Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 May 2013, 15:03   #21
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by solent spence View Post
The mercury manual shows these outboard trailer bars with a v for the gear case to rest in but I haven't found where to buy one in the uk. Seems like a good idea to stop the engine bouncing when towed. In fact the manual states you should not rely on the small tilt lock and rams when towing.

Who sells them in the uk I wonder??
My manual states trailer your outboard in a vertical position if not enough road clearance , tilt the outboard as needed with an accessory trailering bracket.

Like you say difficult to find one of these in the U.K.
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 15:12   #22
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Like you say difficult to find one of these in the U.K.
There may be a reason why.

Bump ... Who's had a problem towing without wood, transom saver or with the engine right, left, central, up, down ...
__________________

__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 15:56   #23
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
There may be a reason why.
Same reason we almost never see A frames over here. They're both just bling
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 16:29   #24
Member
 
Dan Gurney's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bingley, West Yorks
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Same reason we almost never see A frames over here. They're both just bling
Where'd you put your nav lights if you've no A frame?
__________________
Dan Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 16:31   #25
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
I would expect the various twisting moments to be minimised by having the engine down, but with the heaviest part being so close to the axis it rotates about, I'm not convinced it makes a great deal of difference from a structural point of view.

The leg will exert various twisting moments, but assuming it weighs much less than the engine block and guessing that its centre of mass is between a quarter and a third of the way up, is it going to make much difference? I suspect not enough to worry about it.

If the whole engine was of a uniform density, the answer would clearly be to tow with it down, but they're not, so it isn't (necessarily).

I suspect more practical concerns are more important: if the engine's down, it might be too close to the road, if it's up it might be resting on a tilt lock that might not be quite strong enough, or a piece of wood that's not always that reliable (one of our old, unassisted manual-tilt 40hp two-strokes chewed through a chock a couple of years ago, and that was just crossing the road on a trolley).
James, you've answered your own question here, or addressed your own issue.
The engine is not of uniform density and if it is down and hanging off the back on a trailer it's moment is way up high and way over the back of the transom.
If it is raised it's mass is directly over the transom.
Bear in mind that this is without power and with the trailer bouncing.
Engine is best placed in a balanced state tilted with its weight directly above the transom, not hanging off the back.
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 17:36   #26
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
Where'd you put your nav lights if you've no A frame?
My red/green lights are mounted on the bow, white all-around on a removable pole. I almost never see A frames over here.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 17:46   #27
Member
 
mister p's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
My red/green lights are mounted on the bow, white all-around on a removable pole. I almost never see A frames over here.
That's because they haven't any lights on!
__________________
mister p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 18:39   #28
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister p View Post
That's because they haven't any lights on!
True dat! We don't run around in the dark. I'm further north of you and in the summer there's no shortage of daylight, over 18hrs/day.
__________________
captnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2013, 20:22   #29
Member
 
JamesF's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sidmouth
Boat name: Various
Make: Avon, Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40, Honda 50
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 249
Quote:
James, you've answered your own question here, or addressed your own issue.
Have I ?

Quote:
Engine is best placed in a balanced state
I think what I was trying to say was that it's never in a particularly balanced state, and the unbalancedness isn't all that dissimilar one way or the other, or doesn't feel it when I lift our engines. It seems to take about as much effort to hold a fully tilted engine up as it does to lift it when it's down.

I hope I'm not missing the point and doing this instead:

My experience of towing is pretty limited, but I think, like you, I'd have it tilted and supported, but more to keep the prop away from the road than anything else. I'd be perfectly happy with it down as well, if it were properly supported and comfortably clear of the ground.

Quote:
I towed over 550 miles last week with a 40HP 2S supported in the raised position with a piece of 2 x 2 wood. Perhaps I was taking a big risk doing that
Our bit of wood may have been affected by age and moisture after a couple of seasons on the boat . It was about 4" x 2", but carved to fit snugly, with a dowel "handle" glued on one end.
__________________
JamesF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2013, 04:10   #30
Member
 
kubcat's Avatar
 
Country: Australia
Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 470
I prefer down if there is enough clearance but often there isn't. The reason is when I follow boats at speed I see that those outboards that are unsupported and tilted tend to rock a lot more than those that are down all the way. This forward rear rocking cannot be good for the transom, I am thinking that over time it may lead to transom fatigue.
__________________

__________________
kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.