caused the boat to hit the dock before it cleared the trailer. 10 minutes later they got that corrected and launched the boat. They were out for about a half hour, and the whole show repeated itself for the recovery.

jky
Old 27 August 2014, 16:26   #34

Town: Crewe
Boat name: BLACK BOSS
Make: humber & searider
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x200 ETEC & 2x40
MMSI: ex directory
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
OK, Ive now come to the conclusion my dear wife does not understand how a van + trailer moves, be that forwards or backwards.

So, does anyone know of a cheap reversing style camera I can use instead of my wife ?
put your wife behind the steering and you give the directions , I have had hrs with this problem
Old 27 August 2014, 16:52   #35

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I limit my wife to standing astride the hitch when hooking up the boat & trailer and ask her to put her head directly in line. When she looks worried I 'm usually pretty close........
Old 27 August 2014, 17:04   #36

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

.....sh1t happens.......
pms and he did it 2 years running twit
Old 27 August 2014, 18:49   #37

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
How about a bit of low-tech help?

After struggling slightly with crosscurrents whilst recovering the boat I added some float-em poles to my trailer. A side effect was making the position of the trailer much more apparent and The Wife suddenly twigged which way to steer.
Old 27 August 2014, 19:07   #38

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
I wish we had fitted float em poles years ago, as they work really well

IMHO a spare low tech human being in the wing mirror or line of sight shouting simple advice is more valuable than high tech cameras
Old 27 August 2014, 20:01   #39

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Lol, I'm happy to reverse them all day long, until my wife tries directing me where I can't see, much amusement.

She failed her trailer test dismally too, so muggins here had to build her a horsebox instead.

A truck spec reversing camera is what you need, with a plug in cable to the car at the back.
Old 27 August 2014, 20:04   #40

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigoftd View Post

I have seen a local guy down the slip who fitted one to a pole mounted on the winch post of his trailer so it sits 2 ft above the boat and he can see the entire boat with 3 ft or more either side and he just has a jack plug and socket on the back of his landy for connecting

That is a brilliant idea!!!