Old 23 July 2014, 18:44   #1

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
European Breakdown & Recovery : the small print

For those who have read my post asking for feedback on a new trailer, you will know I had a trailer breakdown in Italy.
Aside from the issues of trying to get recovered from a toll road, what transpired was a number of warm and worrying conversations about potential repatriation to the UK if, in the event, the trailer could not be repaired. As it happens, repairs were sufficient to get me safely home , albeit after a 5 day delay.
I was covered by Britannia Rescue under their Deluxe cover which covers trailers to 8m ,,, even if it is the trailer that breaks down and not the car.
THE RUB ,,,,, in assessing the recovery to home or destination service, they will ascertain the cost of repatriation and then , if the cost is more than the value of the trailer (as determined by them) they will not proceed - but this valuation dies NOT cover the load ,,, ie the boat.
Ok if it's a caravan but not a boat trailer. A good explanation I received today was to liken a boat trailer to a horsebox; the valuation will be for the horsebox but not the horse.
So, faced with a 1000 mile flatbed recovery of my boat /trailer they would most likely paid me out the value of the trailer ( 8,year old snipe ,,, £1000 ?) and baby would be left disabled in Italy.
I would have found a way myself ,, either return and bring necessary pats or 'find a friend ' with a suitable flatbed transporter and di the 3000 mile trip, tolls and ferry charges to boot.
SO ,,, in my view, this cover is fine for UK or probably northern France, but pointless any further.
Worth checking your own cover but I believe the same clause and limits apply with others.
Anyone have any ideas or real life experience of a more suitable provider ?