Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Max towing length 6 metres
but with a maximum of 7 metres if it is classed as an Indivisible load ( load that can not be readily broken into smaller units ) eg aircraft/ helicopter / boat hull .
So my 6.5m on the trailer, with a total length of 7.5m from tow hitch to the rear of the boat is illegal to tow then?
Old 02 February 2013, 09:24   #62
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I know it's American, but this is a well lit trailer with LED rear lights, wheel arch marker lights and amber side lights. Kinda puts our plastic light boards to shame. I especially like the tail marker lights below the outboard... nice!

That's what I was thinking maybe some Amber LEDs that I can put on the winch post which will be out of the water when launching and will be at a height so impatient drivers will see there is something attached to the back of my car. So do we think that if I attached one on each side of the winch post I will be contravening any laws? Pic of my rig:

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....9&d=1350293403
Old 02 February 2013, 09:59   #63

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post

So my 6.5m on the trailer, with a total length of 7.5m from tow hitch to the rear of the boat is illegal to tow then?

They don't take into account the length of the tow / draw bar & you may be ok as its a boat could be classed as an indivisible load .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3745688416.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	76258  
Old 02 February 2013, 11:26   #64

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
That's what I was thinking maybe some Amber LEDs that I can put on the winch post which will be out of the water when launching and will be at a height so impatient drivers will see there is something attached to the back of my car. So do we think that if I attached one on each side of the winch post I will be contravening any laws?
Nice rig by the way.

You've already got the amber reflectors, (and plenty of them). Don't see why an additional amber marker light either side of the winch-post would contravene any traffic laws, and as you say the lights would be out of the water. The link I posted earlier was for waterproof LEDs. I might go for separate white LEDs on the front of the mudguards and red ones on the rear.

Use tinned wire, solder connections and heat shrink where necessary.
Old 02 February 2013, 14:12   #65
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Nice rig by the way.

You've already got the amber reflectors, (and plenty of them). Don't see why an additional amber marker light either side of the winch-post would contravene any traffic laws, and as you say the lights would be out of the water. The link I posted earlier was for waterproof LEDs. I might go for separate white LEDs on the front of the mudguards and red ones on the rear.

Use tinned wire, solder connections and heat shrink where necessary.
Cheers chap,

So if I put LEDs on the side of the winch post should they be amber because they will be facing out to the sides.

I think I am getting this red if facing backwards, white if facing forwards amber on the sides?
Old 02 February 2013, 17:06   #66

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Reflective tape/vinl on the . Main trailer rails works great,
Old 02 February 2013, 17:16   #67

Town: Oakland CA
Waterproof LED Fleet Count Sealed Marker/Clearance Light - Overton's

Marker lights are available in fully sealed, LED capsules. Still have to be careful about wiring (getting it waterproof), but the lights themselves will stand up to repeated dunking (from experience.)

In the US, my trailer (for a 18' RIB) is required to have: running/turn/brake lights on either side at the rear (one side containing a license plate light), a over-80" set of three red lights in the center at the rear, clearance markers near the widest point (which ends up as the fenders), and side marker lights on the tongue (about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way back.) I believe additional lights are allowed as long as the required ones are present.

jky
Old 02 February 2013, 18:18   #68

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I've got these mounted on the ends of the trailer board. I can see them at night which is handy for reversing & I know if the trailer board falls off, don't ask how I know
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2013, 20:11   #69

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
There are new(ish) rules about using reflective tape instead of marker lights. On the phone so not going to try & post a link... Might be worth a Google?

On the subject of iffy but useful lights, wot 'bout a reversing lamp ahead of the nearside wheel for use on single track roads when you meet the numptie that doesn't know how to work reverse and it would be handy to know how close the trailer is to the ditch...?
Old 05 February 2013, 08:00   #70

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Engine: 100
just caught up with this thread, various things towed with work over the years, staying away from water, bateson had brilliant designs, and they incorporated white forward into their light clusters- they were great, reversing yachts and stuff in tight places in the dark- suction mounted spotlights into the 12v socket, the current rib- I got my local trailer dealer to source me a lighting board with forward facing whites, what that ended up being was him adding some wired in LED clusters on the ends of the board.... excellent, I can see them, so it helps me in the dark, and they are enough for other vehicles to see, and like Pikey, very useful when the board jumps out of its cradle
Old 11 February 2013, 17:52   #71
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Well I have added some whites to the back of the trailer lightboard which should provide enough light for other drivers to see there is a boat attached to the car. Also help me know where the back of the boat is when reversing it up the drive way.

So from all the responses I think I am not breaking any regulations......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130211_185137.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	76502   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130211_185220.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	76503  
Old 11 February 2013, 20:52   #72

Town: Oakland CA
Off-topic:

At home, I pull past my driveway, then have to back the rig into the drive at a 45 degree angle, then another 45 around a bush up a slope, then through a gate, up against a wall to the parking space. My neighborhood is dark enough that it's impossible to see anything, and the boat/trailer effectively shadows the floodlights from the house. As such, I put some back-up lights on the trailer, using these. I've got two pair on the passenger side, and two singles on the drivers side. At least now I can see what I'm about to run over, rather than sensing it and getting out and taking stock.