Old 12 October 2011, 20:12   #21

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino View Post
May I be so cheeky (sorry Trailer Guy) to suggest that you replace the wheel bearings while you have the hubs off
No need to apologise to me! It's a great idea to check everything whilst it's apart.

PS. I'm of the don't grease your wheel studs / bolts school. Been servicing trailers for nearly two decades - never have and never will. Sorry!
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2011, 20:59   #22

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Little slow progress here...Well, anyway now have new new shoes and new brake cables( changed to the red one). I have new bearings as well(thanks Hector for including them into the sale) so Yes, why not change them also. And off course a few questions...

- on the new long-life cables, the inner wire is protected by a plastic coating(black), should i still squeeze some marine grade grease in to it? Nothing about the grease on the advert(http://www.al-ko.co.uk/edit/files/do...wden-cable.pdf)
- what is the best way to remove the bearing from the drum, there is a steel ring keeping it in place?

The price here seams little steep...pair of shoes was 99 euros and cables 64 euros. Should have ordered from UK, think would have been cheaper even including postage!
Old 24 October 2011, 14:39   #23

Brake cables over here are about £18.00 / 20 euro each. An axle brake set is around £50 / £58 Euro.

If the 'steel ring' is the one on the back of the drum, this is the oil seal. Knock it out (through the centre of the drum, from the other side) and the rear bearing will pop put. Don't forget to change your bearings races (cups) too.

There shouldn't be much need to grease them, but a little oil (not too much, lest it runs back in to your drums!) wouldn't do any harm. To be honest, they should stay pretty maintenance free for quite few years.
Old 24 October 2011, 16:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Guy View Post
Brake cables over here are about £18.00 / 20 euro each. An axle brake set is around £50 / £58 Euro.
Thanks. Would have saved a few Euros by ordering from UK...

I have a full bearing kit, similar to "Bearing Kit for Alko 2051 hub (WBK29) http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Al_ko_Hubs.html" so races included.

What grease are You using in the hubs, was recommended Mobil xhp 222 special. At least no corrosion on the bearings after one year, but its pretty cheap so might not be the best stuff?
Old 24 October 2011, 17:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
I have a full bearing kit, similar to "Bearing Kit for Alko 2051 hub (WBK29) http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Al_ko_Hubs.html" so races included.
hmmm... I'd check those bearings. The ones you've quoted above are specifically for an Alko drum (casting number 2382660001), rather than an Indespesion one (likely casting number 4889).

I'd have thought the bearing numbers you'd want would be:

Inner cone LM48548L
Inner cup LM48510
Outer cone LM48548
Outer cup LM48510

Easy way to tell is measure the dust caps. The Alko dustcap should be 47mm, whereas the Indespension one will be 65mm.

I may be misleading you, and you have the right ones, but just check before you knock the old ones out.

Grease I use is Castrol Pyroplex Blue, but I get it in 12.5kg drums
Old 24 October 2011, 20:45   #26

Thanks, You are a really careful! Your totally right, only the inner bearings in the link was correct, my bad. Now re checked, this is the correct set and that's also what I got:

Indespension Drum 200mm 4XM12 5.5IN PCD (ISBR176)
Indespension replacement drum, 200mm diameter for 50mm wide brake shoe. Casting number B7717, 4 x M12 wheel bolt 5.5" (139.7mm) PCD.
Takes Bearings: Inner 67048L, Shell 67010, Outer 44649, Shell 44610, The seal is attached to the inner bearing.

I did not realised what a jungle this bearing world would be. Think the trailer is Roller Coaster 1.3HE,(or almost identical) details on picture & tech specks are the same. Suits the SR pretty well.

Thanks again.
Old 24 October 2011, 21:00   #27

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 3.3,75
Quote:
Takes Bearings: Inner 67048L, Shell 67010, Outer 44649, Shell 44610, The seal is attached to the inner bearing
Hi Ben , sorry to jump in , Just a quick question.

As you know I have exactly same hubs / bearings etc as c-numb , Except there is an Extra Seal on the inside of the hub. someting like 62 46 7 metal bodied

Is this extra seal needed aswel as the seal attached to the 67048L bearing ?

Thanks Alan.
Old 24 October 2011, 21:08   #28

Sounds like you've got one of the older drums then, before they swapped castings. Which is good for you, because they're a really common bearing used in that hub. You should have no problem tracking down another set, if you need to.

I've just got a new Roller Coaster 1.3 myself, after replacing the original trailer (also a Roller Coaster 1.3!) the other month. The original one was about 12 years old and was still in excellent condition. All the u-bolts had rusted out and the brake backplates were on their way out, but the chassis etc was still really good. They're a good bit of kit. I fitted a swing beam to the front (the same as on the back), instead of the fixed cross member with dumbell rollers. Makes the trailer even easier to use! I miss the mudguard steps though - the new trailers don't have them fitted.

A flushing kit might be worth thinking about, if you launch in to salt water. May make your new investment, in brake shoes, last a little longer!
Old 24 October 2011, 21:11   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzi View Post
Hi Ben , sorry to jump in , Just a quick question.

As you know I have exactly same hubs / bearings etc as c-numb , Except there is an Extra Seal on the inside of the hub. someting like 62 46 7 metal bodied

Is this extra seal needed aswel as the seal attached to the 67048L bearing ?

Thanks Alan.
Hi Alan

Yes, this is the 'super-hub' seal. It's the final seal, at the back of the drum. If you've done the work in replacing the bearings etc, then I'd do the seal as well. Don't pay more than about £8 each.

All the best, Ben
Old 24 October 2011, 21:41   #30

Town: Lancashire , Scotland
Boat name: TARKA
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: 3.3,75
Thanks Ben ,

Stupid Me !!! , I just realised after I posted , It was part of the Bearing Saver Kit I was told about when I bought the Boat n Trailer.

Alan.
Old 24 October 2011, 21:56   #31

If your old ones look ok (i.e. still flat and the rubber seal's not damaged) you can re-use them.
Old 06 November 2011, 19:20   #32

Quote:
S I fitted a swing beam to the front (the same as on the back), instead of the fixed cross member with dumbell rollers. Makes the trailer even easier to use! I miss the mudguard steps though - the new trailers don't have them fitted.

A flushing kit might be worth thinking about, if you launch in to salt water. May make your new investment, in brake shoes, last a little longer!
Great idea to add a swing beam, need to consider that for next season. Wonder what postage here would be... Project done,thanks for the help. Like the AL-KO brakes, basically You dont need much tools, everything works as snap on. Pretty straight forward exept for removing the bearings races
might benefit from some special tool...

The additonal "oil seal"(not the one included in the bearing kit) did not look in that that great
condition, will need to check that one next time. Did not fully understand the function of that one as there is another seal very close but suppose there is a function anyway.
Old 06 November 2011, 21:08   #33

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Ohh Trailer Guy . I have just read your info on the break cables.
I ordered Stainless for my new axel and they seem to be mild steel. BUGGER.
WILL be calling Indespension on monday and kicking thier arse's
Old 07 November 2011, 19:37   #34

Quote:
Great idea to add a swing beam, need to consider that for next season. Wonder what postage here would be... Project done,thanks for the help. Like the AL-KO brakes, basically You dont need much tools, everything works as snap on. Pretty straight forward exept for removing the bearings races
might benefit from some special tool...

The additonal "oil seal"(not the one included in the bearing kit) did not look in that that great
condition, will need to check that one next time. Did not fully understand the function of that one as there is another seal very close but suppose there is a function anyway.
Can find out for you, if you want. Could always go across in kit form and I get a good deal from UPS!

Also, that seal is a secondary 'super hub seal'. It's designed to keep the grease inside the boss, where the bearings are, and not to let it out in to the workings of the brake drum, when under pressure from the bearings saver.

Weel done on seeing it through to the end, by the way, you'll have gained some useful experience in the dark art of trailer maintenance!
Old 07 November 2011, 19:37   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza2011 View Post
Ohh Trailer Guy . I have just read your info on the break cables.
I ordered Stainless for my new axel and they seem to be mild steel. BUGGER.
WILL be calling Indespension on monday and kicking thier arse's

Hope you were gentle with them and kept my name out of it!
Old 18 November 2011, 17:49   #36

Quote:
Can find out for you, if you want. Could always go across in kit form and I get a good deal from UPS!

Also, that seal is a secondary 'super hub seal'. It's designed to keep the grease inside the boss, where the bearings are, and not to let it out in to the workings of the brake drum, when under pressure from the bearings saver.

Weel done on seeing it through to the end, by the way, you'll have gained some useful experience in the dark art of trailer maintenance!
Thanks As we have compulsory MOT check on braked trailers over here, not a bad thing to have some understanding how the brakes works, that's the main thing that typically need to be checked. Used it previous weekend, no issues.

Regarding the swing beam, will send You a PM!
Old 20 November 2011, 20:26   #37

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Ben,

I used some marine grease on the adjusters when putting my brakes back together rather than the copper stuff. Is this going to be an issue? I have used it in the past with no issues and have found the brakes easier to service 6 months down the line as a result...?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2011, 21:44   #38

Hey Chris

No, not at all. To be honest, some brands of 'coppa slip' aren't up to much. The spray on stuff is pretty poor, in my opinion. I do use the good, brush-on, stuff on services myself though.

However, there's no reason why a decent grease wouldn't do the same job. It's certainly more than they do at the factory in most cases!

All the best, Ben

PS. Good job on the renovation
Old 25 May 2012, 18:45   #39

Quote:
Hi Alan

Yes, this is the 'super-hub' seal. It's the final seal, at the back of the drum. If you've done the work in replacing the bearings etc, then I'd do the seal as well. Don't pay more than about £8 each.

All the best, Ben
As my SR still lives in the garage when doing some minor mods in the stern ....Would be a good moment to change the "super hub" seals. It's the metal bodied ones, does any one know the part number?
Old 29 May 2012, 07:43   #40

Still trying to find "super hub" seals

New try, very quiet... So the drum is "Indespension replacement drum, 200mm diameter for 50mm wide brake shoe. Casting number B7717, 4 x M12 wheel bolt 5.5" (139.7mm) PCD"

Bearing kit does not include "super hub" seals and cant find any part number either. Anyone ? Thanks