Old 11 December 2018, 17:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
Where does this info come from? I omlyvask cos my trailer (2015 Rollercoaster) came with side view running lights which (obviously) died the minute the thing went in the water. Been thinking I ought to fix them and try to make them as waterproof as poss, but maybe I don't need to bother?
I don't know for sure but I assume your trailer will be type approved so it may need them because of that, you would need to look into that.

SBS trailer has LED side markers and I've dunked them many times with no issues.

Info is from NTTA which basically comes from .gov
Old 11 December 2018, 19:17   #22

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I don't know for sure but I assume your trailer will be type approved so it may need them because of that, you would need to look into that.

SBS trailer has LED side markers and I've dunked them many times with no issues.

Info is from NTTA which basically comes from .gov
Yeah, I'd been assuming that it's like brakes: if the trailer has em then they ought to work. It's a right arse ache.
Old 11 December 2018, 19:41   #23

I guess it depends what risk you want to take, if any!

They are always pulling in lorries and trailers where I am so it isn't IF I get stopped, it is when. (Stopped on Monday for a winter check and HMRC done a diesel check for good measure on way to work)
Old 11 December 2018, 19:46   #24

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
I guess it depends what risk you want to take, if any!

They are always pulling in lorries and trailers where I am so it isn't IF I get stopped, it is when. (Stopped on Monday for a winter check and HMRC done a diesel check for good measure on way to work)

Wow, that's full on. Were you towing or were they stopping all passanger cars? I'm originally from near Cumbernauld and my folks still live there; I'm always telling the old man he's para about stuff like this but mebbe not!
Old 11 December 2018, 20:06   #25

I've been stopped 4x for diesel checks in last maybe 7-8 years, once it was a petrol car! Been stopped for tyre checks a few times too. When i say stopped the plod just stand in road and pick cars to get checked and wave you into a checkpoint.

The police regularly setup a checkpoint about 4 miles from my house, it is circa once every 30-60 days this last 18 months or so I see them on way to work. Sometimes it is trailers, sometimes it is lorries, sometimes cars etc, i guess it depends what stat they need to make up that week. I see HMRC there maybe every 3-6 months doing diesel checks along with them.

I know they setup a checkpoint at loch lomond about 3 years ago specifically for boat trailers, they were pulling people in at the launch ramp. I've been stopped up there too!
Old 11 December 2018, 20:16   #26

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
I've been stopped 4x for diesel checks in last maybe 7-8 years, once it was a petrol car! Been stopped for tyre checks a few times too. When i say stopped the plod just stand in road and pick cars to get checked and wave you into a checkpoint.

The police regularly setup a checkpoint about 4 miles from my house, it is circa once every 30-60 days this last 18 months or so I see them on way to work. Sometimes it is trailers, sometimes it is lorries, sometimes cars etc, i guess it depends what stat they need to make up that week. I see HMRC there maybe every 3-6 months doing diesel checks along with them.

I know they setup a checkpoint at loch lomond about 3 years ago specifically for boat trailers, they were pulling people in at the launch ramp. I've been stopped up there too for diesel and tyre check once and another time a tyre check on own.
the cops round your way must be on their game round here you never get stopped ive never been stopped for red diesel checks ive only been pulled in once that I can remember and that was for pressing the horn when I passed the cops I bullshited my way out of that one as I had dropped my phone and my shoulder hit the horn as I was trying to pick it up off the floor and didn't notice them
Old 11 December 2018, 20:43   #27

It is lazy policing imo, easier to stand in a road and stop vehicles going by that might have a tyre close to the edge than do some work. I assume they pull lorries in to check their hours?

Red diesel on west of Scotland must be a big problem, anyone want some!
Old 13 December 2018, 14:05   #28

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	127971
Extra cable now attached, soldered, individually heat shrunk then the whole lot heat shrunk and taped up.
Lights are IP68, tail, stop, indicator, fog and reverse light within the triangular shape which is also a reflector
Old 13 December 2018, 14:07   #29

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2631.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	127972

Plug in resistors as 1 of my cars lights up like a Xmas tree last time I put a LED tailboard on, tried this today and it works a treat [emoji108]
Old 13 December 2018, 21:41   #30

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Attachment 127972

Plug in resistors as 1 of my cars lights up like a Xmas tree last time I put a LED tailboard on, tried this today and it works a treat [emoji108]
what lights are they and where did you get em Craig
Old 13 December 2018, 21:54   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
what lights are they and where did you get em Craig

www.ventauk.com

RL300 range of lights
Old 14 December 2018, 00:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Lights are IP68, tail, stop, indicator, fog and reverse light within the triangular shape which is also a reflector

That should be number plate light and NOT reverse light [emoji849], I do not require a reverse light
Old 07 January 2019, 13:29   #33

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I've had a set of submersible LED on 2 "proper" wood mounts (along with the triangle reflectors) for about 3 years now - with (so far) no failures.

I also put a Jn box on the drawbar (again IPx6) with a couple of Bulgin "Buccaneer" skts - one 6 pin to feed the lighting board (on the A-frame with reverse & number plate lights) and a 2-pin to another Bulgin on the console to charge the boat battery en route to the slip.

Whole lot to the car via a 13 pin.

I got round the "failed LED" scenario by fitting std lights to the Short trailer board a bit like the "repeaters" you see on Lorries & busses up top. - that way if the LED fails, my "resistor" is an indicator bulb!

I posted the detail a while back - do a text search in this section for "manky plank"...
Old 25 January 2019, 11:07   #34

Well well well...as I was saying on page 3...diesel checks are rife round me...this is probably why and I assume been happening for a long time.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/po...h-stolen-fuel/

Have your trailer in legal condition round here or you may have a wee surprise when they dip your tank for good measure.