Old 13 June 2013, 20:46   #41

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Update .. The X5 (57 plate) wont have them. I made a tidy job of the resistors on an aluminium heat sink from some scrap too

The brakes work fine, as do the indicators, but no side lights.

With everything off you get a pulse through each lamp every few seconds, which is the christmas tree effect Pikey D described

I imagine this is the system testing for bulb failure, as it does, and I have no idea what the fix for that is .. fortunately I have plenty of plant trailers I was intending these guys for anyway ... until some flash git picks up a digger with an X5
Old 14 June 2013, 07:55   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Update .. The X5 (57 plate) wont have them. I made a tidy job of the resistors on an aluminium heat sink from some scrap too

The brakes work fine, as do the indicators, but no side lights.

With everything off you get a pulse through each lamp every few seconds, which is the christmas tree effect Pikey D described

I imagine this is the system testing for bulb failure, as it does, and I have no idea what the fix for that is .. fortunately I have plenty of plant trailers I was intending these guys for anyway ... until some flash git picks up a digger with an X5
If its not a silly question, you did put the resistors in parallel with the indicators didn't you?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2013, 09:24   #43

Town: Crewe
Boat name: BLACK BOSS
Make: humber & searider
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x200 ETEC & 2x40
MMSI: ex directory
RIBase
Well done Crusher, thanks for that link
Old 14 June 2013, 13:36   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If its not a silly question, you did put the resistors in parallel with the indicators didn't you?
No .. because

Quote:
I'm guessing that you'll need to put a resistor in series with the indicators to suit most modern cars with CanBus systems, otherwise you'll be travelling down the road looking like a demented disco ball
I never questioned your judgement ... but I'll try that then
Old 14 June 2013, 13:50   #45

RIBase
Quote:
No .. because

I never questioned your judgement ... but I'll try that then
Oh sh1t wrong again

Right, just to get this straight, it's a 6.8ohm 25w resistor in parallel with LEDs, NOT a 6.8kOhm resistor in series. If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing 3 times..................................
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 14 June 2013, 15:05   #46

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Oh sh1t wrong again
Rule 1?
Old 14 June 2013, 15:44   #47

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Sick of changing bulbs in trailerboards
Bulbs? I'm sick of changing flippin' clusters!
Old 14 June 2013, 16:04   #48

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Rule 1?
Nope, perfickly sober, so I've no excuse
Old 14 June 2013, 17:01   #49

Well it still didnt work anyway .. christmas tree effect just the same ... the Bosch must have done something tricky with the leccy .. I'd have thought series would have been the correct procedure, since a direct resistive load is put in line with the supposed 'bulb', but like I said earlier.. surely all the lamps would need a resistor, as each one is detected seperately ?

Time to get googled
Old 14 June 2013, 17:13   #50

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Work fine on my Merc ML & Defender but they're not known for technology fortunately. They're very bright & hopefully will last a lot better than the bulbs ever did !!!
Old 14 June 2013, 17:16   #51

Getting somewhere now

Why do I need a towing module? | LED Tow Connect - Tow LED Fitted Trailers Safely

Its clearly the test signal causing the flashing

Then I saw the price
Old 14 June 2013, 17:57   #52

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I can't believe you said that about the price, it quite clearly says it's inexpensive !!
Old 14 June 2013, 18:15   #53

Its hard to believe that the manufacturers havent got a fix for this yet, such as being able to turn off the load sensing circuit, but as some reading has revealed, attachment of a trailer causes other changes in some cars, such as additional rear air bag pressure and gear ratio changes to mention a few, so the car needs to know something is behind it.

I also read that its mandatory to have a flasher illuminate on the dash to inform you of a connected trailer light ? .. I didnt know it was mandatory ?

Seems like later BM's and Mercs are the worst for it, as a simple resitor wont cure it, at least not in one circuit .. and that I find strange as some of these vehicles have been fitted with actual led's for some time ... maybe thats a factory option ? and thery are also fitted with a revised bulb failure detection system
Old 14 June 2013, 20:18   #54

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Its hard to believe that the manufacturers havent got a fix for this yet, such as being able to turn off the load sensing circuit, but as some reading has revealed, attachment of a trailer causes other changes in some cars, such as additional rear air bag pressure and gear ratio changes to mention a few, so the car needs to know something is behind it.

I also read that its mandatory to have a flasher illuminate on the dash to inform you of a connected trailer light ? .. I didnt know it was mandatory ?

Seems like later BM's and Mercs are the worst for it, as a simple resitor wont cure it, at least not in one circuit .. and that I find strange as some of these vehicles have been fitted with actual led's for some time ... maybe thats a factory option ? and thery are also fitted with a revised bulb failure detection system
I've had three sets of LED's on different set ups...Crap!..I've gone back to Bog Standard trailer Board for ease of running repairs...(It Can be Dangerous if Lights go U/S in Transit..not to metiom Mr Plod!)
You can always carry a few Bulbs ect...or even get things en-route in case of failure....Try that with LED's... I have!!...IMO Not worth the Hassel!!
Of course if you only go out Once or twice a yr they may last longer..Regular Dunking-Long Miles Been there, tried it!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2013, 20:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I've had three sets of LED's on different set ups...Crap!..I've gone back to Bog Standard trailer Board for ease of running repairs...(It Can be Dangerous if Lights go U/S in Transit..not to metiom Mr Plod!)
You can always carry a few Bulbs ect...or even get things en-route in case of failure....Try that with LED's... I have!!...IMO Not worth the Hassel!!
Of course if you only go out Once or twice a yr they may last longer..Regular Dunking-Long Miles Been there, tried it!
You know .. I was just wiring this set up for the last go .. and one of my solder joints failed as I fitted the Lamp pack back on the board .. and it occurred to me .. is this actually any more reliable ? If something fails with my soldering on the main road .. its not a screw driver and bulb job to fix, with plod breathing down your neck saying .. 'its 3 points if you cant fix it son '
.. and I had visions of carrying a spare set of mag mount lamps ... at which point the validity of the whole exercise was questioned .. maybe we are too ahead of the game fellas ?

one things for sure they work a treat with my works jeep on plant trailers
Old 09 July 2013, 21:37   #56

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
I'm sorry I started this thread for some.... But delighted for others....
Finally got round to buying some and wired mine in tonight. All functions work fine, BUT 2 of the 5 indicator LED's are on permanently.

Anyone had anything like this? It's on a 18month old XC90......

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions appreciated.... :-)
Old 09 July 2013, 21:46   #57

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
What happened to the chap from Ireland that was making braided waterproof modular unbreakable LED lighting systems for trailers to spec?
Guaranteed waterproof and unbreakable.
or have I missed something?
Old 10 July 2013, 13:29   #58

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The ones I am using come with an allegedly watertight connector. My plan is to carry a complete spare cluster which should be no more difficult to change than a bulb. (2 screws & pull the plug).

Having said that, my reasons for changing are more down to where to store the 2m manky plank on arrival at the slip than reliability, and so a change back won't be an issue... If they fail completely to "talk" to the car, I have half planned a set of "mini clusters" that can hang from the supporting woodwork that the LEDs are currently screwed to, and I'll replace the LED multiplug with a couple of Bulgin Buccaneers so the cables can go swimming.

That will keep the mank out the car far more easily!

When I get 5 mins free to finish the wiring I'll tell you how they behave.......

And yes, the trailer detect can (if the car maker has done their job properly) re- calibrate the ABS / stability control / cruise control (load compensation) / switch off the rear fog on the car without the aid of a crappy contact in the plug..... etc etc.

I also thought the extra indicator lamp was mandatory, but my Focus treats a trailer bulb failure as it would one on the car & ups the flash rate instead. It's got a factory fit hitch, so I guess its more a case of "trailer bulb failure indication" is what is mandatory rather than an actual lamp on your dash / annoying buzzer in the boot.
Old 10 July 2013, 14:10   #59

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
What happened to the chap from Ireland that was making braided waterproof modular unbreakable LED lighting systems for trailers to spec?
Guaranteed waterproof and unbreakable.
or have I missed something?
Or was he illegally promoting his wares without being a trade member?
Old 10 July 2013, 14:31   #60

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Duplicate. Oops. Erased. Sort of