RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That's gone straight over mon tete
Sorry, I was just enjoying the "mainland" thing. We get a little exercised over here when we hear it in reference to the larger island to our east :-p

Old 06 November 2013, 10:27   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Sorry, I was just enjoying the "mainland" thing. We get a little exercised over here when we hear it in reference to the larger island to our east :-p
Ahh! Well, knock that chip off your shoulder young sir, you see slights at every turn I was using "Mainland" in the Falklands-British Isles context. If I'd said UK, that would have implied that the Falklands aren't part of the UK, which they very much are & I hope remain so. If I'd said England, I'd have had the Sweatys & Sheep worriers on my case, so here's me thinking that "Mainland" was a pretty safe bet & up pop the Spuddies, I can't win This Polytickley correct business is a bloody minefield
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 10:47   #13

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
To answer the thread question: quite a lot!

I had to do an axle change recently, as the bearings had got so hot they'd generated enough heat to adhere the castellated nut to the stub axle. Haven't seen anything like it in twenty years I've been servicing trailers.

When I went to undo the castellated nut (with just a 12" adjustable) the end of the stub axle came clean off in the castellated nut. You can see what's left of the outer bearing case and the threaded portion of the stub axle still in the castellated nut...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	658.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	87164   Click image for larger version

Name:	660.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	87165   Click image for larger version

Name:	659.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	87166   Click image for larger version

Name:	661.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	87167  
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 10:50   #14
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ahh! Well, knock that chip off your shoulder young sir, you see slights at every turn I was using "Mainland" in the Falklands-British Isles context. If I'd said UK, that would have implied that the Falklands aren't part of the UK, which they very much are & I hope remain so. If I'd said England, I'd have had the Sweatys & Sheep worriers on my case, so here's me thinking that "Mainland" was a pretty safe bet & up pop the Spuddies, I can't win This Polytickley correct business is a bloody minefield
No chip here - I just enjoy seeing the mind at work in the word

You Yorkies appear to be able to stretch the term "mainland" as far as you can stretch a pound. You could have said UK as the Falklands are a British Overseas Territory. "Mainland" would suggest the nearest major landmass.....

Old 06 November 2013, 11:38   #15

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Ok not exactly an overheated wheel bearing but once saw a hard boat being towed down the A1 in North yorks that came past me about 65 mph with the jocky wheel on fire : 0
Old 06 November 2013, 12:58   #16

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
To answer the thread question: quite a lot!

I had to do an axle change recently, as the bearings had got so hot they'd generated enough heat to adhere the castellated nut to the stub axle. Haven't seen anything like it in twenty years I've been servicing trailers.

When I went to undo the castellated nut (with just a 12" adjustable) the end of the stub axle came clean off in the castellated nut. You can see what's left of the outer bearing case and the threaded portion of the stub axle still in the castellated nut...
Its a wonder there wasnt a fire there .. doesent look right ? Never seen that meself and I run 8 plant trailers commercially as well as me boat.How would just the outer end get that hot, and the rest of the backplate and shoes not get fried ? ..weird
Old 06 November 2013, 12:58   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
No chip here - I just enjoy seeing the mind at work in the word

You Yorkies appear to be able to stretch the term "mainland" as far as you can stretch a pound. You could have said UK as the Falklands are a British Overseas Territory. "Mainland" would suggest the nearest major landmass.....

Get away wid yiz, we all know that anything outside Yorkshire is "Foreign"
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 13:23   #18

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7

Its a wonder there wasnt a fire there .. doesent look right ? Never seen that meself and I run 8 plant trailers commercially as well as me boat.How would just the outer end get that hot, and the rest of the backplate and shoes not get fried ? ..weird
Both bearings had collapsed, the shoes were brand new, hence they don't look too bad I guess, but I agree, they were lucky it didn't catch light.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 November 2013, 14:41   #19

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I will admit to once overtightening a taper roller bearing on the front wheel of the Scimitar I owned at the time. The resultant heat destroyed the bearing cage & welded the inner rear race to the stub axle.
What fun that was to get off
Old 06 November 2013, 17:23   #20

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Both bearings had collapsed, the shoes were brand new, hence they don't look too bad I guess, but I agree, they were lucky it didn't catch light.
So ... bearing collapse .. long motorway run .. no breaking .. probably a big SUV (as they didnt hear the rumble.. presumably ? ) and heavy boat on a single axle trailer? or double TG ? I see the bearing on the mud guard of the left wheel

The heat is evident from the grease loss from the inner race.. over the shoes.

With that heat on the outers.. the hub cap would have melted if it was plastic and thrown grease all over the rim hastening the demise

the inner stub is still wet with grease but the outer is dry and indeed rusted, so the heat was intense indeed

Over torque quite possible, the washer on the other side of the castellated nut shows signs of rotation, which provides more friction, once the grease has gone and generates heat, if the bearing got dry and bobs your aunti .. can you elaborate on the conditions before the failure TG ?