Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 September 2008, 04:52   #1
Member
 
iandl's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
best winch for trailer for launching 8m rib

having been caught out by the winch handle i'm looking at replacing my hand wind strap winch......current one does the job but dont like the free wheeling spinning it does and now looking at replacing it......
i would prefer not to have a 12v supply but will do if a powr winch is whats recommended

ideal would be a 2 speed hand winch of some sorts

any recommendations?

alos considering a recover style auto latch system i saw somewhere but cant for the life of me find the link


Ian
__________________

__________________
iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 05:41   #2
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
My winch has a removable handle that I take off when paying out the hook. Would this not be a soloution?
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 06:31   #3
Member
 
iandl's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
My winch has a removable handle that I take off when paying out the hook. Would this not be a soloution?
I possibly could but it needs a socket and wrench .......bit of a pia doing it but worth it i suppose to a brocken wrist........just wondering about other options

cheers

Ian

ps the seat and backrest molds are done .......just need some home time ....and the LR's running ...things are looking up
__________________
iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 07:10   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
I possibly could but it needs a socket and wrench .......bit of a pia doing it but worth it i suppose to a brocken wrist........just wondering about other options

cheers

Ian

ps the seat and backrest molds are done .......just need some home time ....and the LR's running ...things are looking up
I had one like this, the handle comes off on a sliding clip two speed etc and I fitted 10 m of webbing to it.
It was still a pain so I went electric

http://www.autow.co.uk/trailer_parts...info_4051.html

Jim
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 07:31   #5
Member
 
iandl's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
I had one like this, the handle comes off on a sliding clip two speed etc and I fitted 10 m of webbing to it.
It was still a pain so I went electric

http://www.autow.co.uk/trailer_parts...info_4051.html

Jim
Cheers Jim,
Autow is where i got the last one from .......I looked at it at the time and dismissed it cause of price ........might get another look now though ....

matter of interest what have you got now .....any pics?

thanks

Ian
__________________
iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 07:40   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
I had a removable handle on a previous Indespension trailer, someone nicked it. Surely with a modicum of sense, it's possible to avoid a clout from a fixed handle.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 08:52   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,815
Fulton 2,600 lbs pull two speed, freewheel and a brake. Fixed handle.
Not impressed with removable handles esp when I get a phone call like last weekend asking if I had such a handle cos they had travelled to the launch site near us and left theirs in the garage at home. Just one more bit of kit to lose/forget.
__________________
Dave M
www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 09:16   #8
Member
 
iandl's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Surely with a modicum of sense, it's possible to avoid a clout from a fixed handle.
well i consider myself with a modicum of sense. The winch ratchet locking arm was a very poor fit under load, the winch was almost brand new, used 2wice ....i bought cheap (40)and it suffered from a pish locking lever .....the boat was fully winched up onto the trailer when it went bang and i couldnt hold it and took a slap ....all happened in milliseconds ...it wont happen again.
Even looking at it now it appears to look and work fine but when theres a load on it its a different matter, just too sloppy made ...

hence the listing for a decent tried and tested winch



I
__________________
iandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 11:07   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandl View Post
well i consider myself with a modicum of sense. The winch ratchet locking arm was a very poor fit under load, the winch was almost brand new, used 2wice ....i bought cheap (40)and it suffered from a pish locking lever .....the boat was fully winched up onto the trailer when it went bang and i couldnt hold it and took a slap ....all happened in milliseconds ...it wont happen again.
Even looking at it now it appears to look and work fine but when theres a load on it its a different matter, just too sloppy made ...

hence the listing for a decent tried and tested winch



I
Yeah, bin it and get a decent one. As mentioned, i'd not bother with a removable handle. I have little faith in winch ratchet mechanisms and wouldn't ever haul out relying on the winch alone as I see many doing.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 11:24   #10
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I had a removable handle on a previous Indespension trailer, someone nicked it. Surely with a modicum of sense, it's possible to avoid a clout from a fixed handle.
It's removable! Put it in your car like I do
__________________

__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.