Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 18 February 2011, 11:51   #1

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Length: 5m +
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Electric winch for winching trailer up the slip!

Hi guys.. I know there are a few threads on winches etc but I said I'd start a newer Up to date one, just wondering has anyone got a electric winch for the towbar to pull the boa and trailer up the slipway? I see a few on the Market with a little mount plate that you can slip over the tow ball, plug into the 12v socket and winch it up.. Does anyone have actually use this system or any other suggestions? The slip way is about 40ft to the water edge at high tide..
Cheers..
Old 19 February 2011, 19:13   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
I have a suggestion which is a general rule rather than about any one product: if you want to pull something 40ft, go for a capacity of 2 or 3 times what you think the max load will be.

Check out www.goodwinch.com for their towball winch, I've not used one but it would probably be a good bet as David's stuff is usually decent and does what it says it will. The 99p on Ebay specials are probably worth every penny...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2011, 21:10   #3

Ah that's fantastic, just checked out that site and it looks exactly what I'm looking for.. They have a winch in a box complete with all the attachments for the towball ready to go!
Good advice on the weight too, I had a similar figure or 2 to 3 times in my mind too.. Ts a safer bet too getting the next size up..
Thanks again 
Old 19 February 2011, 23:44   #4

Talk to David (owner of Goodwinch) about the weight of the boat, gradient and distance before you order it - he's been winching stuff around for decades so will have a pretty good idea whether it will do the job or not.

Old 20 February 2011, 21:27   #5

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Alternatively attach a Passat 4motion our Audi quattro to the towbar. Galvanised chassis. 4 wheel drive.

Lack decent ground clearance but tow well, economical and never struggle with grip...
Old 20 February 2011, 23:39   #6

Not seen too many vehicles with galvanised brakes though...

Old 21 February 2011, 07:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Alternatively attach a Passat 4motion our Audi quattro to the towbar. Galvanised chassis. 4 wheel drive.

Lack decent ground clearance but tow well, economical and never struggle with grip...
I've got an awd diesel Subaru legacy, she'll tow 2 ton no probs and she's very economical.. But it's just with no low box in it, it's a lot of pressure on the clutch moving off on a slip way with a ton behind you.. The slipway that I use seems to be a little steeper than most others around..hence I thought the winch job would save some hassle( and maybe the cost of a new clutch!) 
Old 11 January 2012, 09:48   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to passbhoy
we are looking an electric winch to attach to the boat trailer for towing a 6.8m rib on to the trailer. the boat weighs 2200kg. any suggestions???
Old 11 January 2012, 11:40   #9

Town: Breda
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Evinrude 250 DI
I use the Power Winch 712 every weekend and for many years. Never had any problem. Had to make some alterations to the trailer and car for the power suply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	64880  
Old 11 January 2012, 11:42   #10

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha580 View Post
I've got an awd diesel Subaru legacy, she'll tow 2 ton no probs and she's very economical.. But it's just with no low box in it, it's a lot of pressure on the clutch moving off on a slip way with a ton behind you.. The slipway that I use seems to be a little steeper than most others around..hence I thought the winch job would save some hassle( and maybe the cost of a new clutch!) 

keep an eye on the clutch, I have one and it needed a new clutch* at 30,000 miles and I was not towing a boat at that stage. seems to be a lot of issues with them but great car otherwise!

*done under warranty
Old 11 January 2012, 12:24   #11

thanks for that, powerwinch looks good, i like the RC30 ! are they expensive???
Old 11 January 2012, 15:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by passbhoy View Post
thanks for that, powerwinch looks good, i like the RC30 ! are they expensive???
Yes Power Winches are expensive but the only good ones. The cheap lookalikes are no good at all.
My advise: get one with a strap instead of a cable. The cable doesn't wind up that nice and gets stuck when you try to get is out of the winch.
Connect the electric wire directly to the battery of the car and use the wire and fuse that come with it. It takes an awful lot of current and cigaret lighters with their thin wires are no use.
Old 11 January 2012, 15:30   #13

Power Winch sells bolts to get the winch on and off the trailer. Here's a pic to show the modifications of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	64885  
Old 11 January 2012, 17:11   #14

Cheers guys ! Do you know any dealers in the UK where we could get one ???
Old 11 January 2012, 18:55   #15

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I would suggest fitting some Anderson connecters either at front or back of car with an isolation switch with some decent cable as well if you go on to a 4x4 site you can get the cables made up when you have worked the length out the winch works best on the 1 st couple of runs on the drum
Old 14 January 2012, 12:38   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post

+1 (Audi B5 2.5 TDI quattro sport avant) aka Amtrak locomotive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Not seen too many vehicles with galvanised brakes though...
Don't dip em in the briney! If it's a shallow gradient, I usually unhitch and rope in... however I'm only launching a 4.8m!
Old 14 January 2012, 13:36   #17

Hey guys haven't been on in a while.. But further to this discussion about the winches.. Goodwinch do a decent system.. The website is pretty good there too.. I'm trying to ship one to Ireland but it should work out much cheaper for you guys in the UK!
Old 16 March 2014, 11:37   #18

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Engine: Evinrude
Hi,
I am thinking of getting a 12v electric winch to pull the boat back on to the trailer. I have seen that many types and read so much about the good and bad it seems to be a mine field!
I have a 6.5 mtr Humber destroyer with a 150 on the back to pull on to a roller trailer, am I right in thinking if I get a powerful winch because it is only pulling say a third of its capacity it will pull the boat up at a reasonable speed and not buckle the battery plates or do I just need a 2000Kg winch?

Oh as any one seen these on eBay 130873606004 they also do one with a compressor instead or is this going way overboard.
Old 16 March 2014, 13:42   #19

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaflyer02 View Post
Hi,
I am thinking of getting a 12v electric winch to pull the boat back on to the trailer. I have seen that many types and read so much about the good and bad it seems to be a mine field!
I have a 6.5 mtr Humber destroyer with a 150 on the back to pull on to a roller trailer, am I right in thinking if I get a powerful winch because it is only pulling say a third of its capacity it will pull the boat up at a reasonable speed and not buckle the battery plates or do I just need a 2000Kg winch?

Oh as any one seen these on eBay 130873606004 they also do one with a compressor instead or is this going way overboard.
if I was you I'd spend my money making sure all the rollers etc and manual winch are working properly, electric winches don't like salty water unless you are willing to spend more dosh and go for the supposed waterproof winches, like the goldfish, but then you still need to get a reliable 12v supply to the winch will be able to cope with the winch loads, I'd be keeping it simple, we can manage our 23ft rib with a 150 Honda with a manual winch when we need to
Old 16 March 2014, 17:27   #20

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Make: Humber
Engine: Evinrude
I am usually all for keeping it simple but I do like the option of making life easier if possible. I have had my set up for a few years now and managed quite well with the manual winch, but where I intend launching in the future should mean the tyres and the back cradle/rollers will be the only thing getting wet. This is why I was looking at the option of a electric winch.
Just spent a load sorting the trailer - new axle, hitch, roller brackets etc. etc. so there is no issue with the friction of the rollers.
Thanks for the comments.