Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Disk brakes

All

we are forever having issues with our dive club trailer. As we don't use it enough the breaks seize and drop the shoes with regular occurrence - and that's after a wash out after each use.
One of the guys has suggested disk breaks may help with this. Not something I've seen before.

Any suggestions on this as an idea please? It's a 4 wheel trailer with a 5.4 viking on top.

Ta

Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 15:45   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Hydraulic disks are awesome! Easy to flush, they work super smooth with plenty of stopping power, the stainless doesn't corrode, and they are super low maintenance.
Old 10 September 2014, 16:12   #3

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
If only they were available in the uk!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 16:30   #4

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
If only they were available in the uk!
Surely there's an opportunity for someone to do these. Wouldn't it be great if you could stop worrying about brakes & bearings every time you take the boat !!

Not much good to you TrailerGuy but I bet you'd have loads of work converting. Are they prohibitively expensive?
Old 10 September 2014, 16:37   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Wouldn't it be great if you could stop worrying about brakes & bearings every time you take the boat !!
You have the same bearing issues with disk brakes. Maybe more, as disk brakes drag a bit while running, meaning more heat to the bearings.

The advantages are that all the brake components are visible, so it's easy to inspect that part of the system.

Quote:
Are they prohibitively expensive?
They're not cheap. Do a search for Kodiak Stainless Disk brakes. An All-Stainless kit runs about $500 US per axle. You can get coated mild steel components for less though (and apparently can pick and choose on what components are stainless or not.)

jky
Old 10 September 2014, 17:13   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'd imagine type approval would be the biggest hurdle & the market probably isn't big enough to make it cost effective to do it

Does the op leave the park brake on or reverse up an incline to park so the shoes are in contact with the drums
I assume they stick when parked?
Old 10 September 2014, 17:35   #7

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Rapide where offering the about 5 years ago, but don't think the offer them any more + they are now part of Mersea trailers.
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 22:20   #8

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Part of the issue with offering disc brakes on trailers in the UK is legal requirement for the auto reverse feature.

Not so easy to engineer with discs.

I've had a mechanism sketched out for a few years, but haven't gone anywhere with it.

Nasher
Old 11 September 2014, 01:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Part of the issue with offering disc brakes on trailers in the UK is legal requirement for the auto reverse feature.~
Nasher
What is the auto reverse feature?

Is that something that cuts the brakes loose when backing up? Super easy, put a solenoid in triggered by the reverse lights. A 5th wire is a common trailer connection in the USA.
Old 11 September 2014, 18:14   #10

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
What is the auto reverse feature?

Is that something that cuts the brakes loose when backing up? Super easy, put a solenoid in triggered by the reverse lights. A 5th wire is a common trailer connection in the USA.
Unfortunately electric activation isn't legal over here.
It has to be fully mechanically automatic as the trailer is pushed backwards by the tow vehicle.

If electric operation was acceptable here I'm sure we'd all have them.

Nasher.
Old 11 September 2014, 19:12   #11

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Marine spec brakes are standard issue on boat trailers in the USA, from riveted brake shoes to stainless fastners & galavanised parts throughout.

I'm fed up replacing basic parts every 6-12 months on a frequently sea dipped trailer!!! Don't even mention bearings.
Old 11 September 2014, 21:08   #12

I find it odd that in the UK you can't have hydraulic brakes on a trailer, yet you can on a vehicle. Build the brake system with redundancy if you must, but disk is far superior along with hydraulic in so many ways. Why take the braking system back to what we used in the 1920's, that today would be deemed unsafe.

The biggest benefit of the UK system is to have a parking brake, but even still wheel chocks are superior, and work on a hill going backwards.

As to reverse and cutting the brakes loose, our trailers here have a place to put a "coin" or the proper part which fits into the trailer tongue not allowing the brake to mechanically function.

cptsideways, to protect your bearings, have you ever tried giving each wheel a pump of grease right before launching? Gives it a positive pressure instead of a negative as the hot bearings hit the cold water.
Old 11 September 2014, 21:41   #13
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
All

we are forever having issues with our dive club trailer. As we don't use it enough the breaks seize and drop the shoes with regular occurrence - and that's after a wash out after each use.
One of the guys has suggested disk breaks may help with this. Not something I've seen before.

Any suggestions on this as an idea please? It's a 4 wheel trailer with a 5.4 viking on top.

Ta

Andy
Do you leave it with the brakes on?? If you do try chocking the wheels instead first as that the cheapest option before going down the disc brake option.

Chris
Old 13 September 2014, 18:26   #14

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Do you leave it with the brakes on?? If you do try chocking the wheels instead first as that the cheapest option before going down the disc brake option.

Chris
Hi - nope - but they still seem to be able to seize up.

So in short they aren't legal in the UK?

Is that just for sale or can one be built / retro fitted?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2014, 10:08   #15

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
My Dixon Bate trailer has 2 axles with WAP disc brakes.

Not perfect but much less work than the previous standard drums on the old boat. Seems to be much easier to keep them working properly (mostly for show on the 5.5m - nice to feel them coming on the 7m)

All carbon steel but its easier to keep them flushed.

Also you can remove the discs and callipers without opening the bearings - no rust to drop in. 6 years old and still on same bearings. 2nd set of pads.

Auto reverse mechanism requires frequent strip downs to keep working but its a fairly easy job.
Old 15 September 2014, 12:29   #16

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I have a reasonable <tow distance to # launches> ratio, and use the fresh water flush thing (sprays "clean" water around inside the hubs). Ihave only once ever had my brakes sieze - when I accidentally left them on one night after I arrived and forgot to drop the handbrake lever after I chocked it.... Granted with the flush I then usually tow for at least 40 mins with plenty of hiills to allow things to warm up & dry off on the overrun....

Friend kept his at a marina dry storage so was in & out the water every weekend with no chance of drying everything off. (but did flush) He took tyhe boat out a couple of times a year by road to go other places. All he did was remove all the brake gubbins when he got back as he reckoned he wasted less time re- installing the clean components before he left twice a year than fighting to un- sieze everything.
Old 15 September 2014, 13:42   #17

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Some years back we had a trailer that had vacuum operated brakes that worked off the inlet manifold on the engine and had a good sized tank. It basically had a set of bellows that operated the trailer brakes. There was a hand control lever by the flasher stalk and you could use the trailer brake before applying the vehicles brakes, which made it very nice under under braking, far superior to the push me pull you nonsense we normally have to endure.
Old 15 September 2014, 14:02   #18

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
Some years back we had a trailer that had vacuum operated brakes that worked off the inlet manifold on the engine and had a good sized tank. It basically had a set of bellows that operated the trailer brakes. There was a hand control lever by the flasher stalk and you could use the trailer brake before applying the vehicles brakes, which made it very nice under under braking, far superior to the push me pull you nonsense we normally have to endure.
Back in the mid 90's I was looking to make use of a little known piece of legislation that allowed the LR Disco to tow 5000kg with coupled air brakes. A couple of firms quoted to build the trailer and I actually tried a 3.5T version from a firm somewhere near Southampton. Very very effective, load stopped easily and the trailer was rock solid even under a heavy right foot.

But there were lots of moving parts and all of the manufactures would only warranty the trailer if I didnt dip it, seemed a bit daft to have a trailer and use a crane all the time. Before I made a decision the 97 trailer regs came in and they killed the idea.
Old 15 September 2014, 16:26   #19

Are electric brakes common in the UK? They are used on every camping trailer/caravan trailer here in the USA, along with hauling trailers, and livestock trailers. We use a brake controller mounted under the dash which allows the driver to control the braking of the trailer.
Old 15 September 2014, 16:46   #20

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Are electric brakes common in the UK? They are used on every camping trailer/caravan trailer here in the USA, along with hauling trailers, and livestock trailers. We use a brake controller mounted under the dash which allows the driver to control the braking of the trailer.
Nope, illegal in the Uk.Most of our trailers run on tech from the 50's