Old 17 April 2013, 13:47   #11
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Should be no need to replace the trailer wiring, unless it is corroded and turning that dark color. The wire is of decent quality it is the connections that suck.
Some of it's starting to go... definitely not tinned! (copper color not silver)

Old 18 April 2013, 06:02   #12

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Length: 6m +
A faulty negative normally gives that symptom. Carefully check the negative... it is Normally white wire.

Sometimes the trailer frame is used as a negative (like in cars).

Old 18 April 2013, 11:52   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
That's why I was confused. Testing with multimeter on the wires at the taillight show ~12v when the brakes or the turn indicator is on. Testing the brakelight on my car battery with leads/alligator clips show it works 100%. So, as peter says, maybe the amperage isn't there?
Which is why I said to check with lights connected (if possible.) If the fixture is pulling more current than the supply will handle, the voltage will drop, and you'll measure less than 12V (or with LED's likely less than about 9 volts.)

Can't really see that as a problem though, unless there's a short within the light fixture. LED's are pretty low current.

As for trailer wire, no reason it has to be the 4-conductor zip cord. I bought some jacketed 4 conductor stuff off E-Bay; next time I'm just going with regular primary wire, and planning on replacing the whole thing when it starts giving me problems (which it will eventually, no matter what you use.)

jky
Old 25 April 2013, 12:55   #14

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Curious what the outcome was?? Also how was the trip?
Old 25 April 2013, 13:17   #15
ncp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Curious what the outcome was?? Also how was the trip?
Re-ran the yellow wire (left turn signal/brake) down the left side of the trailer with some 16 gauge from Napa and cleaned all of the terminal connections at the 7-pin. Got everything to work and made it up to Huntington Harbor to head to Catalina. I couldn't tell you where the problem was exactly. Maybe if I had cleaned all of the connections first, I may have been ok but who knows.

What I did learn was that the wire quality was horrible all the way along was horrible. Un-tinned, plastic coating cracking off, bad connections, burn marks on the outside of wires....

Whenever something else craps out, I'm going to do the whole thing with good wire and lots of heat shrink and hot glue gun chips.

Catalina was gorgeous. Water temp was ~61. I even swam to and from the mooring when we had to get the boat (w/o wetsuit). Crossing was glassy both ways. The girls were happy there were pods of dolphins both ways that wanted to play and wake ride. Picked up 7 mylar balloons (mostly valentines days and little girls birthday parties - princess/Snow White) while transiting. Once my girlfriend downloads the pics off the camera, I'll throw some up.

Peter/jky, since you guys are the electronics experts, what do you think about this:
HDS-7 Gen 2 / P79 Losing depth at speed - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
I've got a week and a half to send this back to Lowrance before I reach my one year anniversary of ownership! (I can post a new thread if we need to generate other interest!)
Old 25 April 2013, 17:12   #16

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp View Post
Water temp was ~61. I even swam to and from the mooring when we had to get the boat (w/o wetsuit).
Some people call that refreshing. I call it F'ing cold...

Quote:
Picked up 7 mylar balloons (mostly valentines days and little girls birthday parties - princess/Snow White) while transiting.
Make sure you get them off the boat. Latex balloons degrade to a sticky muck, and some mylar ballons start shedding the metal particles, making a silvery semi-conducting mess.

Quote:
Peter/jky, since you guys are the electronics experts, what do you think about this:
HDS-7 Gen 2 / P79 Losing depth at speed - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
I've got a week and a half to send this back to Lowrance before I reach my one year anniversary of ownership! (I can post a new thread if we need to generate other interest!)
Ummm... What exactly is the problem? Are you losing lock on the bottom? Only at speed? If so, I'd say it's transducer location. Was this your post or a post by someone with a similar problem?

The speed thing in the post is a red herring; an in-hull ducer like the guy has can't read speed, so it has to be either a separate speed sensor (in the motor, maybe?) or working off the GPS.

Bottom line: Can't really tell you what a problem can be caused by if I don't know what you're having problems with.

jky
Old 25 April 2013, 17:27   #17
ncp

rib.net thread made and posted:
HDS-7 Gen 2 / P79 Losing depth at speed

Yes, it's my issue in my Willard.
Old 28 April 2013, 15:10   #18
ncp

Peter, since you asked for pictures!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130428_120740.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	79229

Name:	ForumRunner_20130428_120756.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	79230

Name:	ForumRunner_20130428_121013.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	79234

Name:	ForumRunner_20130428_121027.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	79235

Edit: I've never had rotation issues with pictures before. I even rotated them and then uploaded...still came out the same way.