Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post

I hope not
Must just be me then!
Old 17 November 2012, 17:14   #22

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The condition of that axle slots nicely into the thread a week or so ago about trailer axles and corrosion etc. That axle would be consider to be galvanised but the moving parts are not so a gavanised axle actually is only a partly galvanised axle. IMO it's about time these suspension manufacurers got their arses into gear and produced a proper rust resistant axle. I'm certain they know the limitations of what they produce so to deliberately fit these parts into an axle on a boat trailer is pretty close to unfit for purpose in my book. Oops, a wee rant, couldn't help maself...
Old 17 November 2012, 17:20   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I disagree. The Green flag never attend themselves so when a contractor comes out its to get you home and as quick as possible. I was with them for some time but not once did they try a repair. Its quicker for them to get you home then they are free for the next job. Theve been paid so why bother repairing

The RAC and AA at least try a repair as it saves the need to pay to outsource for recovery, plus it gives them the 97% repair on site stats they sell policy on

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
That's what I'm on about, they turn up & either get you home or take you to your destination & don't bugger about, what more do you want from a rescue service? If you're at the side of the road with a broken axle, they ain't going to mend it are they? Chances are, if it's mendable I'd do it myself without calling them out.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 17:27   #24

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave

That's what I'm on about, they turn up & either get you home or take you to your destination & don't bugger about, what more do you want from a rescue service? If you're at the side of the road with a broken axle, they ain't going to mend it are they? Chances are, if it's mendable I'd do it myself without calling them out.
Agreed but sometimes its a simple fix. For example a family member had a fan belt go, they recovered! Had it been the AA or RAC they'd have repaired and she could have been on her way. She had to wait 1 1/2 for the first call out guy, then another 40 for the recovery truck.

Obviously if its beyond repair then hey have no other option.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 17 November 2012, 17:35   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Agreed but sometimes its a simple fix. For example a family member had a fan belt go, they recovered! Had it been the AA or RAC they'd have repaired and she could have been on her way. She had to wait 1 1/2 for the first call out guy, then another 40 for the recovery truck.

Obviously if its beyond repair then hey have no other option.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, broke down on the A66 on my way to Glasgow in a Citroen Dispatch van, fanbelt went. Called Green Flag, they turned up, called the Citroen main dealer in Penrith, no fanbelt on the shelf, had to order one in for next day. I opted to be brought home. Even my main dealer didn't have a fanbelt in stock & had to order it in. No-one carries stock these days, everything is on a next day delivery, if you're lucky
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 18:43   #26

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
IMO it's about time these suspension manufacurers got their arses into gear and produced a proper rust resistant axle. I'm certain they know the limitations of what they produce so to deliberately fit these parts into an axle on a boat trailer is pretty close to unfit for purpose in my book. Oops, a wee rant, couldn't help maself...
But, isnt it the cost of the solution which no one will pay? that is the reason why we are stuck with the problem. Not saying Ive worked it out .. but the man that does, for sensible money, I agree will take home the bacon, and it cant come soon enough for sure.

Get thee out to the shed .....
Old 17 November 2012, 18:51   #27

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
AA have been good to me ... the fuel pipe had bust on my Terrano while on holiday in Cornwall the nice chap from the AA pieced it up for me which took him a good hour that was 5 years ago and it's still on there
Old 17 November 2012, 18:53   #28

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
+1 for green flag. Always been quick and completely hassle free for car or trailer. Been with them for years.
Old 17 November 2012, 18:54   #29
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
noe nead.

I av bin livvin inn de shedd orl weak paiyin forr a momint ov weekness wen inn mi cupps

Topp tipp: Ifn yew lyke livvin inn yorr howse, downt shagg yor missisis sisster.

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 18:59   #30

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
National breakdown now the green flag are the one for me only broke down once and it was the oil pump but when I go abroad they cover my caravan and boat and in the past have flown tyres out to me
Old 17 November 2012, 22:42   #31

Quote:
But, isnt it the cost of the solution which no one will pay? ......Not saying Ive worked it out .. but the man that does, for sensible money, I agree will take home the bacon, and it cant come soon enough for sure.

Yeh, well, perhaps I should get out to the shed cos I worked it out long ago... so, Mr Indespension, you can have this for free: make separate stub axles which are held in via a Morse taper and a single big nut at the back of the arm, galvanize the inner bar and arm, ream out the galvanizing from the tapered hole after the galvanizing. Job done. This will also allow the replacement of a rusting stub axle if necessary so you can make more money. If you want to do it properly, make the stub axle out of one of the tough grades of stainless steel.

Actually, you can keep the royalties but send me a good Macallan at Xmas time. Ta.
Old 17 November 2012, 23:14   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
make the stub axle out of one of the tough grades of stainless steel.
Ding ding .. instant punter turn off .. cos it costs ££££ dont disagree with a word of your thinking .. but the punters will not pay
Old 17 November 2012, 23:19   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
In contrast soon after I first met my wife her maestro has a "dislocated gear linkage" which the AA just 'relocated' at the roadside (one for their stats). It didn't make it the rest of the way home before it went again [but I came out and improvised a repair with a shoe lace whilst she was waiting for them to come back]...
Sounds to me like they did you a favour

I think?
Old 17 November 2012, 23:24   #34

Quote:
Ding ding .. instant punter turn off .. cos it costs ££££ dont disagree with a word of your thinking .. but the punters will not pay
Well I dunno, I paid extra to have galvanized units when I build my trailer, I wasn't aware at that time that all I was getting was the outside box galvanized. Surely I can't be the only one who'd pay to have the peace of mind of non-corrosion. Wouldn't you?
Old 17 November 2012, 23:30   #35
RIBnet Supporter

JW: I fear you have underestimated the level of "tightness" on the go at the mo. I myself succumbed recently and instantly felt the pain and embarrassment of trying to make €15 do the work of €85...

The times we live in
Old 18 November 2012, 15:08   #36

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
ALKO axles have a heavy cast arm and the suspension units I have used to replace the failed part have solid 1/2" steel crank arms. These will outlive the trailer, so why, as jwalker says, do Snipe & Peak choose to use pressed steel RHS crank arms on a boat trailer?
Old 18 November 2012, 16:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
ALKO axles have a heavy cast arm and the suspension units I have used to replace the failed part have solid 1/2" steel crank arms. These will outlive the trailer, so why, as jwalker says, do Snipe & Peak choose to use pressed steel RHS crank arms on a boat trailer?
IIRC I had Alko gear on the trailer that came with the 8.5 I used to have, and I still have the dent in my wallet to this day when I bought new cables and shoes to re-line both axles. (which failed just as quick as any other brakes assy)

But I dont follow your post ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
ALKO axles have a heavy cast arm and the suspension units I have used to replace the failed part have solid 1/2" steel crank arms.
What failed .. you mean you put an ALKO axle on a generic trailer with a knacked axle ?
Old 18 November 2012, 18:40   #38

No, just making a point that other manufacturers make their suspension units and axles out of beefier material, eg heavy cast arms by ALKO and solid steel arms on independent suspension units I bought recently (manufacturer unknown). These independent units are bolted to a new axle beam which replaces the failed PEAK axle on my SNIPE boat trailer.
I couldn't find a replacement axle 'off the shelf' to suit the trailer, so I made up a new beam with bolt on suspension units.
Old 18 November 2012, 19:23   #39

So how much were the ALKO axle units then ?
Old 18 November 2012, 19:59   #40

ALKO axles are around £150-£200, but all the ones I saw for sale were the wrong size, so it would have been a special order item, which may have cost more.

It's only a small 500kg trailer, so I made up an axle from 50x50 RHS and welded some angles and flat plates on it, then got it galvanised. The 500kg suspension units which are now fitted were around £50/pr.