Old 04 April 2005, 22:04   #21

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Just about every US state (at least every one I know about) requires the use of safety chains; no requirement for these in the UK?

Safety chains are a short length of chain bolted to the trailer tongue, which are crossed under the tongue and fastened (usually by a "J" hook, ut the quick link screw things work OK as well) to the vehicles' trailer hitch. Typically, the chains hang down by 6" or so to allow enough slack for turning. Theory is that if the trailer should come off the hitch, the chains will support the tongue, keeping it from digging in to the asphalt (think pole-vaulting boat), while at the same time not allowing a runaway trailer.

jky
Old 04 April 2005, 22:40   #22

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Nope; no law about having to use chains here. I think these probably work more effective than the loops of wire we have, especially if they are properly fastened to the car (unlike a loop which is just looped around).
Old 04 April 2005, 22:58   #23

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
As far as I know the driver is being prosecuted for an insecure load which is easy to prove. The trailer has been impounded for Construction and
Use checks which is what you are all talking about. I will keep you posted on the findings. There is another thread going on here at the moment which includes transportation of fuel. I am the first to agree that some health and safety checks are OTT but when you see the consequences of what can happen there is no argument?
Martyn
Old 06 April 2005, 18:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Nope; no law about having to use chains here.

Thanks Tim; Learn something new every day.

jky
Old 06 April 2005, 20:50   #25

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
I have a Hallmark four wheel trailer which carries my Pacific 22.Apart from the normal hitch there is also a loop of chain which was fitted retrospectively by a previous owner.I fitted a Witter ballhitch to my Landcruiser which has a removable pin.I take the pin out,pass in the loop of chain,pin back in and connect up the trailer in the normal way.If the trailer becomes detached then I have 2.7 tonnes of plastic and metal joining me in the back seat-good eh!
Old 06 April 2005, 22:12   #26

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
I know the question was asked at the scene "did you you have a safety rope/chain attached?" but I agree with the past few threads there does not seem to be a requirement for a safety system for an unbraked trailer? Mind you, if you had a safety rope/chain attached it would be hard to prove that you had an "insecure load". Another point worthy of mention is, although the driver was insured to tow, this was only on a third party basis- he has lost everything.
Martyn
Old 07 April 2005, 06:55   #27

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
..there does not seem to be a requirement for a safety system for an unbraked trailer? .....Martyn
Eh? I thought we had covered the requirements for "secondary couplings" earlier?
Old 07 April 2005, 12:52   #28

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ds_506866.hcsp

It seems rather stupid to me that unbraked trailers must have a secondary coupling but braked trailers must have a cable to apply the brakes.

For an unbraked trailer the secondary coupling must keep the nose of the trailer off the ground and still attached to the vehicle - fair enough!!! What seems truly bizarre is that a braked trailer must be allowed to detach itself and apply the brakes!!!

It would seem to me far more sensible to use a secondary coupling on ANY trailer - in fact I always do so but I wonder if I were to do so on a braked trailer and had an accident if I would be punished as that is not what the law requires?

Also didn't realise there was no legal requirement for the weight of the vehicle/trailer to be matched.
Old 07 April 2005, 14:52   #29

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Doesnt the vehicle weight and trailer weight get covered on the GTW figure on your VIN plate i.e. Gross Train Weight = 6000kg implying that say your car weighs 2500kgs then the max trailer size is 3500kgs.

But as you said Codprawn vehicle and trailer arent matched, though you would expect the manufacturer to have figured that in when they produced the plate.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2005, 18:54   #30
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
There was a discussion about trailer breakaway cables here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4530

But I think the upshot was that if you had a large heavy trailer attached to the back of your tow vehicle only by a cable or chain, then, at speed this could be unstable and cause you to lose control of the towing vehicle.
Nick.
Old 07 April 2005, 19:02   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
For an unbraked trailer the secondary coupling must keep the nose of the trailer off the ground and still attached to the vehicle - fair enough!!! What seems truly bizarre is that a braked trailer must be allowed to detach itself and apply the brakes!!!
I don't see this as it's written:

Quote:
For trailers up to 1500kg laden weight it is permitted to use a secondary coupling, which in the event of separation (NOT failure) of the main coupling will retain the trailer attached to the towing vehicle, prevent the nose of the trailer from touching the ground and provide some residual steering of the trailer.
Key word there is "permitted", rather than "required".

Quote:
Above 1500 kg laden weight the trailer must be fitted with a device to stop the trailer automatically in the event of separation (NOT failure) of the main coupling and this is normally achieved by a breakaway cable attached to the parking brake mechanism - the trailer becomes detached from the towing vehicle.
Doesn't say you *can't* use a secondary coupling, just states how it is normally done.

Personally, I'd use safety chains, and a slightly longer breakaway cable in case the chains fail.

OTOH, my trailer doesn't have brakes, and I am required to have the chains anyway.

jky

It would seem to me far more sensible to use a secondary coupling on ANY trailer - in fact I always do so but I wonder if I were to do so on a braked trailer and had an accident if I would be punished as that is not what the law requires?

Also didn't realise there was no legal requirement for the weight of the vehicle/trailer to be matched. [/QUOTE]
Old 07 April 2005, 20:57   #32

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
It seems rather stupid to me that unbraked trailers must have a secondary coupling but braked trailers must have a cable to apply the brakes.

For an unbraked trailer the secondary coupling must keep the nose of the trailer off the ground and still attached to the vehicle -
You can use a secondary coupling on a braked trailer and it must keep the nose of the trailer off the ground. However, not all policemen know that. But, it seems that you then can't use the break away cable also. It's one or the other. I've lost track of the relevent acts etc. but it was discussed a long time ago on Ribnet.
Old 07 April 2005, 21:25   #33

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
There have been a few nasties around here with couplings failing. Usually old cast couplings rather than newer pressed ones. These old cast ones normally have a hole thru which you can put a padlock or a retaining bolt to stop the handle being lifted and the coupling releasing. One or two have come off on a steep ramp round here as the boat went from the flat to the slope and weight went off the coupling . Saw one run down the whole length of a normally very busy slip which luckily was empty of people and kit at that moment. Had there been anyone behind it it would have killed them for sure. One of our club members wrote off a parked mini when his car went round the bend but his trailer did not, and a 6.3m rib wrote of a black taxi when it parted company with the towing vehicle and crossed the main road after the outfit hit a well known bump on a fast main road around here. Its been on our course notes here for years to use a reliable secondary coupling on unbraked trailers and to put a pin thru that hole in cast couplings.