Old 06 November 2013, 21:37   #21

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post

Both bearings had collapsed, the shoes were brand new, hence they don't look too bad I guess, but I agree, they were lucky it didn't catch light.
Good to see you took the split pin out. I bet the look on your face was a picture as 'it just came off in my hand' moment .:-)
Old 06 November 2013, 21:43   #22

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7

So ... bearing collapse .. long motorway run .. can you elaborate on the conditions before the failure TG ?
All of the above. Came up from South Devon IIRC. Bearing collapsed at the bottom of the A34. Would say the chap towing wasn't to blame as it had been serviced three days prior to the drive, ergo he'd be confident all was ok.

Single axle. Only 1500kg GVW. They were lucky as it could've turned out a lot worse.

Anyway, replaced the axle in-situ, with boat on, and towed it the rest of the way to their house for them, within a day. So all's well that ends well
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 21:45   #23

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman
I will admit to once overtightening a taper roller bearing on the front wheel of the Scimitar I owned at the time. The resultant heat destroyed the bearing cage & welded the inner rear race to the stub axle.
What fun that was to get off
Lol, that's about every fifth job I do - a bearing inner stuck on a stub axle! The amount I've had to cut off with a grinder, or shatter with a cold chisel, as even the big puller won't get them off.. Little buggers.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2013, 22:56   #24

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Thanks all. I'll keep an eye on it - that's what I was thinking, that the rumble should give it away before it goes into orbit (he said foolishly). I've yet to get it back in the garage and check both wheels to be sure, but if it seems OK now then I will just keep an eye on it. I've got a spare set of bearings already in drums to go on anyway, at which point the brakes might get upgraded to the same spec as my old boat trailer, which never gave any brake trouble at all

I never leave brakes on with any trailer (or any vehicle) - if I go away on holiday the vehicles will be left in gear with handbrake off. Any brake shoe/drum left in contact usually freezes on after a while.

The persistent sticky brake is, I think, down to a mixture of a sticky cable and the fact that due to circumstances and location, the brakes get flushed and then it sits for a bit and goes in the garage, without having the benefit of a good run to dry out. The upgrade will sort that out too

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2013, 23:01   #25

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Well, having now checked the bearings with the wheels jacked up, both sides are perfect, which is good after 3 years use. I'm starting to be less uncomfortable about sealed wheel bearings.

Any cunning tips for getting oil or other lube into a sticky brake cable without disassembly? I've previously tried dribbling oil on to it with the brake applied and then releasing it, but it doesn't go in far enough to do anything useful.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2013, 08:18   #26

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ahh! Well, knock that chip off your shoulder young sir, you see slights at every turn I was using "Mainland" in the Falklands-British Isles context. If I'd said UK, that would have implied that the Falklands aren't part of the UK, which they very much are & I hope remain so. If I'd said England, I'd have had the Sweatys & Sheep worriers on my case, so here's me thinking that "Mainland" was a pretty safe bet & up pop the Spuddies, I can't win This Polytickley correct business is a bloody minefield
Pikey,

You could have used "Britain" ???