Old 19 February 2008, 19:25   #1

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Dixon Bate

Just a quick word of thanks to the guys at Dixon Bate. I got my rapide trailer serviced end of last year by indespension and was shocked by a really heafty bill for 1st service - it needed new brakes, wheel bearing, bowden and breakaway cables at just under £300.

Anyway, was on the phone to Dixon bate about something else and mentioned this to the guy who was basically stunned. He especially questioned the bowden cables as they are stainless and should last 3 years. He asked what colour the replacement ones were (they are black) which were not stainless so he sent up a new set free of charge which got lost in the post. Another set arrived today.

AS an aside, was really not happy with the service from indespension and will certainly not be going back:

- Bradley coupling assembly looked untouched (There was grease on the grease points that had solidified from when I last greased it - ie this had not been touched). This is supposed to be fully cleaned and greased as part of service.
- Replacing stainless bowden cables (only 1 was sticky btw) with non stainless is just daft
- Brake pads looked fine to me so I have to question if they needed to be replaced as a complete unit - I have the units that were removed - autoreverse spring was badly corroded but I believe this is a seperate part based on indespensions website
- Fair enough about the bearing as the oil seal had blown, but they did not replace the oil seal! They were also unable to tell me where the relief point on the bearing saver was when I asked when collecting the trailer (i wanted to check it was where I thought it was)... very odd!

Anyway, you live and learn!
Old 19 February 2008, 19:39   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
That sounds like normal professional work to me.
Old 19 February 2008, 20:33   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
similar story,
New Company Land Rover, took it in for a service, and i marked a few items,for instance i wrote "change me" with a special pen on the oil filter and put a few marks on the wheels nuts,
this was for a 36k service, and they touched nothing,
all they did was change the oil, £550 bill arrived, for new brakes and full service,

i really went to town on them, Told Land Rover etc

Hartwell Bristol Land Rover!!! (they have since closed)
Old 19 February 2008, 21:49   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I'll second Al40's tale-recently had some odd warranty bits needed doing on my Dixon-Bate and they were on my doorstep next day. No questions asked.
Very impressed with them.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote