Old 02 June 2004, 03:01   #11
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by Richard B
As far as life jackets go, always buy the "Hammar" type auto inflate jackets for use in a RIB. The soluble salt type are not really suitable for use on an open boat and can go off if left on board or in a humid environment.
Although it is true that there have been occasional instances of this happening, I absolutely wouldn't agree that it makes this sort of lifejacket unsuitable for use on a RIB. They are fine!

Many people have gone huge distances in horrible conditions with this sort of lifejacket with no problems.

The only time that I have had a lifejacket inflate prematurely was when we took a large wave over the bow off Cape Wrath a few years ago. There were four of us, all wearing auto gas lifejackets. Three were the conventional sort and one was a Hammar. Two of them fired, one of which was the Hammar!

I would have no hesitation in using a conventional auto gas lifejacket on a RIB. I wouldn't bother paying extra for one with a harness either as it's not necessary -- you're not going to be clipping onto anything.

I do agree with getting an automatic lifejacket though, and wearing it!

John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2004, 11:30   #12
Town: York/Kingsbridge
Boat name: No Nonsense
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp
Hi.. we spend the whole summer (well, July/August) in Kingsbridge/Salcombe, and use the boat most days. Offer of help from locals is fantastic but if I can add anything just pm me. We dump the boat in at Salcombe early mornings and shoot off to the beach - returning when the rush has died down (about midnight peak summer!!!). Exaggerating, but it does get congested.
Also, why don't you think about replacing the bearings yourself.. it's a fairly easy task, demonstrated in pictures on Dave Mallet's website.

wetterthebetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2004, 12:05   #13
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I would have no hesitation in using a conventional auto gas lifejacket on a RIB.

I do agree with getting an automatic lifejacket though, and wearing it!

I would agree - although itís worth finding an auto gas where the cylinder and auto bit are in a water proof pocket thatís only open at the bottom. This stops water thatís running down the inside of the jacket from triggering the auto unit. My old Typhoon used to go off all the time in rough weather - never had a problem with my current Baltic 150 which has the pocket.

DJL is offline   Reply With Quote