Old 18 October 2016, 08:13   #11

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
tbh buddy it is a juggling act as i normally need to recover on my own. my wife can't drive and the rib is just big enough to be a pain to solo recover.

i keep saying i will get a leccy winch so my mrs can hook it on and press a button whilst i drive it on as far as possible.

with my back wheels of 4x4 touching water i can't drive the boat on to the snubber on 90% of slipways i use, i can only get about halfway and need to winch in the rest. my mrs can just about winch it in to the last 1ft at which point i can clamber over bow onto the trailer (it is quite high the old 6.8 at the bow)

i am out with last tango quite a lot and his is 10x easier than my own, also helps his mrs can drive it after he hooks it on.

Old 18 October 2016, 11:28   #12

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I noticed when I was into hard boats that the wider trailers that your laws allow meant that the boat chines could sit lower between the wheels whereas ours needed the boat to be set above the wheels. We have been given and extra 3 inches recently but "EU type approval" still has us using 1940's style rod operated drum brakes.
Not so much the trailer laws as how the hull is shaped, hard boat vs RIB.

Hard boats are narrower towards the keel, which allows them to sit down between the fenders or wheels (or both), with the keel/axle/crossmember interaction limiting how low you can go.

With a RIB, there is much less taper (i.e. the hull is a flatter form) as you move from the tube to the keel, which means the boat has to sit higher at the keel to allow the tubes to clear the wheels.

jky

Old 18 October 2016, 11:34   #13

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
Tubes clear the wheel? Not sure I follow, never seen rib tubes close to the wheels before? I am sure it is possible but I've not seen it personally.
Old 18 October 2016, 13:36   #14

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
With the 25 degree deep V hulls it's not an issue but when I had the SeaPro the mudguards/fenders was the limiting factor. I had basically set it up so as the tubes were only about an inch clear of the mudguards.
Could I have got away with it I'd rather have had it even lower.
Old 20 October 2016, 11:00   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
Tubes clear the wheel? Not sure I follow, never seen rib tubes close to the wheels before? I am sure it is possible but I've not seen it personally.
http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....3&d=1151960919

(first image in the Show us your Rig thread) Note how the tubes have to sit above the fenders.

Compare that to a similar sized hard boat (sorry, forgot how to inline the image, so see attachment):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesWWC7OSJG.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	116724  
Old 20 October 2016, 14:06   #16

Town: Denny
Boat name: Hebridean Storm
Make: Coastline
Engine: Honda 130hp
MMSI: 235107505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....3&d=1151960919

(first image in the Show us your Rig thread) Note how the tubes have to sit above the fenders.

Compare that to a similar sized hard boat (sorry, forgot how to inline the image, so see attachment):
Can't quite make out the photo but I'm guessing Bayliner.
Even that boat on a UK trailer probably wouldn't drop between the fenders.

I've been there, as I said my last RIB (Seapro 520), the mudguards were the limiting factor with the boat almost sitting on them.
As an "aside" I've always fitted mud flaps to my trailers, I have the fear of something sharp throwing up of a tyre and bursting a tube because I've seen the back underside of tubes covered in mud sprayed up off the wheels..