Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Trailers & towing
Click Here to Login

Old 13 September 2017, 19:39   #1

Make: Narwahl + Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu M40c/ 50Md2
Building trailer for a Thundercat

I got convinced or rather lured into buying a Thundercat. That was actually the easy bit, now I need to solve a few challenges - amongst them is the trailer. And for that I would appreciate your input.

I have a quite new (2 months old) boat trailer which i bought for a RIB earlier this year (dare I say "summer"?). Its a trailer for a 16' boat capable of 600kg load - overkill for a Thundercats, but I'm not really going to sell it, as I got a good deal on it, so I will go with a conversion.

I've spend a lot of time searching for plans and ideas for how to build it. Generally it is looking very straight forward -two bunks in the right hight covered with carpet and we're done. The uprights can easily be attached by reusing the clamps that previously held the side rollers; There are two cross members in a suitable distance for this and the uprights are being produced as I write this

However... as this is a typical Danish trailer, it's quite narrow. The inside distance between the fenders is 125 cm , so the boat must be elevated enough to "hover" above the fenders. Again -not difficult, and the uprights are being cut at this length.

BUT, how on earth do you launch and retrieve the boat ? - With the RIB it was a hook and a bit of winching - but I do not see this happening here.

-Any idea to building a ramp? An extension of the bunks acting as ramp?
-Should i make the bunks tilt upwards like lorry-bed? (even toyed with the idea of building a frame inside the trailer that was launched with the boat on top;

or... should I simply drive the thing into the water far enough for the boat to float? (the towbar is rather long so it should be possible and the wheel bearings are about 22 Pounds each -not a massive cost in consumables for a yearly service)

Do I which the boat up ? or do I break out the good old chest waders, jump into the water and push the boat up?

Please, do share your inputs here.
thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean-750-HF.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	121842  
Old 13 September 2017, 20:41   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Float on and off with the aid Of the winch when pulling on and change the wheel bearings each year that's all I do with my sib.
When retrieving use a rope to pull the trailer out of deep water or soft sand
Old 13 September 2017, 20:44   #3

Town: gloucestershire
When I had a trailer with full length bunks I used to float the boat on and I had waders !.

I think you answered your own questions.
Old 14 September 2017, 07:14   #4

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
I used a double jetski trailer for mine. It was narrow like yours. I used a winch and never had any issues. You can easily launch/recover these straight onto the sand by yourself. You'll soon see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7612.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	121847Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6429.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	121848
Old 14 September 2017, 12:58   #5

Luke, thanks for the encouragement - question, where to you attach the winch to ? The tow pad ? or with a bridle going from the transom ? Maybe I just need to get the trailer build and launch the damn thing - stubbornness is not a power to be disregarded.
Old 14 September 2017, 13:02   #6

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomountainshere View Post
Luke, thanks for the encouragement - question, where to you attach the winch to ? The tow pad ? or with a bridle going from the transom ? Maybe I just need to get the trailer build and launch the damn thing - stubbornness is not a power to be disregarded.

I built a which post to bring it level with the bunks and attached the winch hook on the loop under the nose cone, plenty strong enough!

Tip, when your launching, just tip it right up, hold the bow, pull trailer out with other hand and lose boat onto sand/water

Recovering just do the reverse and let the trailer tip up when winching on

But if your on a proper slipway with deep water it'll just float on/off
Old 21 September 2017, 16:37   #7

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
As Luke said, you can either float it off if it's a proper slipway, or just lift the bow of the boat and tip it in like that. Easily done on your own, I've never used a winch for mine. The trailer I've got just now is a bit narrow, the mud guards are under the hijackers which means the boat has to sit very high, it's a bit annoying but really not much of an issue
Old 21 September 2017, 18:31   #8

Done with the trailer - found the right galvanized box section and claps. Took a few hours and a can of the local brew, a few CCs of cutting oil and copious amounts of coffee - had a blast. Plan is to pick up the new motor Saturday and launch the thing on Sunday. MAN - I'm looking forward to it. Will be a OK slip, so let's see.