Old 19 April 2014, 17:29   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Is my trailer legal?

Hi All, I have gone down the trailer rout with my sib, I have bought a topper trailer (thats what the seller called it anyway) and modified it to fit my 3.8 mtr Humber sib.

So to my question; the trailer does not have a plate to say what load rating etc although it is a professionaly built one, it did have a plate at some point as I can see the 4 pop rivets, I am sure that I will not be overloaded even with the 25hp Mariner on it but is it a legal requirement to have a load rating plate attatched.

Old 19 April 2014, 18:29   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
If its unbraked its always been the case to have the max gross weight of the trailer painted / labeled on the nearside of the trailer somewhere or the modern type ones with the plate ,
old system was better before plated came out as you could just write on it to suit the " half the unladen "weight of the car to keep it all legal .
Old 19 April 2014, 18:34   #3
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
If its unbraked its always been the case to have the max gross weight of the trailer painted / labeled on the nearside of the trailer somewhere or the modern type ones with the plate ,
old system was better before plated came out as you could just write on it to suit the " half the unladen "weight of the car to keep it all legal .
Thanks for that, Yes it is unbraked, so if I paint say 350kg on it that makes it legal?
Old 19 April 2014, 18:35   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
1982 regs state that you must have gross weight on the trailer. That's all. Could be on a plate, could scrawled, by a three year old, on your axle... crazy really.

All new, unbraked, trailers manufactured since 1st Jan 1997 must show a year of manufacture.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 18:38   #5
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
1982 regs state that you must have gross weight on the trailer. That's all. Could be on a plate, could scrawled, by a three year old, on your axle... crazy really.

All new, unbraked, trailers manufactured since 1st Jan 1997 must show a year of manufacture.
Thanks for replying, how do I know year of manufacture or am I worrying too much and should just paint the weight on it?
Old 19 April 2014, 18:46   #6

Yup, I wouldn't sweat it too much, you're very unlikely to be pulled for not having a year of manufacture on there. As you say - who would know what it is anyway?

If you're particularly worried then you can buy plates and stamp them up yourself.

If I was you I'd concentrate on having the trailer road worthy (bearings, tyres and coupling all in gwo), lighting board working and paint the GVW on the n/s.
Old 19 April 2014, 18:52   #7
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Yup, I wouldn't sweat it too much, you're very unlikely to be pulled for not having a year of manufacture on there. As you say - who would know what it is anyway?

If you're particularly worried then you can buy plates and stamp them up yourself.

If I was you I'd concentrate on having the trailer road worthy (bearings, tyres and coupling all in gwo), lighting board working and paint the GVW on the n/s.
Thanks again, yes all new bearings, new 10" wheels, new 145 tyres, and new lighting board.

I am going to ask about prop bags next
Old 19 April 2014, 18:56   #8

Mandatory
Old 19 April 2014, 19:01   #9
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Mandatory
Just posted new thread asking, thanks again
Old 19 April 2014, 19:24   #10

Town: Plymouth
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
Thanks for that, Yes it is unbraked, so if I paint say 350kg on it that makes it legal?
Just make sure that the GVW you choose does not exceed your axle capacity (if you have one) and the combined capacity of your tyres.
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 19:38   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Boat Transport View Post
Just make sure that the GVW you choose does not exceed your axle capacity (if you have one) and the combined capacity of your tyres.
mmm, no problem with tyres rated 375kgs each, but not sure what rating the suspension units are attatched to the channel section, I think I will risk it at 350kgs would probably just sqeeze in with 250kgs but would be too close or even over weight I think with a bit of extra gear and fuel etc.