Old 21 September 2004, 17:51   #11

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
If this works it should be a couple of pictures of the broken part before it was welded back on a bit lower down.

Old 22 September 2004, 05:23   #12

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I found that you could buy the same trailer for around 300-400 less if you bought it elsewhere.
I ended up buying a Snipe and taking it with me when I went to collect the hull. Total cost for a multi 24 roller with keel rollers, spare wheel and clamp, upgraded cast hitch, two spare hubs, tie downs, tub of grease and spare bolts/fixings and other odds and sods about 1150.

Old 22 September 2004, 06:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Bear
I found that you could buy the same trailer for around 300-400 less if you bought it elsewhere.
I ended up buying a Snipe and taking it with me when I went to collect the hull. Total cost for a multi 24 roller with keel rollers, spare wheel and clamp, upgraded cast hitch, two spare hubs, tie downs, tub of grease and spare bolts/fixings and other odds and sods about 1150.
That looks a good price, was it a braked trailer or un-braked ?
& where did you manage to get it at that price ?
Old 22 September 2004, 06:12   #14

The trailer was only 980 inc vat, the other hundred and fifty or so paid for all the accessories and spares.
I just phoned around playing each dealer against each other till I got the best price and bought it from FYM in Grangemouth.
It is unbraked, brakes if you don't need them are a major pain in the rear.
Old 22 September 2004, 06:39   #15

Quote:
brakes if you don't need them are a major pain in the rear.
I know what you mean, but because this is towed behind normal saloon cars its nice to have the extra braking sometimes, especially when going down some of the hills in Cornwall last week. Humber did try to sell us a trailer without brakes for 1000, saying it was within limits & ok if we had a 4X4 perhaps we would have gone this way.
Old 23 September 2004, 18:14   #16

I DO have a 4x4
Old 24 September 2004, 00:39   #17

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Quote:
My first unbraked admiral -2 swinging arms and sixteen rollers,no spare wheel but with locking hitch-cost me a lot less then that new,PM me if you want details,it was under a year ago so I shouldnt think that they have gone up much.
Old 24 September 2004, 14:55   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
This thread has quite surprised me as I thought that bramber had a good reputation but some of these pictures. I have to admit to being a bit of a trailer anorak and keep checking out trailers to see what nifty feature they have built in, how well they are made and how cleverly designed etc.

The trailers that over the years have consistently impressed me are REBA or RIBA trailers from Belgium (burp) does anybody have any adverse info on these.

I think boats manufacturers don't really give a damn about trailers thathey supply with theboats. A mate of mine bought a new trailer with his new Ribtec (well he was a mate up until I wrote this anyway) and the trailer they supplied him with is too short for the size of the boat IMHO. Also its got a very flimsy bracket that the jockey attaches to. urggh
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2004, 17:45   #19

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
This thread has quite surprised me as I thought that bramber had a good reputation but some of these pictures. I have to admit to being a bit of a trailer anorak and keep checking out trailers to see what nifty feature they have built in, how well they are made and how cleverly designed etc.
Yeah, we get quite a few boats with various types of trailers passing through locally, and I nearly always have a close look to see what's different in each case like the winch placement, boat placement on trailer etc... Some are good, some are bad - I wouldn't put Bramber in the bad though, and would definately buy another one if/when the time arose.

The only thing that concerns me however is the sealed wheel bearings which are meant to last ages - I can assume that that would be in ideal conditions where you drop the trailer in for 30seconds, winch boat on, and whip back out quickly again, but I may be wrong. I don't tow the boat long distances (the only long distance travel was from Hull to Milford nearly 2 years ago) so I have no idea when I will need to replace these bearings. At a guess, it'll probably be around the 3 year mark whether they're grumbling or not.

-Alex
Old 24 September 2004, 17:51   #20

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown
so I have no idea when I will need to replace these bearings. At a guess, it'll probably be around the 3 year mark whether they're grumbling or not.

-Alex
Guess again..... mine lasted .. ooo.. let me see..... 4 months... ya can't strip and lube 'em see...