Old 05 February 2013, 17:24   #1

Town: lincolnshire
Make: prowave 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: 15hp 4st / 6hp 4st
fixing a lighting board

Anyone got any pics of how you fix your lighting board to your trailer , I thought I had it sorted by making a couple of brackets that slip on transom and are held down with bungees .but I have read on here that that is illegal to have it on your load it must be fitted to the trailer ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 05 February 2013, 18:55   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I wouldn't worry. That doesn't look any higher than the rear lights on a Discovery.
Old 05 February 2013, 19:07   #3

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by millplus View Post
but I have read on here that that is illegal to have it on your load it must be fitted to the trailer ,,,,,,,,,,,,
but read further and you'll see that it was rightly pointed out that that would make all of the dinghys, towed on the road, illegal...

The facts here: The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

I'll have a look for anything else for you.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2013, 19:42   #4

Length: 3m +
The law says... the lights shall be attached to the trailer. It doesn't say shall not be attached to the load.

HOWEVER, you are using a projecting load (section 21 of the regs that Trailer Guy refers to). Part 6 of S21 says you will move a light if it is obscured by the projecting load. So that is the basis of boat trailers using a moveable lighting board.

Is the No Plate legal - thats much more likely to get you pulled over. Not sure skull and cross bones are legal! I believe a Scottish Saltire isn't either...

The lights may be too close the the centre? >400mm from the edge?
Old 05 February 2013, 19:54   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
The law says... the lights shall be attached to the trailer. It doesn't say shall not be attached to the load.

HOWEVER, you are using a projecting load (section 21 of the regs that Trailer Guy refers to). Part 6 of S21 says you will move a light if it is obscured by the projecting load. So that is the basis of boat trailers using a moveable lighting board.
Actually is says A vehicle which carries a load or equipment which obscures any obligatory lamp, reflector or rear marking. the obligatory lamp, reflector or rear marking shall be transferred to a position on the vehicle, load or equipment where it is not obscured; [or fit an extra lamp etc].

Putting it on the A-frame however may be illegal as there is a Height Restriction.

Quote:
Is the No Plate legal - thats much more likely to get you pulled over. Not sure skull and cross bones are legal! I believe a Scottish Saltire isn't either...
Legal within the UK but does not exempt you from a GB badge in Europe. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2009

Skull and Cross bones not covered by that rule though!
Old 05 February 2013, 20:25   #6

The full law here: The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

I've not found anything relating to height, as ShinyShoe says, however, I've seen lots of mentions of a max height of 1.5m (a few councils and RYA have said this), as mentioned here:

http://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollection...EGULATIONS.pdf

See page 12
Old 05 February 2013, 20:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
I've not found anything relating to height, as ShinyShoe says, however, I've seen lots of mentions of a max height of 1.5m (a few councils and RYA have said this)
Schedule 10 - Part 1 Para 2(c)

But I think you could reasonably argue that placing it lower (i.e. between the toob ends) would obscure its view from a number of angles and placing it lower is not practical for the trailer design so you have up to 2.1m.

I'd be surprised if that board was >1.5m anyway.
Old 05 February 2013, 20:49   #8

Agreed. I read that 2.1m height thing too. It seems odd that they stipulate a height, but then sort of say, "but if it's not practical, then don't worry, 2.1m is fine"

The trouble is, if you had a particularly grumpy officer of the law, they may argue the siting and it's practicality. And we all know the old adage - the interpretation of the law is down to the individual court!
Old 05 February 2013, 22:32   #9

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Minimum height off the road for the board /lights , indicators, reflectors is 350 mm also applies to the (side on )amber reflectors .
Old 05 February 2013, 23:32   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Agreed. I read that 2.1m height thing too. It seems odd that they stipulate a height, but then sort of say, "but if it's not practical, then don't worry, 2.1m is fine"

The trouble is, if you had a particularly grumpy officer of the law, they may argue the siting and it's practicality. And we all know the old adage - the interpretation of the law is down to the individual court!
MAX HEIGHTS:

1.5m (or 2.1 m absolute max) for Tail / Stop lights
1.5m (or 2.3 m absolute max) for Indicators
1.0m for Fog Lights [not required if trailer in <1.3m]
0.9m (or 1.2 m absolute max) for rear reflectors
0.9m (or 1.5 m absolute max) for front reflectors

As mchappelow says there are minimum heights too.

Nobody here has ever reported these rules being rigorously enforced, but your view on risk might depend on the impact of (another) 3 points...
Old 06 February 2013, 09:39   #11

Cheers for that Poly. I've those too, from E/ECE/324 Reg 48 rev 5, min is 250mm on rear lights and triangles.

Still seems a bit vague, the 1.5m, but 2.1 is ok too. I guess the thing that will bugger up most people who put a lighting board on the a-frame, is the triangle and fog light heights.
Old 09 February 2013, 18:58   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'd be as, if not more concerned about strapping over the tubes, if - the picture's how you secure the boat for trailing not the best method for safety or the tubes.

I have runners that slide out of the box section at the rear of the trailer & the baord goes on those - also ensures the board is not obsured by any overhang, and is behind the engine & prop.