Old 05 June 2012, 12:26   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I tried greasing the steering on my Yam with a brand new grease gun and ut snapped the nipple straight off.

Old 05 June 2012, 12:36   #12

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Just remove the threaded portion out of your hub and take it to an auto parts store. Then get some beefier looking ones with the same threading. (or take one of the spares being sent). They are typically just chromated steel (golden color) and you can look at how thick the neck is to gauge how robust they will be.

Old 11 July 2012, 08:18   #13

Town: Edinburgh
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90 Optimax
Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireetim View Post
Hi, I've just bought a grease gun and tried to grease the bearings on my boat trailer (indespension). When I removed the grease gun the nipple snapped off. Having never used a grease gun before I rang the dealer to check I was doing it right (just push on, pull off with the grease gun). Anyway, I got a spare nipple from my spare set of bearing and just tried again but this time was super careful and even loosened the grease gun end (making it really easy to pull off) before removing it from the nipple to ensure the same thing didn't happen. It did ! Can anyone help please, this can't be normal. I must be doing something wrong. The nipples seem to be made of a really soft metal but even so .... I'm now left with one ungreased bearing and two unuseable spare hubs until I can find some more replacement nipples.
Thanks.
Tim.
Hi tim

I have also got the same problem just out of interest what trailer do you have?

Cheers
Chris
Old 11 July 2012, 13:34   #14

Town: Isle of Tiree
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F50
I think it's a coaster swing or similar. GVW 750Kgs. I rang everyone and even indespension who told me I needed some imperial size which I bought but didn't fit. In the end they turned out to be M6. I got some of these : Grease Nipple Fitting M6 x 1 Straight (10) - UK Made | eBay

So far so good, the fit perfectly and don't seem to snap like the originals. I think they are just very poor quality as so far all 4 original ones have snapped first time I used them (dealer sent me a couple of replacements that did the same).
Also, the bearing seem to need grease every time you launch as every time I re-grease a fair amount of water comes out the tiny hole in the centre of the bearing cap before grease comes through.
Hope that helps !
Tim.
Old 11 July 2012, 14:56   #15

Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireetim View Post
Also, the bearing seem to need grease every time you launch as every time I re-grease a fair amount of water comes out the tiny hole in the centre of the bearing cap before grease comes through.
Hope that helps !
Tim.
Yikes? If water was coming out of my bearings I would tear them down and rebuild them with new seals. Carefully inspecting the bearings and races after cleaning.

I was taught the best time to grease is right before you launch if you have trailered a fair distance heating up the bearings. What happens is the water cools them hubs and they suck water in.
Old 11 July 2012, 16:31   #16
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I tried greasing the steering on my Yam with a brand new grease gun and ut snapped the nipple straight off.
I've done the same on my Yam on the original nipples with a new gun.They seem to be an odd, quite weak alloy.
However,they unscrew easily when snapped.

No problems with the replacements though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote