Old 10 July 2014, 09:07   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Discovery towbar issues

If any of you are using a Discovery with a detachable towbar, I suggest you read this:
Tow bar on the Discovery 3, Land Rover Discovery Revies and Report, Land Rover Discovery Recall
Old 10 July 2014, 09:15   #2

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Have they actually done a recall now?
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 09:17   #3

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Trailer Accident - Removable Towbar Failure

I have a detachable, and would prefer a fixed but havent had any problems with mine.

I have put a cable tie on the twist lock to stop that moving, as that seems to be the main problem that causes the rattle.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 09:43   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
No recall as far as I can see. Advice seems to be that the disconnectable tow hitch is not designed for everyday day use and if the vehicle is being used for towing on a regular basis, a permanent mounted hitch is recommended.
All tow bars and hitches have to be tested and are E marked to be legal for use in the EEC. I don't believe that an "occassional" use towbar would be permitted. How do you define occassional use?
They can be a bit of a fiddle to fit, especially if there is dirt in the receiver, if it wasn't fully home before the key is removed, I guess it could come off?
Whether it is a design fault or user error, there have been several incidents and making owners aware has to be a good thing, so they check their own hitch.
Personally I have bever used removable hitches on my own vehicles, I like lots of nuts and bolts holding it all together.
Old 25 July 2014, 21:15   #5

Length: 7m +
Have used XC90 with detachable towbar for 8 years to tow twin axle caravan and 7m rib, no probs.

Went to replace it earlier this year with Disco4 and was shocked to find LR Dealer telling me (as I was pricing up some additions I wanted to a lightly used 2013 car they had in stock) that I couldn't use a detachable towbar if I was towing regularly and/or heavy loads as they have instances of towbar detaching. They intimated that it was more a case of the head wearing in the socket and coming away than anything to do with incorrect fitment/user error.

Bought a new XC90 and put a Westfalia detachable bar on in the end. Lovely bit of kit that is completely invisible when bar is detached (all electrics and mounting are tucked up behind rear valance).

Old 25 July 2014, 21:36   #6

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
A few years ago EVO magazine ran a RR Sport TDV8 as a long term demo car for about 1 year, the towbar on that fell off while towing a car trailer.
Old 26 July 2014, 11:58   #7

Length: 5m +
Did a quick search on disco3.co.UK and a couple of the discussions imply that LR have updated their policy on removable towbars. Key points made are that the noseweight for removable shouldn't exceed 150kg and it is for leisure (not commercial) use. If you're towing heavy loads (above150kg nose weight) or on a constant basis they advise a fixed towbar. Here's a link to one of the discussions (I haven't finished reading the full discussion yet)
http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic105414.html
LR quote -
"Hi All,*

Just to make you aware, following the concerns raised I have done some further investigation with our internal teams to understand the topic. Hopefully, the following should clarify the situation.*

Firstly, I would like to clarify that there is not a safety recall on the detachable tow bar in any of the worldwide markets.*

There is however, a campaign running in Ireland.*

It has been identified that where customers are regularly towing heavy or multi axle trailers (where the nose weight may exceed the 150Kg restriction) or where the trailer remains continuously attached, the towing equipment fitted to the vehicle may not be the optimum for this type of use.*

Continuous attachment to the vehicle of the quick release towing equipment (even when not in use) is not recommended as this can lead to unnecessary wear of the tow bar and receiving socket. When not in use the quick release towing equipment should be detached from the vehicle and securely stowed in the rear of the vehicle.*

Due to the market conditions in Ireland, a voluntary inspection campaign is taking place. There is currently no requirement for this to take place in the UK market.*

For customers outside of Ireland, if you have a concern with your detachable tow bar, I would advise that you visit your local Land Rover Approved dealership and allow them to carry out checks on the condition and wear of the tow bar.*

Many thanks,*
Pete"
Old 26 July 2014, 12:18   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Fit the HD additional plate and brackets. The removable hitch alone is a bit crap and is prone to rattling.
Old 03 August 2014, 00:00   #9

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
What a pile of junk. Any towbar that has the ability to just fall off has NO place on any tow car, regardless of its use. What the hell happened to type approval? Some twit going to tell me my welding isn't good enough for a tow hitch but yet decide that something that can fall off in normal use is OK........

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 21:14   #10

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
Agreed. 94/20/EC is the type approval criteria (recently amended to Regulation 55 IIRC). Before being given type approval they're meant to go through rigorous fatigue testing (the design, not every bar, clearly), equivalent to around 2,000,000 push-pull cycles. Only then should it be given type approval status.

I recently posted a story, on my FB page, pertaining to this exact problem. A Discovery towbar became detached, whilst towing a double horse trailer. Both animals were hurt, but neither killed/destroyed and, incredibly, no people were injured either. Amazing, especially when you see the photographs.

I'm a big Landy fan (run a 110 commercial), but the chaps in the green Oval Office need to look at this more strenuously.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2014, 21:18   #11

Town: North Uist
Boat name: Hebdiver
Make: Rebtec
Engine: Tonhatsu 90 tdli
I had read about this and really just put it to the back of my mind to be something to be aware of, then driving through Inverness last year I saw a caravan sitting in the middle of the road with a tow bar and ball still in the socket and dug in to the road way and a disco reversing back to it, ouch, glad to see it happens in 30 mph limit than driving along the motorway. So the next disco gets a full fit tow bar.
Old 03 August 2014, 21:20   #12

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 90 Mariner
If anyone's interested, it's on Camilty Equestrian's Facebook page
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2015, 19:39   #13

Sorry to resurrect but I've just received a recall on my Disco4 for the removable towball. They will check for wear and if necessary replace with a fixed one. Will let you know the outcome once I've been to the dealer.
Old 25 August 2015, 22:34   #14

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Sorry to resurrect but I've just received a recall on my Disco4 for the removable towball. They will check for wear and if necessary replace with a fixed one. Will let you know the outcome once I've been to the dealer.

Same here

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2015, 06:31   #15

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
had mine done a few weeks ago, no issues, all sorted and the washed it while it was there
Old 26 August 2015, 07:23   #16

I'll say it again, junk the removable and invest in the HD tow kit, it's a proper job. My F in Law has his HD set-up swapped by the dealer every trade up at no cost. It's on the 4th Disco and still looks sharp.
Old 26 August 2015, 07:31   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
...and still looks sharp.
Not that outlasting three Discos would put many years on it
Old 26 August 2015, 07:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Not that outlasting three Discos would put many years on it
3x warranty period. The current barfed its p/steering fluid over the drive recently.
Old 26 August 2015, 08:42   #19

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
the HD setup is fine if you only want it for towing, but if you want use the motor off road then the detachable tow jaw is the only way to go. as I understand it the detachable tow jaw only causes problems if it's left in continually, then it will corrode, and could eventually detach. so why buy a detachable tow jaw and leave it attached ��
Old 26 August 2015, 12:22   #20

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
the HD setup is fine if you only want it for towing, but if you want use the motor off road then the detachable tow jaw is the only way to go. as I understand it the detachable tow jaw only causes problems if it's left in continually, then it will corrode, and could eventually detach. so why buy a detachable tow jaw and leave it attached ��

Because with all the towing we do its a pain in the arse on off on off ... You never have to tow your ribs you have a private tractor on call

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote