Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Suppose it depends how often you launch and if its fresh or salt water
Will be doing mine twice a year just to keep up to it at least
twice a year!?!?
I launch in salt water maybe 35 times a year, fresh about 15x a year. I give mine a shot of fresh grease every 6 months of so. And have repacked exactly once in 6 years. The bearings and races were immaculate so I reused them.

In the OP's case I would strip everything down since you don't know the history. Get some bearing savers. Regrease, careful to not overfill and rupture the rear seals. Then repack every winter in the off season - at most.
Old 05 February 2013, 20:40   #22

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
ha!

Th original owner just replied to my PM. The covers will come off with some gentle 'persuasion' and there's a grease nipple underneath. I guess it's out with the rubber hammer.

Thanks for all the advice though. And yes, I intend to sort the brakes.

I dunno why I'm fretting so much. I've overhauled drum brakes on two separate cars and replaced the wheel bearing on one. I suppose it's because the love of my life is on it...
Old 06 February 2013, 15:45   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
A short piece of 2x4 and a mallet will transmit power more effectively than a rubber mallet; just use gentle taps and change the angle, increasing power until it starts moving.

jky
Old 02 April 2013, 09:06   #24

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Boing!

Looks like the way to get the plastic domes off is to tow it back from Scotland with a slightly dragging brake. The heat melts the grease sticking it on and 'hey presto', off it comes.

So I do have bearing savers fitted. Is it a case of just firing grease into the middle of these things and that puts enough the pressure in them or do you need to release the spring in some way before you put the grease in?

Going to go up next time the temp gets to double digits and overhaul the brakes. Speaking of which: where's the best place online for trailer spares?
Old 02 April 2013, 09:32   #25

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post

So I do have bearing savers fitted. Is it a case of just firing grease into the middle of these things and that puts enough the pressure in them or do you need to release the spring in some way before you put the grease in?
Just fire the grease in, the grease will push the spring out; mine also has a nipple on the side of the hub so this gets a squirt too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
Going to go up next time the temp gets to double digits and overhaul the brakes. Speaking of which: where's the best place online for trailer spares?
I believe a certain TG will be along with an offer in the very near future for this exact purpose

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2013, 23:13   #26

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Am I that predictable?! lol, I guess I am.

Yes, you have bearing savers fitted - in the middle of that cylinder is a grease nipple - pump some grease in, through that, and the spring assisted disc should start moving to the outer edge of the bearing saver.

However, yours look a tad rusty, so if doesn't move your spring may be rusted and seized. If you're mechanically minded they're' not too difficult to strip down, clean up and reassemble.

If you're not that way inclined, spend £25 on a new pair.

Here's a cut-away showing the inner workings:

As for spares - happy to oblige, or just do a Google search and the usual suspects will appear

All the best.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote