Old 01 June 2004, 21:04   #1

Town: Malmesbury
Boat name: Gladiator
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 50
Boat Trailer Repairs

Hi all,

My name is Mark and I'm new to this forum and RIBs!
I have just bought a second hand 4.9 Gladiator RIB from Southampton and hope to pick it up this Saturday. The RIB is in good condition but the trailer wheel bearings are not. What I'd like to do is try and get the wheel bearings replaced before I pick up the boat and tow it back to Wiltshire where I live.
Could anyone suggest a good company in the Southampton area who could do this for me before Sat?
I'm looking forwards to getting out on the water and hopefully meeting some of you. I plan to do most of my RIBing in the Dartmouth/Salcombe area so any advice on lauching/mooring sites would be very help full.
Plus any advice on life jackets to buy?
I told you I was new to all this!

Look forwards to hearing from you,

Mark
Old 01 June 2004, 21:15   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
If you wanted to do DIY you could get trailer parts from Towsure, (can't insert a link) try a search on the web.

Otherwise Indespension at Parkgate, 01489 571133 and ask for Andy.

Your right to get them replaced as tonight on my way home from work I passed a new unfinished Ribtec on the side of the road with it's old trailer's wheel off, I turned around to offer help and to ask if this guy was a RIBnet member, he wasn't and was waiting for someone from Indespension.

Look forward to seeing you about

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2004, 21:21   #3

Town: Malmesbury
Boat name: Gladiator
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 50
Thanks Hightower - thats exactly what I want to avoid.
I'll contact them tomorrow.
Old 01 June 2004, 21:34   #4

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Life jackets

Hi Mark good luck with the trailer. Regarding the life jackets go the rib net home page and have a look at the features section. There is some good information on jackets that will help with the type then it just a case of shopping around. I went for the 150N autos with harness (just because the buckle is stronger) remember a re-arm kit and thigh straps but you need to check sizes etc.
Nice part of the world you plan to use was there last month.

Neal
Old 01 June 2004, 21:51   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Mark,
Another trailer repair place would be Autoweld at Northam in Southampton. I don't have the number to hand at the moment.

I've just come back from the Salcome/Dartmouth area and you'll really enjoy using a RIB down there. If you launch on the Salcome Estuary (not really an estuary, actually a ria as there's no river) you will need to pay harbour dues. Best to get a monthly or quarterly ticket as daily ones are v. expensive - contact the Harbourmaster on 01548 843791 http://www.southhams.gov.uk/harbours/Harbours.htm Slipways are a bit limited by tide. Kingsbridge is a good wide slip at the end of the quay car park but only useable a couple of hours either side of HW, and worth studying the river bed at low tide as it's treacherous sticky mud! Salcome has a slipway in the town centre which is less restrictive but more awkward for access and parking. I don't know much about Dartmouth http://www.dartharbour.org.uk but I don't think their charges are as steep as Salcombe.

As far as life jackets go, always buy the "Hammar" type auto inflate jackets for use in a RIB. The soluble salt type are not really suitable for use on an open boat and can go off if left on board or in a humid environment. Unfortunately these are more expensive! As Neal says, the "with harness" type also have a stronger buckle and I like this. Guess what, the "Hammar + harness" are the most expensive!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2004, 22:14   #6

Town: Fareham
All good advice......If your looking for a budget jacket and as whilst your in the area, go to Aladins Cave at Swanwick 023 80402182. They have a good selection of jackets with the Ocean Safety comming tops on a test for practical boat owner Magazine (I think), has built in spray hood and is quite comfortable for about £70/£80, fully Auto with harness. They have lots of other leading makes as well.

Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2004, 22:53   #7

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Orca
Make: Cranchi
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo Penta KAD43
Mark,

Try Brixham, the slip is nice and wide. The marina is an easy place to leave your rib for a few days.

Salcombe is graet but it's tricky keeping a rib on the water. (Do'nt know about you but my insurance company don't like me mooring anywhere tidal not in a marina anyway.)

Last year however I spent a couple of days with "Salcombe Houseboat Holidays". They have boats in the estuary and they don't seem to mind you tying a rib to their houseboats(didn't actually ask them) (not sure what my insurance situation was)

I'm not sure about Dartmouth, the public slip seems to be a bit too close to the ferry for comfort (mine anyway).

Mike
Old 02 June 2004, 02:40   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I agree with Richard B. Aoutoweld is a good place to get your trailer fixed and a lot more cost effective than Indispension. (although advising somebody to go to indispension is not bad advice)

if it's of interest to you we run a Charter company and sell off all our safety stuff every two years at very cheap prices. We have about 30 Ocean safety Jackets ( the jackets are being tested right now) and pots and pots of Flares which we are replacing
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2004, 08:00   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi Mark Salcombe for me just can't be Beeton! I have been boating there since I was a kid ( some would say I still am )
Salcombe dose get very bizzy & if you want a mooring for a week you normally have to book up in January when they open there books that is the Harbor master it cost about £40 for harbor dues & the same for mooring which will dries out at low tide ( if you can get one near to the channel up to Kingsbridge you can get on or off about 1 hour ether side of low water!)
The slip is good all states of the tide but bizzy, trailer park get very fall cost about £20 the week! I have heard but not used the park & ride is one option, park up leave car & trailer for a week return when ready on the bus for just the one return fair!
If you do not have a tender the Harbor master runs a water taxi which is a pound a trip if I remember correctly.
There is a Fuel barge if you do not want to mess about with cans.
Not really any where to more up if you want to pop in to town I normally go behind the visitors pontoon with out too much problem! Or just send the wife & stay on the bout & people watch.
Great beaches for kids & great pubs for Mums & Dads.
I have not tried the house boats but they did advertise the fact that you could moor up you rib to the H.B. so I can not see a problem.
I will be down their from the 2nd of July for a weak hope to see some of you there!
P.S Mr Cooke posts hear is based in Salcombe!
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	girls fishing.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	6127  
Old 02 June 2004, 08:01   #10

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
If you have any specific questions PM me and I'll give you my number - I live in Salcombe and I'm familiar with the area.

Salcombe Harbour office - 01548 843791

Dart Harbour Office - 01803 832337

If you have any questions about the houseboats I know the owner - hope that helps!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2004, 08:01   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
As far as life jackets go, always buy the "Hammar" type auto inflate jackets for use in a RIB. The soluble salt type are not really suitable for use on an open boat and can go off if left on board or in a humid environment.
Although it is true that there have been occasional instances of this happening, I absolutely wouldn't agree that it makes this sort of lifejacket unsuitable for use on a RIB. They are fine!

Many people have gone huge distances in horrible conditions with this sort of lifejacket with no problems.

The only time that I have had a lifejacket inflate prematurely was when we took a large wave over the bow off Cape Wrath a few years ago. There were four of us, all wearing auto gas lifejackets. Three were the conventional sort and one was a Hammar. Two of them fired, one of which was the Hammar!

I would have no hesitation in using a conventional auto gas lifejacket on a RIB. I wouldn't bother paying extra for one with a harness either as it's not necessary -- you're not going to be clipping onto anything.

I do agree with getting an automatic lifejacket though, and wearing it!

John
Old 02 June 2004, 16:30   #12

Town: York/Kingsbridge
Boat name: No Nonsense
Make: Prosport
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp
Hi.. we spend the whole summer (well, July/August) in Kingsbridge/Salcombe, and use the boat most days. Offer of help from locals is fantastic but if I can add anything just pm me. We dump the boat in at Salcombe early mornings and shoot off to the beach - returning when the rush has died down (about midnight peak summer!!!). Exaggerating, but it does get congested.
Also, why don't you think about replacing the bearings yourself.. it's a fairly easy task, demonstrated in pictures on Dave Mallet's website.
Old 02 June 2004, 17:05   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
I would have no hesitation in using a conventional auto gas lifejacket on a RIB.

I do agree with getting an automatic lifejacket though, and wearing it!

John
I would agree - although it’s worth finding an auto gas where the cylinder and auto bit are in a water proof pocket that’s only open at the bottom. This stops water that’s running down the inside of the jacket from triggering the auto unit. My old Typhoon used to go off all the time in rough weather - never had a problem with my current Baltic 150 which has the pocket.