Old 22 March 2011, 10:16   #1

Town: Tenby
Boat name: O.C.D.
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 100
Has Anyone Completed the Towing Test?

Hi,

I have my trailer towing test tomorrow and im curious to know just how intense it is. I have been towing various boats and things for 10years (all under the 750kg limit, just).

I have been on the DVLA website but im just wandering if im going to fail for not having my hands at the 10 & 3 position. That sorta thing.

Has anyone done the test?
Old 22 March 2011, 10:33   #2

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
I took it last year, and it's just the same as a normal test, just with a trailer. Hands, shuffle steering, using all the mirrors etc.

One minor I got picked up on was I didnt follow through to check the cyclist i had passed was still alive after i had passed him.
Old 22 March 2011, 12:33   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It will be interesting to see what you report back - I'm assuming from your question that you've not had any extra instruction/tuition specially for the test?
Old 22 March 2011, 17:48   #4

ive got 2 hours of tuition then straight into the exam, so nope not done anything in preparation.

Hopefully i will be fine, the route i normally tow is through an old town with small roads and lots of holiday makers walking everywhere and i havent killed anyone yet, though ive been tempteda few times.
Old 23 March 2011, 17:53   #5

Test Completed

Well, done the test, and passed, a few minors not too many though.

The test itself involves reversing a trailer across a few lanes and into a garage (done off the road and marked out with cones). Then its an unhitch and rehitch. Check load is secure and onto the road, taking care to leave more time to slow down and becareful driving around town.

Apologies to anyone in Haverfordwest stuck behind a trailer sticking stringently to the speed limit.
Old 23 March 2011, 18:38   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Well done fella, should really get round to doing mine.
Old 23 March 2011, 20:23   #7

cheers.

It was interesting to ask the driving instructor what without the extra test i could tow and he gave me yet another different answer. He said max car & trailer of 2 tonne, my car weights 2.1 tonne so he said i shouldnt be towing much at all. Whether that was a job securing answer i dont know.

So i dont think anyone knows exactly what you can and can't tow on a standard post '97 license.

Anyone with out the extra test and towing on a post '97 license is either going to be a good blagger or hope the police don't interpret the laws in their own way.
Old 23 March 2011, 20:36   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_dash View Post
cheers.

It was interesting to ask the driving instructor what without the extra test i could tow and he gave me yet another different answer. He said max car & trailer of 2 tonne, my car weights 2.1 tonne so he said i shouldnt be towing much at all. Whether that was a job securing answer i dont know.

So i dont think anyone knows exactly what you can and can't tow on a standard post '97 license.

Anyone with out the extra test and towing on a post '97 license is either going to be a good blagger or hope the police don't interpret the laws in their own way.
Its actually quite clear in the pdf that NOS linked to the other day - you might get away with more because the police don't understand the law, but you might not. You might find police don't understand the law and you get your time wasted for a while - but what Nos posted (and Xk59D referred to the same from his discussion with DVLA) is the law and what the courts will apply.
Old 24 March 2011, 08:25   #9

congrats on test-how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

no wonder there is confusion when even the DVLA appointed instructors give you poor info!

cheers
Old 24 March 2011, 10:18   #10

It was £195 for 2hours of instruction & the test, not exactly cheap but its something you hopefully only need to do once.

The instructor asked if id done much towing before and basically said if you can reverse a boat down onto and down a slip way the manuevering part should be fine. So im guessing most on here should be fine at it.
Old 24 March 2011, 22:08   #11

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_dash View Post
Well, done the test, and passed, a few minors not too many though.

The test itself involves reversing a trailer across a few lanes and into a garage (done off the road and marked out with cones).
Reminds me when i took my HGV test in 1977 ,,finished up i knocked every cone over but one ,
When the examiner climbed out he stood on it rolled over and discolated his ankle,,yes i failed ,,lol

Well done and Congratulations in passing your test