Old 14 November 2012, 22:15   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Let down by the AA with boat trailer

Well, after my positive comments regarding the AA on a recent thread regarding recovery when your trailer breaks, my thoughts have changed slightly today!

Towed this small Snipe trailer over 300 miles. 9 miles from home drove over a cattle grid. Big bang, sparks in the mirror. Axle had snapped. Rang the AA to be told it wasn't a "break down" and I was not covered. Just great. They said because "something" had caused this damage it was classed as road accident, so I should ring my car insurance. I had this confirmed by a second person. What a load of rubbish! I wish now I had been more economical with the details and simply said "my wheel doesn't look right". Had to drive home, get another trailer, come back, winch this lot on. Bit of a pain!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	74187  
Old 14 November 2012, 22:19   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
It looks well corroded Tim. As for the AA... these days unfortunately.. honesty doesn't pay
Old 14 November 2012, 22:34   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
So, if going over the same cattle grid in your car and the suspension on your car collapses then they're not gunna take your car home??? I would think not !!
Just glad I don't give them any of my money!!
I'd certainly not be letting this one go!! Definitely worth the cost of a stamp on a well worded letter to their complaints department me thinks!
Old 14 November 2012, 22:56   #4

Town: Lochgilphead
Boat name: Fyne Pioneer
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 200HP Evinrudes
We had the same when we hit a pothole and got a flat on the van, without a spare tyre, rang the AA, who said it was an accident, thus we needed to ring our insurance company! I was less than impressed with them, that said, I have had a wheel bearing go on a trailer and they have been more than helpful in the past.
Old 14 November 2012, 22:56   #5

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
did you have AA trailer specific cover ?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2012, 22:58   #6

Town: Lochgilphead
Boat name: Fyne Pioneer
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Engine: Twin 200HP Evinrudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
did you have AA trailer specific cover ?
Not to my knowledge, why? Do other breakdown companies?
Old 15 November 2012, 06:30   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Just playing devil's advocate here. But the AA do say that the vehicle (read trailer) must be kept in a roadworth condition and maintained in line with manufacturer's specifications.

They are getting tighter regards their conditions of service. I used to run a Suzuki SJ410 many moons ago and I must have called them out 3-4 times one year. I received a letter to indicate that I may be refused membership or possibly charged for the next call-out. I wrote a letter to them saying the the faults were all unrelated, the car had a full MOT and I'd been a member for 10+ years. Got a nice letter back to say sorry.

Wouldn't be without them.

Luckily the trailer axle didn't break on a motorway. But I can see your frustration. Get a letter to them to see what they say.
Old 15 November 2012, 06:54   #8

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Not sure I'd have towed that on the road in the first place, I think the sooner we get MOTs for trailers the better. Last year there was a big Sunseeker on a trailer that collapsed on it's way out of the marina, if it had been 500 yards later it would have caused no end of delays.
Old 15 November 2012, 07:10   #9

Town: Plymouth
The AA have always been very good to me when I have needed them, including recovering my trailer from Germany earlier this year.

The RAC on the other hand are a nightmare. My Nissan Navara broke down on the side of the M5 a few years back while towing an empty boat trailer. After waiting several hours a guy turned up. The first thing he did was put a tape measure on the trailer, then said that according to his book it was 1ft to long, so got back back in his van and drove off!
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 07:26   #10

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Towing a boat on trailer from Liverpool the wheel nuts all disappeared on the nearside of the trailer that I'd just collected. I have to say the AA couldn't have been more helpful & put the boat/trailer on a lowloader & brought it all the way home. I have the relay option which gets you to your destination & wouldn't be without it although I only do about 4/5 drives of 100 miles plus a year.
Old 15 November 2012, 07:30   #11

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I had exactly the same thing happen only a few weeks ago. Phoned the AA and they asked me if it could have been caused by a pothole and I honestly replied that I did not know what had caused it. Anyway, they sent someone around and recovered the trailer back home for me - around 100 miles.
I told the AA guy that I wasn't sure whether the trailer would have been covered and he explained that it would be considered part of the vehicle, so no problem.
As an aside, I found the kwalitee of the trailer axle very shoddy, having non-galvanized pressed steel box section crank arms, rather than solid steel or cast iron as used by other manufacturers. This was a Snipe trailer with a Peak axle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121115_083045.png
Views:	365
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	74188
Old 15 November 2012, 07:48   #12

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Engine: 100
I'd again add, I've got my trailer (not the boat) added to my car insurance... got it 'fully comp' at around £20 a year
Old 15 November 2012, 18:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
This was a Snipe trailer with a Peak axle.

Attachment 74188
Same as mine! Does look very flimsy.

With regards the comments regarding unroadworthy-ness, I tow lots of trailers and this one didn't strike me as being unroadworthy or unsafe. I've towed much worse! I suspect the majority of boat trailers which are a few years old have suspension units that look similar in terms of the amount of surface rust.
Old 15 November 2012, 20:18   #14

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Gave up with the AA after a hub split, wouldn't come out as it was the trailer and not the car, I wasn't able to get specific trailer cover with them as mine is a fleet car.

Britannia have assured me that all is covered under one policy - we wait to find out.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 21:16   #15

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Same as mine! Does look very flimsy.

With regards the comments regarding unroadworthy-ness, I tow lots of trailers and this one didn't strike me as being unroadworthy or unsafe. I've towed much worse! I suspect the majority of boat trailers which are a few years old have suspension units that look similar in terms of the amount of surface rust.

I hope not
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2012, 21:19   #16

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Have you fixed it yet, Tim M?
Old 17 November 2012, 16:03   #17

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I've always been a Green Flag man meself. Most of their engineers are contractors so it's in their best interest to work with you as opposed to AA/RAC whose engineers are employed so get paid anyway.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 16:39   #18

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave
I've always been a Green Flag man meself. Most of their engineers are contractors so it's in their best interest to work with you as opposed to AA/RAC whose engineers are employed so get paid anyway.
I disagree. The Green flag never attend themselves so when a contractor comes out its to get you home and as quick as possible. I was with them for some time but not once did they try a repair. Its quicker for them to get you home then they are free for the next job. Theve been paid so why bother repairing

The RAC and AA at least try a repair as it saves the need to pay to outsource for recovery, plus it gives them the 97% repair on site stats they sell policy on

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 17 November 2012, 17:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Have you fixed it yet, Tim M?
New axle being ordered next week
Old 17 November 2012, 17:08   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
The Green flag never attend themselves so when a contractor comes out its to get you home and as quick as possible. I was with them for some time but not once did they try a repair.
Not my experience. I've only had one "proper breakdown" and they towed me off the motorway and to a garage in the middle of the night - then got the car going after about 10-15 minutes.

They also recovered my trailer when I had a puncture and no spare.
Quote:
The RAC and AA at least try a repair as it saves the need to pay to outsource for recovery, plus it gives them the 97% repair on site stats they sell policy on
But most of those will be: ran out of fuel, puncture, locked out car, flat battery, in reality modern cars are fairly reliable and there's not that much else that stops a well maintained modern car completely which you can fix at the roadside.

In contrast soon after I first met my wife her maestro has a "dislocated gear linkage" which the AA just 'relocated' at the roadside (one for their stats). It didn't make it the rest of the way home before it went again [but I came out and improvised a repair with a shoe lace whilst she was waiting for them to come back]... ...with hindsight it might have been better to tow the car to a garage and get it replaced, and arrange onward transport than set a young female driver off in the dark (before the time of mobile phones) with a bodged fix.

There is no perfect solution.