Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
more or less. LEDs are far more robust & reliable than filament bulbs, so failures should be much less of an issue, that's the point in going "LED" in the first place. Until car manufacturers pull their fingers out & sort out the car side electrickery, we'll still have to resort to frigging & bodging. Ironically, it's the higher end marques that seem to have the biggest issues with LEDs.
So not wanting to sound an old fart it's not legal as a repeater warning buzzer/light should be on the dash to warn of failure.(insurance would be an issue for me with my luck)
Looked on a caravan forum same thing there apart from there is LEDs that are comparable with the cam bus problem not sure if that's correct but your right seems to be the vehicles with all the electronics.my shogan blew two brake light bulbs simultaneously back to the garage to reset it and remove a thousand warning lights off the dash
as for me I am bining the LEDs going back to the old board never had much problem with them anyway I carry a full light cluster and swap out takes only 5 mins if I get problems.
Cheers for the reply and info Dave

Jeff

Old 13 September 2015, 12:48   #122

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Jeff

Hi

The warning light to show the indicators are working does flash on the dash on my disco with the setup I've put together.
It amuses me every time as the symbol that flashes is a small Sankey like trailer.

Nasher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	108596  

Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 13:18   #123
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 2 x 115 Etecs/DF140a
MMSI: 235060745/235111389
RIBase
The warning light does work, Jeffs point (quite correct btw) is if the Led fails, the dash light will still flash because the electronics are seeing the resistor, not the led. So technically it could be construed as being illegal, as the dash light will be telling you that the bulb is good , when in fact it ain't. Like I said, the car manufacturers need to get their act together, it's only going to get worse.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2015, 14:13   #124

Just done a bit more digging indispention offer a box for 19 so sent a mail saying light board don't work do I need something else to see if they come back with the legal fix?
I will also ring tomorrow and post what they say
You guys have it sorted to suit you but it should be a lot easier than having to fit resistors in,the board I bought had no warning that it needed accessories or any explanation of any kind and asking the question in the first place has peeeed me off.

Cheers
Old 14 September 2015, 09:13   #125

update indispension don't know basically theirs is a three wire system so as Dave says covers the indicators i suspect only 18.85 part EL533 smart box.
towing and trailers better description 7 wire system 26.53 part ETR02 smart relay.

cheers
Old 14 September 2015, 20:53   #126

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Fancy Canbus module = thick end of 300
WHIT?

Man you need to swap that thing for a Mondeo!

Westfalia dedicated Can Kit for same - 70.
(there has to be a plus to driving urban camouflage! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
So if in parallel and the LED blows no warning on the dash as its bridged by the resistor
Now, this is where it gets weird.....
I have a "plate / reversing" light board on the A- frame. (simply down to the geometry of my trailer - no space on the permanent clusters without serious risk of destroying it on launch / garaging. - and It's legal - the Number plate just needs lit - no height restrictions on it ) It carries 2 standard plate illumination fittings with filament lamps - in parallel with the LED Tail lights. Why filament? 'coz I couldn't justify the cost of LEDS up there for something that is unlikely to see much abuse. (2 circuits to keep the L&R independence)

Also carries a high level LED brake light, so no filaments In the brake circuit.... and no disco brake lights either.
Old 15 September 2015, 05:42   #127
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
WHIT?

Man you need to swap that thing for a Mondeo!

Westfalia dedicated Can Kit for same - 70.
(there has to be a plus to driving urban camouflage! )
The irony is, the fancy module did bugger all. The issue was resolved, as normal, with 4 quids worth of resistors.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 15 September 2015, 08:16   #128

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
The irony is, the fancy module did bugger all. The issue was resolved, as normal, with 4 quids worth of resistors.
Which isn't entirely surprising -

The CAN module talks to the car. The CAN dside of it tells the car that there's a trailer connected (so the car's computers can switch off the rear park sensors, adjust the anti skid control / hill decent /etc and put a nice message on your dashboard display saying you have lost a bulb when it happens.....)

How the module can figure out if the trailer is connected or not and / or that a bulb has failed is the issue that your resistors fix.
Old 15 September 2015, 08:38   #129
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Which isn't entirely surprising -

The CAN module talks to the car. The CAN dside of it tells the car that there's a trailer connected (so the car's computers can switch off the rear park sensors, adjust the anti skid control / hill decent /etc and put a nice message on your dashboard display saying you have lost a bulb when it happens.....)

How the module can figure out if the trailer is connected or not and / or that a bulb has failed is the issue that your resistors fix.

Nope. With the module fitted & no resistors, the Disco just didn't recognise the trailer. The parking sensors still worked, you could select off road height without getting the warning message about there being a trailer attached, nada! As sip as I fitted the resistors, everything worked as it should. My previous home made led lightboard just had the resistors & no fancy module & it worked fine.

.....sh1t happens.......
Old 15 September 2015, 14:37   #130

Tech bloke from indispention rang today they don't have any bother with the shogan unless the tow bar fitters use their own repeater relay and not Mitsubishi guess what! Yea so back to old light board.