Old 02 November 2012, 09:12   #21

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW RIB Charter View Post
pulled over and be given a good going over.
Don't tell them that Mike, they'll be at it all the time!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 November 2012, 13:57   #22

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW RIB Charter View Post
Agree entirely. By illegally mounting your lighting on the load rather than the trailer you are asking to be pulled over and be given a good going over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
The board should be attached to the trailer not the load.......
Errr by that theory every single sailing dinghy ever towed is illegal.

Projections still need marked, (e.g overhanging mast) but you can hang the lighting board off the rudder pintles with no problem. (even tho' the back end of the trailer is probably 1.5m ahead of the lights)

There are exceptions for boats, where (and I am open to correction on this sentence) the boat is essentially considered part of the trailer for lighting puposes,
Some of the lighting rules are different or not applicable when used on a boat trailer, from memory, mostly around orange markers & front facing whites when the length gets to the size you would normally need them.
Old 02 November 2012, 14:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Errr by that theory every single sailing dinghy ever towed is illegal.

Projections still need marked, (e.g overhanging mast) but you can hang the lighting board off the rudder pintles with no problem. (even tho' the back end of the trailer is probably 1.5m ahead of the lights)

There are exceptions for boats, where (and I am open to correction on this sentence) the boat is essentially considered part of the trailer for lighting puposes,
Some of the lighting rules are different or not applicable when used on a boat trailer, from memory, mostly around orange markers & front facing whites when the length gets to the size you would normally need them.

This is pretty much correct. You can have up to a 3.05m overhang as long as you have a lighting board fitted. There are different parameters for shorter lengths of overhang. But yes, essentially up to 3.05m (which would be a dinghy etc) overhang and you can have a lighting board on it.

As for fitting a lighting board to your A-Frame, again I think you would likely be covered by the law. Ironically, it'd probably be the red, reflective, triangles that would let you down!

If you can't adhere to the standard lighting regs you can have the indicators up to a height of 2.3m and the stop/tail lights up to 2.1m, off the ground... The triangles, however, can only be a max of 1.2m off the floor.

So the 'work-round' would to be to fit reflective triangles to the side of the trailer chassis* and hang your lighting board on your A-Frame.

* Is anyone really going to? Unlikely!

So before we hijack the post anymore (apologies to OP!), I refer to my previous suggestions for stopping the boat hitting the chassis rails
Old 06 November 2012, 17:59   #24

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
give it some wellie

Quote:
I am worried that this may cause damage to the tubes when recovering the boat if she is not perfectly square onto the trailer
yesterday (what a nice day for boating that was-outstanding) on a local commercial fisherman's trailer...the readily available cheap answer. And if ya forget your own boots you could always borrow those that belong to the trailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wellie resized.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	73930  
Old 06 November 2012, 22:10   #25

Town: Shropshire
Boat name: Tanimola
Make: Brig F400S
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 40HP
Inspirational!!!
Old 07 November 2012, 07:52   #26

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Back to the OP's original question.... If his trailer is far enough into the water for the boat to be recovered then the extension arms will be well under the surface. If his tubes come into contact with them then there is something seriously wrong with his recovery method.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2012, 09:18   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Back to the OP's original question.... If his trailer is far enough into the water for the boat to be recovered then the extension arms will be well under the surface. If his tubes come into contact with them then there is something seriously wrong with his recovery method.
Not true. We punctured our Zodiac Pro in exactly the way he describes. There was a bit of a swell coming in and I was only 11 so wasn't able to hold it off and it just rode up and hurt itself
Old 07 November 2012, 11:44   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Not true. We punctured our Zodiac Pro in exactly the way he describes. There was a bit of a swell coming in and I was only 11 so wasn't able to hold it off and it just rode up and hurt itself
I have to say I agree with Erin. That's not so say there wasn't something wrong with your recovery method too! If the swell is sufficient that a part of the trailer that should be completely below the hull contacts the tubes then I'd have thought the risk of injury or hull damage was also quite high.
Old 07 November 2012, 12:27   #29

At the bow if I were to park my boat on the grass & reverse the trailer up to it, the boat would need to be lying on it's toobs (the way you would expect it to lie on grass without support) to manage to get the board bracket to come anywhere near the hypalon.

Now, if I were recovering off the end of a pier (e.g South Queensferry at low tide) then yes, I could see how the two might meet in a swell, but if the bars are retracted, then they should be level with or slightly behind the rear roller so should never meet the hull.
Old 07 November 2012, 12:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
If you can't adhere to the standard lighting regs you can have the indicators up to a height of 2.3m and the stop/tail lights up to 2.1m, off the ground... The triangles, however, can only be a max of 1.2m off the floor.

So the 'work-round' would to be to fit reflective triangles to the side of the trailer chassis* and hang your lighting board on your A-Frame.

The big problem there is that there are more than enough trailers with fully functional lighting board brackets at the "standard" height, so I suspect if it came to it you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the prosecutors had a half decent lawyer.
Old 07 November 2012, 13:33   #31

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
i was only 11 so wasn't able to hold it off and it just rode up and hurt itself
You SB
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2012, 15:55   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
The big problem there is that there are more than enough trailers with fully functional lighting board brackets at the "standard" height, so I suspect if it came to it you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the prosecutors had a half decent lawyer.
Don't disagree at all. And whilst the interpretation of the law is down to the individual court, or QC, or whomever, what I posted is still 'the law', when it comes to trailer lighting regulations.

So I'd have guessed, if they were to rule it unsafe practice, in court, and fine you (or disembowl you, or garrot you ) then they'd have to rewrite the C&U regs pertaining to trailers. Or more specifically the lighting.

Still, as you correctly stated, there's plenty of trailers out there conforming to the normal lighting board practice, that the likelyhood of you having to do something out of the ordinary is slim. But I feel it'd be pretty poor show if you abided by the letter of the law and they took you to court and found you guilty of not adhering to the C&U as stated.
Old 07 November 2012, 18:55   #33

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Silly question, I know but...

If I had a trailer where all lights and the numberplate meet the requirements but, when the boat is on it, they are all obscured, is that (a) legal and (b) more legal than having the board attached to the boat (load)?

Feel free to sally forth with sill answers.

Hugh
Old 07 November 2012, 19:51   #34
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I have to say I agree with Erin. That's not so say there wasn't something wrong with your recovery method too! If the swell is sufficient that a part of the trailer that should be completely below the hull contacts the tubes then I'd have thought the risk of injury or hull damage was also quite high.
Probably was! Think it was only the second or third time we'd ever tried it!

Was a pretty tricky slip actually, and after that time we never used it again. I think the story would be different now however, because in the same situation I could hold the boat off whereas before I couldn't. The the swell was probably about 1.5ft so 3ft up down makes quite a difference to the boat coming up and forward the falling down onto the trailer. It was also a poorly designed trailer because it wasn't possible to remove the extension bars.
Old 08 November 2012, 08:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Silly question, I know but...

If I had a trailer where all lights and the numberplate meet the requirements but, when the boat is on it, they are all obscured, is that (a) legal and (b) more legal than having the board attached to the boat (load)?

Feel free to sally forth with sill answers.

Hugh
(a) no
(b) no

Same reason Halfords sell you a kighting board with no triangles to put on the back of the 6 bikes you have hung off your boot lid - the bikes obscure the legal stuff like lights & number plate.
Old 08 November 2012, 08:24   #36

Back to the OP & the dimensions.
Granted, this is my trailer / boat setup, but anyone with a long shaft engine isn't going to be too dissimilar.

I trimmed my engine right out so it was poking out as far as it would go (almost horizontal). Distance from the transom top to to the tip pf the skeg - 113cm.

Trimmed in to "tow" position (approx 45 degrees), distance from tip of skeg to bottom of transom on the horizontal - 96cm.

The way my trailer is set up, the chassis bars stop pretty much level with the bottom of the transom. So, I could legally fit lights to the end of them & my O/B leg doesn't break any overhang rules. BUT I still had to extend them for the lighting board because the leg / prop bag obscured the number plate.