Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Martin View Post
I have had two Barbarians and the older shape... always towed with them never changed a clutch never a spanner in anger... [emoji817]... the MPG is great also .. 30-35 [emoji106]
That's one of the first things I notice when I got my Barbie more mpg [emoji106] [emoji1]
Old 04 December 2016, 11:57   #22

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
VW & L200 type trucks are OK for towing especially if you have the hill hold facility but they are quite long making reversing slightly more difficult looking over a pick up rear or through a truck back cover, the flat back of the SWB Landy is preferable
Old 04 December 2016, 12:20   #23

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Pig View Post
VW & L200 type trucks are OK for towing especially if you have the hill hold facility but they are quite long making reversing slightly more difficult looking over a pick up rear or through a truck back cover, the flat back of the SWB Landy is preferable
this is true I have a camera helps a bit . ranger has the turning circle of an oil tanker too
Old 04 December 2016, 12:59   #24

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
I had a 2009 shape L200 after I used to drive the older shape in Cyprus.

I found my one noisy, like an empty panel van, the back end was very light around corners in the wet and a had quite a few problems with it. The main dealer near me wasn't great at all

It was a good looking truck, the wishbone suspension on the rear had already been changed before I bought it. The guy I sold it to said that it needed a new clutch? The aircon had also been playing up.

It was nice that you could change from 2wd to 4wd. In the few months I owned it I didn't sell my Discovery 3 so I went back to that and ended up spending quite a bit on bushes and the air suspension, I also had a major service done, so the D3's a keeper for a while.

After my experience I wouldn't own another L200, I just like the discovery loads more.

Make sure you are happy with the turning circle of the L200 and also do a little research on the different models and levels of trim etc as some have really nice seats etc.
Old 04 December 2016, 16:38   #25

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
RIBase
The turning circle is now one of if not the best turning circles out of all the trucks also like all rear wheel drives if you go round a roundabout to fast in the wet it will slide. 🤔Newer models do now have traction control .

I used to own a discovery ....I wouldn't have another one 😉😆
Old 04 December 2016, 18:09   #26

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
We use pickups at work for our dive systems towing Ivor williams twin axel trailers, in Scotland we go seriously off road for long distances with no problems reversing never a problem using wing mirrors only, never driven the l200 but if it's lock is like my shogan not much will beat it. Discos are in a different category design, price wise and reliability is an issue with the pick up you just have to be sensible it's light in the rear yes but it designed to carry a load different animal then
Old 04 December 2016, 19:17   #27

Town: Telford
Make: Ribeye s650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200
Never owned a l200 but been in a few, currently have the new ranger and previously a Nivarra. They all have turning circles of trucks, are a bit of a hard ride, are a pain in the arse to park in any supermarket carpark and no where near as nice to drive as a decent 4x4. So unless their is a necessity to have one i.e. Tax benefit I wouldn't bother.
Old 04 December 2016, 19:51   #28

RIBase
That's because they are truck's at the end of the day Wreckindave 😉👍

BTW.....I quite like the new Ford Ranger [emoji106]
Old 04 December 2016, 20:32   #29

Town: Telford
Make: Ribeye s650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200
[QUOTE=kerny;736131]That's because they are truck's at the end of the day Wreckindave 😉👍

BTW.....I quite like the new Ford Ranger [emoji106][/QUOTE

Kind of like the fisher price of trucks😉

The Ranger is good , it's the 3.2 so it's got a bit of grunt but would still jump in the wife's Ford Focus to pop to the shops rather than the ranger. The only reason I've got the pickup is for towing and launching the boat. We launch off a very shallow beach so the pick up fits the bill, it gets wet!
You wouldn't want to buy a pick up that I've owned for three years and handed back to the lease company😳
Old 08 December 2016, 09:24   #30

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I use my Ranger for towing to the slip but to be honest I find the leaf-spring pickups have a very odd rear end ride which becomes much more noticeable with a heavy trailer on. The difference between the spring rate between front and rear becomes even more pronounced, and you get a really odd kicking motion over any larger bumps - the front end deflects, the back tries to but then as the leaf suspension hardens rapidly on deflection you get a kick which is then transmitted through to the trailer and the whole lot sort of feels like it does a see-saw in midair before settling (it doesn't of course but that is the sensation). The stability otherwise is good.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2016, 22:46   #31

Town: Kyles of Bute
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
this is true I have a camera helps a bit . ranger has the turning circle of an oil tanker too
Really!!

Ranger turning circle is less than the Amarok and only a bit more than the L200.I think its fine.
Old 09 December 2016, 05:28   #32

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
ahh but my ranger is the older 2007 year but id still rather this than an amarok
Old 09 December 2016, 15:50   #33
Dhf

Length: no boat
Lovely looking truck the L200 and the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had the misfortune to crash in due to losing the back end on black ice, I lost the back end about 80 yards before impact sliding sideways for about 60 yrd then the front end clipped the hedge which spun and rolled her round slamming the hedge full astern, I climbed out the windsceen after a local mechanic smashed it around the perimeter with a hammer, he had to drive quarter mile to get the hammer from his garage btw, I didn't have a scratch, bruise or whiplash but suspect that was just a lucky escape.
Totally wrecked the back box and my push along chariot mainly because the spare wheel wasn't staped down, tut-tut ! This was the 2.8 import btw which used to tow my old 6.5 meter rib with ease, never an issue with turning space IMHO, although always thought the seats were to low for full comfort, I drive a 3.2 Shogun now btw probably the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned, hopefully be towing another rib around with her next year. wouldn't hesitate getting another L200 though lovely vehicles, just a bit light on the back end lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L200 up the hedge.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	117379  
Old 09 December 2016, 17:32   #34

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
That's why I don't let you helm La Bamba ! Hooligan !
Old 09 December 2016, 18:18   #35

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhf View Post
Lovely looking truck the L200 and the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had the misfortune to crash in due to losing the back end on black ice, I lost the back end about 80 yards before impact sliding sideways for about 60 yrd then the front end clipped the hedge which spun and rolled her round slamming the hedge full astern, I climbed out the windsceen after a local mechanic smashed it around the perimeter with a hammer, he had to drive quarter mile to get the hammer from his garage btw, I didn't have a scratch, bruise or whiplash but suspect that was just a lucky escape.
Totally wrecked the back box and my push along chariot mainly because the spare wheel wasn't staped down, tut-tut ! This was the 2.8 import btw which used to tow my old 6.5 meter rib with ease, never an issue with turning space IMHO, although always thought the seats were to low for full comfort, I drive a 3.2 Shogun now btw probably the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned, hopefully be towing another rib around with her next year. wouldn't hesitate getting another L200 though lovely vehicles, just a bit light on the back end lol.
You were lucky for sure Dhf [emoji20] ....newer models have hight adjustable seats and as said earlier, traction control. 👍I like the Shogun and the Land Cruiser but wow they ain't cheap [emoji16] that's why I went for the L200.....you seem to get a lot for the money 👍
Old 09 December 2016, 20:50   #36
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
That's why I don't let you helm La Bamba ! Hooligan !

Hmm *Cough* Okay I've finished my tee so I shall reply now, Lol... But I've never hit a single rock or barnacle in any boat whilst at the helm Captain, never ! ever ! whereas.... I've wrote off three cars and one motorbike in my youth, and two 4x4s in later years, although I rebuilt one of those as it was only a series II offroader, so a bit like heavy duty meccano really lol.

I must admit I've been responsible for sinking two of my own vessels though whilst not even being onboard at the time, both my fault as I should have changed the rising chain on my 23ft wilson flyer's mooring before she broke free one stormy morning, she came to rest on a rocky shore at low tide, got holed and flooded with the incoming tide, recovered her on the next tide though totally stripped and rebuilt engine and fabricated hull, she was as good as new a few weeks later.

Then there's my old 14ft CJR, She filled with water over the stern and sank whilst still lashed to the pontoon, should've left her bows to seaward really but wasn't expecting an easterly blower that night, lol, another total engine rebuild and she was as good as new, both engines were washed and soaked in wd40 for 24 hrs before rebuild, good stuff but most electric components needed replacing.

So you're definitely wise to not trust me tethering her up at sea for the night, I've truly appreciated all your offers for me to helm the good La Bamba Captain, but I still maintain every vessel needs an Admiral to watch over the Captain.

Hope you're all keeping well my friend ! I look forward to seeing your return to the West when the weather warms up.

Very best regards
Paul.
Old 09 December 2016, 21:14   #37
Dhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
You were lucky for sure Dhf [emoji20] ....newer models have hight adjustable seats and as said earlier, traction control. 👍I like the Shogun and the Land Cruiser but wow they ain't cheap [emoji16] that's why I went for the L200.....you seem to get a lot for the money 👍

Very lucky tbh Steve
Yeah the L200 is a fine vehicle and I like the idea of the traction control and adjustable seats, Your Barbarian's a lovely looking truck btw, I'd happily get another one but I had a good deal on my Shogun tbh I bought it second hand from a garage in South Wales shortly after trashing my old L200. I just need another boat now, feels a bit embarrassing driving around without a RIB on the back.

Hope you're keeping well btw !
All the best Paul