Old 08 November 2011, 18:44   #1

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Bunk glides

Note: I am not affiliated with this company at all.

My Ali RIB sits pretty high on my trailer to allow the tubes to clear the fenders. Consequently on poor quality flat ramps its surprisingly difficult to launch without getting the truck soaked in salt water. I always wanted rollers, but couldn't afford major trailer surgery to get them. I compromised. I was sceptical bunk glides would be worth the money and boy was I wrong. These Trailer Bunk Slides and Pads, Boat and Jet Ski Trailer Glides and Pads
things are unbelievable. They seem to be even easier than rollers would be.
Old 09 November 2011, 14:57   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
For a cheaper route (sorry, Jack), a trip to the local plastics supplier and a bit of cash for HDPE bars, about 1/4" to 1/2" x 4" or 6" by however long you need them, plus a bit of time to countersink holes will do the trick. If you can find it, UHMW is a bit harder material, but it's also more expensive.

Jack: I was thinking that you only need the glides on the forward part of the bunks, since the boat should be contacting partways up when recovering. When launching, the stern will try to float off before the supported bow lets go. Seem right to you?

jky
Old 09 November 2011, 15:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
For a cheaper route (sorry, Jack), a trip to the local plastics supplier and a bit of cash for HDPE bars, about 1/4" to 1/2" x 4" or 6" by however long you need them, plus a bit of time to countersink holes will do the trick. If you can find it, UHMW is a bit harder material, but it's also more expensive.

Jack: I was thinking that you only need the glides on the forward part of the bunks, since the boat should be contacting partways up when recovering. When launching, the stern will try to float off before the supported bow lets go. Seem right to you?

jky
Yes UHMW might have been cheaper, if I wanted to find it, drill and countersink all the holes and basically make them.
At alot of my launches the stern won't float off at all. At least not until the truck is partly in the water. They are generally decent launches at high tide, but low tide is often a no-go. So I put glide on the whole bunk. In the grand scheme of boating, $125 was really nothing. These work great and they fit perfectly so I'm happy with them.
Old 09 November 2011, 16:31   #4

Town: Richmond, B.C.
Boat name: ZAP
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 70 HP Tohatsu
Thanks for your "Bunk Guide" posting Jack . I have the same problem regarding low tide launches with the big plus that the guides would lift the rib just that little bit higher giving me much needed tube clearance over the trailer wheel fenders.
Old 09 November 2011, 17:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by solos60 View Post
Thanks for your "Bunk Guide" posting Jack . I have the same problem regarding low tide launches with the big plus that the guides would lift the rib just that little bit higher giving me much needed tube clearance over the trailer wheel fenders.
Yeah my bunks are raised as high as they can go to get the clearance between the tubes and the fenders. Which made it surprisingly difficult to launch. I am hoping the new glides keep the truck that much further away from salt water.