Click Here to Login

Old 28 June 2009, 20:22   #1

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
How to pack bearings with grease?

Hi,

I think it is about time I packed some more grease into my trailer bearings. I have a Degraaf trailer, with (I think) these hubs / suspension units:

http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/ap...5=SH002&slnk=1

There is a grease nipple, but no sign of a vent hole or similar. How can I tell when the hub is full? I don't want to blow the seal out the back.

Cheers

Chris
Old 29 June 2009, 08:25   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Is that just a dust cap on the end? If so, how about popping that off, and slopping grease in with a butter knife or something? (Can't tell where the grease nipple is from the pic, and not familiar with Indispension trailers.)

Alternatively, you could pull the hubs, clean and repack the roller assemblies, repack the hub, and put it all back together. Lot messier, though.

jky
Old 29 June 2009, 11:14   #3

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Theres normally a very small vent hole in the middle of the cap if using a grease nipple or spring pressure system ,the ones with the blank caps were for non nipples where you had to pack them by hand .it could be the wrong or universal pic they are using .does your hubs have taper adjustable or are they just ball. you could at one time get a d.i.y stub axel kit from indispension for that size utilising old rear wheel mini car hubs that just had plane balls and no nipples ,lol, you could get replacement taper ones if needed,you could always drill a small hole in the end cap though dont think the plastic ones cost too much .mart
Old 29 June 2009, 19:34   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The bearings are tapered rollers. Unfortunately the caps are a very tight interference fit, and it takes a fair effort to drift them off.

There do not appear to be any vent holes in my caps - maybe DeGraaf fitted the wrong ones.

I think my best option is probably to give DeGraaf a call and see what they say.

Cheers

Chris
Old 30 June 2009, 09:09   #5

Town: Dun Laoghaire
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

The bearings are tapered rollers. Unfortunately the caps are a very tight interference fit, and it takes a fair effort to drift them off.

There do not appear to be any vent holes in my caps - maybe DeGraaf fitted the wrong ones.

I think my best option is probably to give DeGraaf a call and see what they say.

Cheers

Chris
Suggest you just squirt in waterproof grease. It wont "blow off" your seals but may leak out there but shouldn't do any harm. Just wipe it off or it will be all over the wheels, tyres, mudguards and the bottom of yr boat! From my experience it may pop off yr hub caps but they just tap back in with a gentle tap.