Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 02 January 2015, 06:02   #1
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
CLH trailers

I'm now seriously looking at a new trailer for the Vipermax.

Apart from downhilldai, does anybody else on here have a trailer built by CLH Trailers? Of all the ones I have seen this looks like the best candidate for the starting point, so I was really just looking for ideas to form a clear requirement in my mind before I go to CLH with the spec for discussion - in case there is anything I've not thought of. Broadly the spec is a rollercoaster trailer, lots of rollers for hull support, strong frame, and an axle that can accept Land Rover 5x165 wheels.

If there are any others with a CLH, any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Ta
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 07:50   #2
Member
 
Trailer Guy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 855
This is a pic of one I serviced for the Alex Thomson / Vendee Globe race. It was very well made. You can see how substantial the support is around the a-frame. Hope the pic helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	560752_309160439195136_306764294_n.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	101926  
__________________

Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 09:35   #3
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,592
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
This is a pic of one I serviced for the Alex Thomson / Vendee Globe race. It was very well made. You can see how substantial the support is around the a-frame. Hope the pic helps.
That looks familiar
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 09:41   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,592
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
I'm now seriously looking at a new trailer for the Vipermax.

Apart from downhilldai, does anybody else on here have a trailer built by CLH Trailers? Of all the ones I have seen this looks like the best candidate for the starting point, so I was really just looking for ideas to form a clear requirement in my mind before I go to CLH with the spec for discussion - in case there is anything I've not thought of. Broadly the spec is a rollercoaster trailer, lots of rollers for hull support, strong frame, and an axle that can accept Land Rover 5x165 wheels.

If there are any others with a CLH, any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Ta
What's the reasoning Steve? What happened to the SBS & why are you looking at CLH. The only reason I ask is that I'm in the market for a new trailer & was looking at another SBS. I'm also having a sniff around Van Claes
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 10:53   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,787
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
What's the reasoning Steve? What happened to the SBS & why are you looking at CLH. The only reason I ask is that I'm in the market for a new trailer & was looking at another SBS. I'm also having a sniff around Van Claes

Hi Dave give this guy a phone he did mine in Sept and put it on the ferry. Made to your spec and the Galve steel is a heavier guage. All the extras you want and very easy to deal with. Good guy his name is Derrick. Hope it helps.
Maverick Rides
Address:Unit 7, Tobermore Business Centre
Desertmartin Road, Tobermore
Northern Ireland
MAGHERAFELT
County Londonderry
BT45 5SG
Cheers
B



Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 13:01   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 297
Pics of CLH trailers in action

.
As commercial operators working on the west coast of Scotland we aren't always fortunate enough to have a decent slip to work off. Trailers must be built to withstand launching over beaches and uneven ground. We only use CLH trailers, build quality has proved excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02 on the slip 0645-500.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	101937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Voy1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	101938   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished boat 03.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	101939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Into the water-500.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	101940  
__________________
Tony Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 16:20   #7
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
What's the reasoning Steve? What happened to the SBS & why are you looking at CLH. The only reason I ask is that I'm in the market for a new trailer & was looking at another SBS. I'm also having a sniff around Van Claes
There is nothing inherently wrong with the SBS trailer I have, except that it doesn't fit the Vipermax hull properly due to the curved keel. Never having seen a Vipermax prior to purchase, I didn't know this, and thought the combination of a line of keel rollers and bunks would support it well. It doesn't, and the boat see-saws on the two keel rollers in the middle which means most of the weight is on the bunks which in turn makes it a pig to get off the trailer.

An SBS rollercoaster type is one option, but after some research I think the CLH looks the best bet, DHD's one has lots of rollers fitted which is what I want. Again, I'm buying blind, never having seen one, so recommendations for or against from people who have spent their own money are always a good guide. Reading things like Tony's post above is very reassuring - my Vipermax has never seen a proper slip in its life since the test run before leaving the UK!

Thanks for the comments so far
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 16:26   #8
RIBnet supporter
 
Chris Caton's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,199
to be fair to SBS they did offer to add extra swing beam, longer roller sets, other axle combinations etc when I was looking at buying a new trailer
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Wirral Division)
Chris Caton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 16:37   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Just to throw another one in the mix I have one of these http://www.admiraltrailers.co.uk a good strong set up with Peak axels
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2015, 16:48   #10
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,592
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with the SBS trailer I have, except that it doesn't fit the Vipermax hull properly due to the curved keel. Never having seen a Vipermax prior to purchase, I didn't know this, and thought the combination of a line of keel rollers and bunks would support it well. It doesn't, and the boat see-saws on the two keel rollers in the middle which means most of the weight is on the bunks which in turn makes it a pig to get off the trailer.

An SBS rollercoaster type is one option, but after some research I think the CLH looks the best bet, DHD's one has lots of rollers fitted which is what I want. Again, I'm buying blind, never having seen one, so recommendations for or against from people who have spent their own money are always a good guide. Reading things like Tony's post above is very reassuring - my Vipermax has never seen a proper slip in its life since the test run before leaving the UK!

Thanks for the comments so far
Ah! I didn't realise you had a bunked trailer My SBS is a roller type & fits the boat perfectly..........now
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.